team needs to learn to KO a team with 10 minutes left | The Boneyard

team needs to learn to KO a team with 10 minutes left

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
love this team,but they need to have that sucker punch to the balls to finish a game. the UCF game and tonight game they just could not pull away. last year walker would hit that big shot to end teams and start a run.

Reaction Score
It's a tough thing to learn. UCF we eased off the throttle, but today it felt more like Florida State just counter-punched every time we got a little seperation and we never really had the game in control. I think the two times we got the lead up to 10, they came right back with a three-pointer. And remember - last year in the NCAA Tournament, the start of the second half was always a problem. Ten-point leads against Cincy, SDSU, Arizona and Kentucky all melted away.

Reaction Score
A big part of our problem is our half-court execution s*cks most of the time. I think the addition of Boatright and his ability to get into the paint will help prevent some of these mid 2nd half offensive swoons.

I'd like to see JC get them to attack the D early in the clock before the D is set. Don't worry about using some clock. If the scoring ops don't materialize early, then run their stuff.

Improving their half-court execution in general will go a long way too. They are a work-in-progress which I expect to get better and hit their stride by February.

Reaction Score
We will rack up some losses come conference play unless we do learn to close out games with double digit leads in the 2nd half. Its a process but the BE is too good to keep certain teams in the game in the late stages. Not so good execution and not taking care of the ball were some things I noticed. This is correctable and RB will be a difference maker. They are young, relatively inexperienced and prone to losing leads. They just need to get to know each other (on the court).

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I know, what's with the late game fades?

Reaction Score
I know, what's with the late game fades?
Well, our under 5 minute offense is pretty much dribble or pass around the perimeter then one of our guards takes a long, contested 3.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
too many "hero shots" IMHO

I sometimes think somebody wants to be Kemba

but they'll learn, I have no doubt

Reaction Score
Well, our under 5 minute offense is pretty much dribble or pass around the perimeter then one of our guards takes a long, contested 3.

need more set plays

Reaction Score
Sometimes it's hard to play with a lead. When you're behind, you have the green light to shoot at the first opening and take some risks. When you're ahead, you have to patient, without being too patient. If you pop free for an open three-pointer with 20-25 seconds on the shot clock - it might be too early to shoot, but it may be the best look you get on that possession. There's a fine line - are you going for the dagger or playing into the other team's hands. Our halfcourt offense is also not there yet, especially against zones. You don't want to force the ball into the middle of the zone early in the shot clock and turn it over (or throw it into the corner where there could be a trap), so the tendency is to windshield wiper the ball around the outside and be left with a forced shot. I also think that our defense down the stretch being bad has magnified those problems (if you're trading empty possession for empty possession with the other team, then you win). It has also prevented us sustaining a run after we do make a big shot, and not given us those easy buckets in transition off a steal that give you some breathing room. Frankly, we also need some more experience for the young guys - so we have more options. We can't really pound it in to Andre when protecting a lead, Daniels missed a couple open threes against UCF that maybe he makes later on. Even Tyler wasn't out there for pressure possessions much last year at all, so he needs to go through some growing pains as if he was a freshman. It can't be just Shabazz and Jeremy as our only two options that the defense has to worry about, which has been the case pre-Boatright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom