Team Rebounding | The Boneyard

Team Rebounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
One of the major flaws in this team is its proclivity to dash down court before actually collecting the defensive rebound. This is leading to second chance points and wide open threes.
This team is going to have to win on defense. And half of good defense is rebounding.
It is not as if these dashers can finish on the other end. Gibbs and Purvis are notorious for blowing wide open layups. Hamilton and Calhoun often fumble the ball away once pressure is applied.
Adams is the only guy who and finish with speed. He should be the only one allowed to release.
Purvis is a very strong kid and should be required to crash the defensive boards to help out our front line. Gibbs should stay back and try to to coral the long rebounds and the lose balls.
Collecting these rebounds will help to stop the other teams runs when our offense goes south.

Reaction Score
It's actually amazing the way DHam rebounds over everyone. Just wish he would get tighter on his shooter.

Reaction Score
It's actually amazing the way DHam rebounds over everyone. Just wish he would get tighter on his shooter.

I guess we can't have both huh? Part of DHam's rebounding ability is the fact he reads the game so well, but sometimes he does it off the ball and if the other guy doesn't shoot it we find his guy wide open due to his anticipation. Hey the kid can rebound, but he can also leave the rest of the defense on scramble alert when he cheats too much.

Reaction Score
One of the major flaws in this team is its proclivity to dash down court before actually collecting the defensive rebound. This is leading to second chance points and wide open threes.
This team is going to have to win on defense. And half of good defense is rebounding.
It is not as if these dashers can finish on the other end. Gibbs and Purvis are notorious for blowing wide open layups. Hamilton and Calhoun often fumble the ball away once pressure is applied.
Adams is the only guy who and finish with speed. He should be the only one allowed to release.
Purvis is a very strong kid and should be required to crash the defensive boards to help out our front line. Gibbs should stay back and try to to coral the long rebounds and the lose balls.
Collecting these rebounds will help to stop the other teams runs when our offense goes south.

There was one play that jumped out to me yesterday in the first half where he was on the wing set up for a jumper from 20 plus and DHam penetrated but didn't kick and instead threw up a runner. After the miss the ball went up in the air towards the top of the foul line and Rodney had not moved and did not move to get the rebound, he was the closest guy if he even bothered to fall into place after DHam threw it up. I hate this when they don;t crash and just watch. I tell my son constantly to quit watching and go try to make a play. This is an issue with this team, remember we have Kemba, Bazz and Boat leading the team in rebounding some games. As you said Rodney with his strength should easily get 5-6 a game if he wants to.

Reaction Score
Ferraris don't wait for others to catch up to them, they jump out and stay ahead.

Rodney is by far the most lethal in transition. Yeah, he blows layups from time to time, but he attacks the rim on a direct line and defenders have to keep note of that. Easy points or a foul leads from his transition most of the time.

It about everyone tagging their man on D and boxing out. KO had this problem with the '14 team too, ended up being okay.

Reaction Score
Ferraris don't wait for others to catch up to them, they jump out and stay ahead.

Rodney is by far the most lethal in transition. Yeah, he blows layups from time to time, but he attacks the rim on a direct line and defenders have to keep note of that. Easy points or a foul leads from his transition most of the time.

It about everyone tagging their man on D and boxing out. KO had this problem with the '14 team too, ended up being okay.

Fine against some teams but it won't be against SMU. They throw it up and go get it, very aggressive on the O Boards. If our guys aren't all in 2nd chance points will be an issue.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Hey the kid can rebound, but he can also leave the rest of the defense on scramble alert when he cheats too much.
Bingo.

A major reason his rebound numbers are so good is due to his drifting from his man towards the lane to get into rebounding position.

Reaction Score
Fine against some teams but it won't be against SMU. They throw it up and go get it, very aggressive on the O Boards. If our guys aren't all in 2nd chance points will be an issue.

I agree, but in our win against SMU last year we excelled because of our transition, specifically by Purvis who scored 28. I think the much bigger issue than our actual rebounding is keeping Brimah and Miller out of foul trouble.
If that happens, we shouldn't have too difficult a time on the glass.

Be much more worried about Gibbs guarding Nic Moore

C

Chief00

I will breakdown the rebounds/transition issues in my Brief's; I will say as a tease the one reason Rodney can't lead the break is he is one handed - he can't go left.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I agree, but in our win against SMU last year we excelled because of our transition, specifically by Purvis who scored 28. I think the much bigger issue than our actual rebounding is keeping Brimah and Miller out of foul trouble.
If that happens, we shouldn't have too difficult a time on the glass.

Be much more worried about Gibbs guarding Nic Moore
Purvis should be on Moore for the lions share of that game. If it's Gibbs we are in trouble.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I am amazed that very few people question Miller's lack of rebounds
The guy is an offensive threat when he uses the glass and when he looks for the ball and comes to the action.
But someone of his size and quickness should be battling for rebounds and I hardly ever see him mix it up.
As I have said, at home games from my seat, I like to isolate on guys and when watching Miller, as an opponents shot goes up, he tends to step away and turn to the sidelines getting ready to fast break.
He's a 4 and should be looking to rebound and outlet. Many times when the opponents grab an offensive rebound it is his mark.
I love SM but question his rebounding - Jeff Adrien was no bigger yet much more aggressive.

Reaction Score
I am amazed that very few people question Miller's lack of rebounds
The guy is an offensive threat when he uses the glass and when he looks for the ball and comes to the action.
But someone of his size and quickness should be battling for rebounds and I hardly ever see him mix it up.
As I have said, at home games from my seat, I like to isolate on guys and when watching Miller, as an opponents shot goes up, he tends to step away and turn to the sidelines getting ready to fast break.
He's a 4 and should be looking to rebound and outlet. Many times when the opponents grab an offensive rebound it is his mark.
I love SM but question his rebounding - Jeff Adrien was no bigger yet much more aggressive.

Last night in his defense he seemed to be guarding smaller perimeter players quite often, was not near the basket a lot. He also does battle but doesn't come up with enough I agree. He did get a real nice rebound in traffic and the big guys from Tulsa ripped his arm off the ball and they ended up with a lay in off an obvious foul. But you are correct, we could use 7-8 out of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom