Team(s) who got screwed yesterday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Team(s) who got screwed yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The "beat someone out of conference" argument is new. The committee used to treat all games the same. If you beat a 38 RPI team, that was a good win, whether the team was in the conference or out of it. A good win was a good win.

I am really suspicious of the advanced metrics, because they seem to have a big P5 bias in them. RPI is simple and fair.

The last 5 teams in didn't really deserve to be there, but I have a hard time getting too upset about the exclusions, most of whom didn't deserve to be there either. St. Bonaventure was the one exception. A winning record vs. Top 50 and Top 100 with as many games as they played is usually a guaranteed bid.

There is nothing simple or fair about the RPI. It's much more important to lose a road game by 60 to the #1 RPI team than beat the #50 RPI team at home. That is ridiculous and dumb.

Reaction Score
Saint Mary's: play somebody...anybody!...out of conference

Agree. As this SFGate article states:

"Bennett said he might need to take a look another look at his team’s nonconference schedule. The Gaels beat Stanford by 17 and gave Cal a tough game in Berkeley before losing 63-59 on Jabari Bird’s three-pointer with 15 seconds left. They routed Cal State Bakersfield, which won an NCAA bid with a dramatic win in the WAC tournament title game. St. Mary’s beat Grand Canyon, a 25-6 team.

On the other hand, it played just one road game in its nonconference schedule — the Cal game — and that was its only non-league loss."

Reaction Score
Agree. As this SFGate article states:

"Bennett said he might need to take a look another look at his team’s nonconference schedule. The Gaels beat Stanford by 17 and gave Cal a tough game in Berkeley before losing 63-59 on Jabari Bird’s three-pointer with 15 seconds left. They routed Cal State Bakersfield, which won an NCAA bid with a dramatic win in the WAC tournament title game. St. Mary’s beat Grand Canyon, a 25-6 team.

On the other hand, it played just one road game in its nonconference schedule — the Cal game — and that was its only non-league loss."

If you're trying to defend your tournament worthiness by saying you beat Cal State Bakersfield and Grand Canyon at home, you need to shut up.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
According to RPI, Akron (#36) should be in with an 0-1 record against teams in the top 80, and Princeton (#39) should be in with a 1-6 record against the top 130.

It just doesn't work as a stand-alone metric.

RPI is a pretty good starting point, and for about 20 years was probably 50% of the selection criteria and things seemed to work out OK. Akron did have a 36 RPI but was 0-1 vs. the Top 80, so they are an easy "no". Using an extreme example to make a point against a different school is kind of silly.

I am sure RPI played a big role in South Carolina not getting a bid, and I don't think many dispute that decision.

St. Bonaventure had a winning record vs. Top 50 and Top 100, and had enough games against both categories to be relevant. None of the other bubble teams were clear cut, and I think they deserved a bid.

Teams like Vanderbilt are the ones that really bug me, both in RPI and advanced metrics. They have a 63 RPI, which is poor, and you have to get to their game against #189th team in the country, Austin Peay, to get them to a .500 record. .500 record against the Top 189 is a pretty easy "no", except the SEC apparently needed a third bid and Vanderbilt has a lot of "good losses".

Reaction Score
West Virginia gets to play the 33rd ranked Kenpom team in the country in the 1st round, and they are a 3 seed. They are only a 7 point favorite. They got screwed.

Oklahoma gets to play a team ranked between Alabama and Nebraska by Kenpom in round 1.

Reaction Score
West Virginia gets to play the 33rd ranked Kenpom team in the country in the 1st round, and they are a 3 seed. They are only a 7 point favorite. They got screwed.

Oklahoma gets to play a team ranked between Alabama and Nebraska by Kenpom in round 1.
I noticed the West Virginia one earlier today in looking for upsets. I really like WVU, and so do the advanced metrics. And that sucks for SF Austin, who might otherwise have been a great upset pick.

Arizona as a 6 potentially getting Wichita also feels messed up--for both. Arizona is the one PAC team who the metrics love, and they get underseeded, and WSU is really good--might be favored in that matchup, if it happens.

Reaction Score
I noticed the West Virginia one earlier today in looking for upsets. I really like WVU, and so do the advanced metrics. And that sucks for SF Austin, who might otherwise have been a great upset pick.

Arizona as a 6 potentially getting Wichita also feels messed up--for both. Arizona is the one PAC team who the metrics love, and they get underseeded, and WSU is really good--might be favored in that matchup, if it happens.
Agreed that SFA would be an upset pick if they were not playing WVU, who I have in the F4

Reaction Score
Is this you?

hotels_2.png
Hey..Thats my high school buds son. "He doesn't need him now".

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Monmouth losing to 3 or 4 terrible teams wipes out the sorta good wins (ND a 6 seed, and USC an 8; Georgetown and UCLA both sucked so they don't count). I'm a tad surprised George Washington didn't get in, and very surprised Tulsa did get in (although I admit after seeing Wichita St. in, who Tulsa beat, and the other three American teams seeded decently, I wasn't that surprised when their name finally popped on the board: I actually thought that Houston might have got in at that point).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Vanderbilt just proved they didn't belong. The teams that get in because of their "good" losses usually exit early.

caw

Reaction Score
On that note UConn was 6-9 against the field +SMU. 1-2 Cinci, 1-2 Trmple, 1-1 Tulsa, 1-1 SMU, 2-3 OOC (Cuse, Zags, Maryland, Michigan, Texas). One bad loss to Houston.

Colorado was 4-10 against the field +SMU. 1-2 Zona, 1-1 Oregon, 1-1 OSU, 0-1 USC, 0-2 Utah, 1-1 Cal, 0-2 OOC (ISU, SMU). Bad losses to UCLA and Washington.

Bad losses being teams not in the tournament. Of course that isn't the end all be all, because Colorado played higher seeded teams on average. God I can't wait for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom