Gampel: five games
FG%: 49.28%
3pt%: 42.4%
FT%: 73.24%

XL: five games
FG%: 39.12%
3pt%: 33.76%
FT%: 66.42%

Is it a lack of practice time there? or something else? But the numbers obviously show we shoot noticeably worse at XL.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
selling any analysis on this subject that doesn’t control for strength of schedule

It could be even, but the fact it wasn’t mentioned makes me wonder

Reaction Score
XL is in their heads no question. These guys, including DH, don't want to be in the building. If DH had his way all homes at Gampel.

Reaction Score
selling any analysis on this subject that doesn’t control for strength of schedule

It could be even, but the fact it wasn’t mentioned makes me wonder
While that could be true, FT% shouldn't be affected by strength opponent

Reaction Score
Games at Gampel
  • Central: Kenpom defense #319
  • LIU: #202
  • Grambling: #265
  • SJU: #85
  • Georgetown: #251

Games at XL
  • Coppin: #219
  • Binghamton: #268
  • MES: #243
  • Providence: #48
  • Butler: #63
  • Creighton: #31

The level of defense we're playing has been better at XL, by a long shot. Particularly these last 3 games. There's not as much to see here as you think there is.

Reaction Score
And Yet Ryan Hawkins lit it up there.
Those two prayers he made proved to be a difference maker. Obviously, playing as poorly as UConn did in every facet didn’t help.

I have learned to accept that they are gonna miss close range shots/layups and have seen plenty of games where it’s been pretty bad. I can’t remember a game as bad as tonight with the amount of missed bunnies within 3 feet of the basket. I mean it was women’s basketball bloopers bad

Reaction Score
XL is in their heads no question. These guys, including DH, don't want to be in the building. If DH had his way all homes at Gampel.
The Gampel vs XL Center argument will live on forever as long as that building is still standing. It is ironic how we have played some bad games in Hartford this year. Providence, MD Eastern Shore, and now Creighton. Who knows if it really is something where the players and staff legit do not like playing there, but at the same time, we have played some bad games in Gampel over the years as well.

Reaction Score
I wonder is Hurley does what Calhoun use to…

Calhoun would go into Hartford a couple days prior and the team would stay at the Hilton so they could practice a couple times at HCC before game day
I read about this in one of Calhoun’s books. I was surprised because I obviously never knew that. But, It’s actually a very smart idea. I would hope Hurley does the same.

Reaction Score
Could it have something to do with the size of the building and space behind the basket to the crowd? Might throw off the player’s depth perception when shooting? Coincidentally we played some of our best games at Atlantis, where the arena was very small and the crowd was right on top of the court.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Fact if life is we have to play games outside of Gampel, whether XL, road games, MSG, NCAA… Gampel ain’t gonna save you in the postseason. Figure it tf out.

Reaction Score
If you can't win at XL you have no chance on the road. I think Hurley hates it and that has rubbed off on the team.
Chief agrees with that assessment.

Reaction Score
How exactly is a building full of UConn fans neutral?
Team spends entire season and off season at Gampel except for road games & a few hours 7 days a year when they bus 30 miles to XL....would hardly call XL a real home court unless it's packed for a big game on a weekend....which is very rare indeed.

It's not the old BE, only a few games will pack XL anymore.

Last edited:

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
Gampel: five games
FG%: 49.28%
3pt%: 42.4%
FT%: 73.24%

XL: five games
FG%: 39.12%
3pt%: 33.76%
FT%: 66.42%

Is it a lack of practice time there? or something else? But the numbers obviously show we shoot noticeably worse at XL.
Needs more sage.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Being a state school has meant that UConn has agreed to play a certain number of games in the capital city. There is no way around it.
That being said, I hate these league games in Hartford, especially when school is in session
But it is what it is and they play there enough to not let it bother them that much - its now head games
Why not pull a JC and spend a few nights in Hartford and shoot there over a few days rather than cram a 2 hour shooting session prior to game

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Was it full of UConn fans tonight? Because it didn’t look very full at all on TV.
They announced 10k but calling that a neutral court is not what a neutral court is. They shot 22% outside of Whaley and the refs were abysmal. There was literally nothing to cheer for save for a few minute tease in the 2nd half. Bottom line is the team needs to be able to put the ball in the basket at arenas that aren’t named Gampel.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom