Team leader | The Boneyard

Team leader

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
For all who don't get/missed WTIC's Coaches Show with Geno, I thought this segment tonight was very interesting, dare I say enlightening .... particularly for the diehard Caroline-is-the-key types.

Talking about Stef, Geno said that there are some upperclassmen (unspecified) with leadership qualities, but Dolson has the most of those qualities on the team, and offered that if you asked the team members, they would also point to Stef. (He did acknowledge there are different ways of leading, BTW, and listed some.)

I don't recall anyone in the BY mentioning her as the team's leader. Many insisting it was Caroline. Don't know how they knew this.

I've always felt there is no way outsiders know who any team's leader is -- the team members alone know that. And others can project who the best leader would/should be all they want or have captains or whatever assigned, but those things mean absolutely nothing as far as who the players themselves look to as the leader.

When team members say "so-and-so is the leader," it will mean something.

Reaction Score
For all who don't get/missed WTIC's Coaches Show with Geno, I thought this segment tonight was very interesting, dare I say enlightening .... particularly for the diehard Caroline-is-the-key types.

Talking about Stef, Geno said that there are some upperclassmen (unspecified) with leadership qualities, but Dolson has the most of those qualities on the team, and offered that if you asked the team members, they would also point to Stef. (He did acknowledge there are different ways of leading, BTW, and listed some.)

I don't recall anyone in the BY mentioning her as the team's leader. Many insisting it was Caroline. Don't know how they knew this.

I've always felt there is no way outsiders know who any team's leader is -- the team members alone know that. And others can project who the best leader would/should be all they want or have captains or whatever assigned, but those things mean absolutely nothing as far as who the players themselves look to as the leader.

When team members say "so-and-so is the leader," it will mean something.

I think you stole the words right out of my mouth. Haha

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I thought those comments were very interesting. Geno said that Stef is very "in-tune" with people, knowing what they need to hear and when they need to hear it. The way he described her sounded a lot like the way he and others used to describe Sue Bird. Sue was one of those who made it her business to know everything about everybody and it sounds like Stefanie is very much like that.

All this is not to say that Caroline doesn't lead with her intensity and emotion on and off the court, but that it sounded like Stef is a very unique person and teammate who has many innate leadership qualities that are rarely exist in one person.

Reaction Score
This is very interesting. It may be that some of us saw the respect and admiration that other players give Caroline and assumed it translated into team leadership. It may be that it is the respect given to someone who is not just a teammate, but who has been through a tremendous amount of grief. As UConnCat said, Caroline may lead on the floor, but may not be THE leader of this group.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
some thought/think Caroline because she was with the coaches last season and very vocal on the sidelines (every injured player on any team yells and pump their fist on the sidelines)... and lets not forget she's from Philly :cool:

Reaction Score
I think since Geno said that Caroline was really the team leader LAST season, we assumed she was this season.

there are different ways to lead. I've heard Geno say Caroline's leadership style is "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING!!" Whereas it seems like, Stef might be the more..uh..supportive/gentle leadership type. Sue vs Diana. :p

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
some thought/think Caroline because she was with the coaches last season and very vocal on the sidelines (every injured player on any team yells and pump their fist on the sidelines)... and lets not forget she's from Philly :cool:
Actually, she did quite a bit more on the sidelines than the average injured player, including talking to players after they were benched, especially Bria. She also charted stuff that a GA would typically chart.

One can also Google "Caroline Doty leader" and come up with columnists speaking directly or indirectly about her leadership attributes.

I think the fact that Stef has emerged in a leadership role is terrific and great for the three-year outlook for the team. Something that should be cause for celebration turning in part into an opportunity to bash posters who have spoken positively of Caroline's leadership is a odd twist.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Something that should be cause for celebration turning in part into an opportunity to bash posters who have spoken positively of Caroline's leadership is a odd twist.

I wouldn't use the word "bash" maybe but I agree on the unexpected direction this took.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
One can also Google "Caroline Doty leader" and come up with columnists speaking directly or indirectly about her leadership attributes.

... Something that should be cause for celebration turning in part into an opportunity to bash posters who have spoken positively of Caroline's leadership is a odd twist.

No problem at all with Caroline's leadership, whatever it amounts to. I'm not slighting it, because I don't know what it is.

My issue is with people who don't know a fact asserting that something is a fact.

That includes journalists. They don't know who the leader is either, UNLESS someone on the team let's them know who the leader is. Even then, it's probable that the team members may not entirely agree on that issue.

If there are BYers who have talked to the kids and would be kind enough or feel it would be OK to pass alone the inside info, that would be great. Because, without that source, no one here really knows the true poop.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think the fact that Stef has emerged in a leadership role is terrific and great for the three-year outlook for the team. Something that should be cause for celebration turning in part into an opportunity to bash posters who have spoken positively of Caroline's leadership is a odd twist.

I agree. Geno's comments were in response to questions from Joe D specifically about Stefanie. Geno spoke very highly of Stef in every respect, with a specific emphasis on her leadership abilities. But I certainly didn't come away thinking that Caroline was less of a leader of this team. The team has another one, and she's one who possesses some unique qualities. It's all good.

I'm sure the interview will be up on the wtic website. Geno also talked about a few other things, like the need for patience with this team, the reasons for extending the defense and a couple of downsides of doing so, scoring options, etc.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
everyone assumed... the OP provided facts. I mentioned why others would assume Caroline was the leader.

just for the record I actually think Caroline is a better basketball leader BUT I think Dolson's approach "off the court" is better. All the events she plans, create etc shows that she knows how to get others involved. She appears to be very social... and can get others to see the other side with ease.

I wonder if she was the one that got all the non-dancers on the team to perform that dance during First Night.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
just for the record I actually think Caroline is a better basketball leader BUT I think Dolson's approach "off the court" is better. All the events she plans, create etc shows that she knows how to get others involved. She appears to be very social... and can get others to see the other side with ease.
Pretty much my impression too.

Reaction Score
Do they put this on the web for replay. I looked and could not find it but I may have looked too soon. Thanks!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Do they put this on the web for replay. I looked and could not find it but I may have looked too soon. Thanks!
yes they usually archive these programs.

sTu

Reaction Score
"there are different ways to lead. I've heard Geno say Caroline's leadership style is "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING!!" Whereas it seems like, Stef might be the more..uh..supportive/gentle leadership type. Sue vs Diana. :p"

The physical education teacher at the school I worked at was in the locker room with Sue's high school team at half time of a close game and the Sue you see does not show near the "power" she can unleash. She has Diana like qualities also to put it mildly.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of players, past and present, may have leadership qualities that we aren't aware of because we aren't on the inside. We aren't in the locker room at halftime. We don't attend practices. So it really is hard to truly gauge how much influence the players have on each other.

I clearly remember Kaili McLaren in Tina's ear before she was introduced in the 2010 NC game (could have been the FF, not too sure). Tina seemed to be listening to her every word. I'll never forget that because even though she didn't get much playing time, Kaili looked like she had the ability to pump up and support her teammates. It's the behind the scenes stuff that we don't see, so it's hard for us to designate who's the "heart and soul" of the team. That's all up to the people on the inside.

Reaction Score
This morning after reading a piece in which Stef was very verbal, I started to type
that she had a special place on the team. I was going to say she was talking as a leader
not fearful of expressing herself and the team;) I obviousely did not get around to posting it:rolleyes:
I think it is great and takes nothing away from CD<4th year JR> itl adds to what makes this program special. LOL,at myself, for not posting this morning. I think she was talking about what she had learned
about tranforming herself physically,from the young woman who could not get up and down the court. I have to find all that she said. Get that ball into the post:p

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This is not the first time that Stef as a leader has been mentioned by Geno. I can't remember if it was one of the Geno shows or one of the other sources of video interviews. He had mentioned it on tape, however, sometime in the last two or three weeks. It was brief. It now sounds as if he has expanded upon that.

There is no reason that teams cannot have multiple leaders in different ways and roles. Court generalship is one role but broader team leadership is another. Stef has a personality well suited to leadership.

Speaking with another 'Yarder on the phone Monday I had noted that I thought Caroline had been less assertive and in control at the point directing traffic than in some of the earlier games. I was wondering if Geno had given another practice this order similar to the forgoing passes into Stef against the lesser competition when it was too automatic and meant nothing or his telling Brianna to stop the full court scoring runs to run the half court offense. It seemed to me over the weekend that Caroline was less over the top of the offense and playing from off the sides much more and was less effective "herself" in doing so. I wondered if Geno was wanting more of Bria, Brianna, and Tiff up at the top to develop their play from that position.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I wonder if she was the one that got all the non-dancers on the team to perform that dance during First Night.

It was said at the time that Stef was the one who had done the choreography so my guess would be yes.

Reaction Score
Icebear said
"Speaking with another 'Yarder on the phone Monday I had noted that I thought Caroline had been less assertive and in control at the point directing traffic than in some of the earlier games. I was wondering if Geno had given another practice this order similar to the forgoing passes into Stef against the lesser competition when it was too automatic and meant nothing or his telling Brianna to stop the full court scoring runs to run the half court offense. It seemed to me over the weekend that Caroline was less over the top of the offense and playing from off the sides much more and was less effective "herself" in doing so. I wondered if Geno was wanting more of Bria, Brianna, and Tiff up at the top to develop their play from that position"

I think CD has been struggling with turnovers. I think playing the three games in a row was a little too much for her physically and mentally. She did some things I don't think she would normally ever would have done. I'm guessing Geno was taking some pressure off her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom