Team Defense | The Boneyard

Team Defense

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
In the separate threads praising Muhl and Williams I see a common theme. Their improvements are at least partly attributable to improvements in team defense. Once upon a time Park-Lane would blow by all our players and they would either look slow (Williams and even Griffin) or lost (Muhl and Mir). That would not happen now. I am as impressed with the switching and communication going on out there as I am with individual abilities. The team is starting to look like a choreographed ensemble.

This leads me to reflect on how often UConn ends up with a NDPOY on the roster. Yes, there is lots of individual talent involved, but what puts them at the top in the nation’s eyes is how their individual efforts are augmented within the framework of the team.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Agree team defense was exceedingly impressive the communication was terrific.

Thought officials were quite good across the tourney. A concern I have going into the NCAA tournament is the potential shift in officiating, appears like Big East tournament they let the teams play, will that carry into NCAA as well ? Can we still continue the aggressive defense without fouling? Especially NM and AE ?

Another note I can’t recall such a hustling team, we had hands on every loose ball, team rebounding was also incredible.

Really fun tournament!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn has had some great defensive teams and some great individual defenders, but I honestly don’t believe the Huskies have had a better defensive team than this one. UConn switches everywhere, the communication is exceptional and they are relentless.

When Gabby & Kia played, you could point to them as defensive stalwarts, but with this team it’s hard to point to any one individual. All five starters play really tough defense, and when UConn goes to the bench to bring in Aaliyah, Aubrey or Mir, it only gets worse for opposing teams.

Reaction Score
Love how our guards use their left hands to tap downcourt a pass, then scamper after it for a lopping layup. The gate of Bueckers with quick first step, acceleration then large steps closing to the hoop have been adopted by the coaches and players. This team is a quick study.
Credit to Marquette for their offensive rebounding. They swarmed the offensive board, use quick hands to slap away rebounds and showed great hustle the entire game. They are well coached and had decent size giving us a strong battle under the hoop.
Hope our coaches encourage Griffin and Edwards to keep the rebounds up high with two hands on the ball for easy wrist passes to our guards. Several times Edwards was stripped when she took the rebound down waist high. Generally Liv has learned this lessen well and quickly releases defensive rebounds to our guards along the side line.

When our defense is this solid, our offense flows easily and provides good leads to prevent slow ball movement.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Make no mistake, the Arkansas loss had a big impact on this team. Since that game, the defensive intensity has grown. The team realized that defense does win championships. The ball hawking, switching is driving teams crazy.

Christyn has become a stopper. She has worked hard on her defense and it shows. Nika has become the ultimate "pest" on defense. Opponents have to pay attention to her defense or she will pick you clean. Paige and others are now reading the opponents offense and anticipating the passes to intercept.

Liv and Aaliyah have become the rocks down low - the rim protectors. How many times are we seeing guards trying to go down the lane only to be faced with a 6' 5" post player ready to stop the play. Liv's and Aaliyah's presence have allowed our guards to get more rebounds, especially Evina.

Reaction Score
UConn has had some great defensive teams and some great individual defenders, but I honestly don’t believe the Huskies have had a better defensive team than this one. UConn switches everywhere, the communication is exceptional and they are relentless.

When Gabby & Kia played, you could point to them as defensive stalwarts, but with this team it’s hard to point to any one individual. All five starters play really tough defense, and when UConn goes to the bench to bring in Aaliyah, Aubrey or Mir, it only gets worse for opposing teams.
You may be right, I can't think of one that was this relentless. The Stewart, Jefferson, Stokes teams would have 6-8 minute blitzkriegs of domination and then when the score went off the rails they would relax a little. These kids are up 20-30 and still want blood. They've found a way to cloak a weakness, their lateral speed, and force teams to come straight at them. And IMO there's one major factor that makes it all go. That's the anchor and goalie in the paint, Ono. They're not the same when she's off the floor.

Reaction Score
You may be right, I can't think of one that was this relentless. The Stewart, Jefferson, Stokes teams would have 6-8 minute blitzkriegs of domination and then when the score went off the rails they would relax a little. These kids are up 20-30 and still want blood. They've found a way to cloak a weakness, their lateral speed, and force teams to come straight at them. And IMO there's one major factor that makes it all go. That's the anchor and goalie in the paint, Ono. They're not the same when she's off the floor.
Yes Liv is the anchor; Nika and Aaliyah are our "attitudes"

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Ditto huskeynut!
Great post! Agree 300%.
Wouldn’t that we cool if we met Arkansas again in The Big Dance!

It would be a cool rematch. I'm not sure Arkansas would want to run into this UConn buzz saw. Arkansas' Dungee would not find it so easy to drive the lane or shoot the 3.

But I don't think Arkansas will get that far.

Reaction Score

It's more than switching, it's team defense as it's meant to be played.
1) pressure on the ball 2) keeping your man in front of you with pressure 3) switching on all screens out front, aggressively, so the new defender is even applying MORE pressure 4) one pass away, defender is in the passing lane, more than one pass away defender is "on the wall" or "helpside". 5) posts are being fronted 6) helpside is sliding over when necessary.
It's like a cycle, if the ball pressure or passing lane pressure knows that there is help behind them, that trust, accentuates their ability to pressure and go for steals. How many block shots we're getting when the open player down low turns to the basket expecting open territory and they're running into one of our post players with their arms up. It's a thing of beauty! How fun will it be to see it against one of our rivals!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
In the separate threads praising Muhl and Williams I see a common theme. Their improvements are at least partly attributable to improvements in team defense. Once upon a time Park-Lane would blow by all our players and they would either look slow (Williams and even Griffin) or lost (Muhl and Mir). That would not happen now. I am as impressed with the switching and communication going on out there as I am with individual abilities. The team is starting to look like a choreographed ensemble.

This leads me to reflect on how often UConn ends up with a NDPOY on the roster. Yes, there is lots of individual talent involved, but what puts them at the top in the nation’s eyes is how their individual efforts are augmented within the framework of the team.

WBCA Defensive Player of the Year​

Winners
2007: Lindsey Harding, Duke
2008: Sylvia Fowles, LSU
2009: Jennifer Risper, Vanderbilt
2010: Monica Wright, Virginia
2011: Brittney Griner, Baylor
2012: Brittney Griner, Baylor
2013: Brittney Griner, Baylor
2014: Stefanie Dolson, UConn
2015: Elizabeth Williams, Duke
2016: Moriah Jefferson, UConn
2017: Gabby Williams, UConn
2018: Kia Nurse, Connecticut

2019: Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State
2020: DiDi Richards, Baylor

Reaction Score
And what is so great is how the leadership of Paige Bueckers has been instrumental to all that has been achieved here. Last night on national television, Paige came right out and said that the Arkansas game was the turning point that morphed this team into a defensive juggernaut. She said it was simply unacceptable for any UConn program to allow an opponent to score 90 points against them, and one of their players to score 37. I love that ownership!

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Several times last night, marquette guards came off a high screen and found themselves at half court... That has to suck a little bit.
The aggressive hedging on ball screens is something of a new twist for UConn this season. When a 5’ something guard tries to dribble off a ball screen only to face the large, intimidating presence of either Liv or Aaliyah, backwards is the only sensible direction.

Reaction Score
Several times last night, marquette guards came off a high screen and found themselves at half court... That has to suck a little bit.
I hear you.
The wings are catching the ball 30 + feet away from the basket. My college coach wanted the wings to get the ball in their shooting range. Against UConn you better have Dame or Steph range.
I teach and coach in the Alaska Bush and these folks are head-over-heels in love with basketball. But unfortunately everyone here plays zone. I just showed a co-worker (coincidently a rival coach at the school across the river) the first quarter last night, explaining UConn's team defense. Him and I agreed to scrimmage next year with man-to-man only.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
The aggressive hedging on ball screens is something of a new twist for UConn this season. When a 5’ something guard tries to dribble off a ball screen only to face the large, intimidating presence of either Liv or Aaliyah, backwards is the only sensible direction.
Requires rare athleticism in a big to execute...

Reaction Score
Aaliyah is especially adept at hedging on ball screens. I'm very impressed in general with her overall technique in setting screens then rolling hard on offense and her hedging on ball screens as well as help defense. I have to believe this is where her experience with the national team and a higher level of coaching has paid dividends

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I hear you.
The wings are catching the ball 30 + feet away from the basket. My college coach wanted the wings to get the ball in their shooting range. Against UConn you better have Dame or Steph range.
I teach and coach in the Alaska Bush and these folks are head-over-heels in love with basketball. But unfortunately everyone here plays zone. I just showed a co-worker (coincidently a rival coach at the school across the river) the first quarter last night, explaining UConn's team defense. Him and I agreed to scrimmage next year with man-to-man only.
I used to coach youth league basketball. You had the option to play zone, but only for half the game. Since it was optional, my team never played zone. Young kids end up standing around in a zone. But when you tell them to guard their man wherever he goes, they develop better skills and are much more engaged in the game.

Reaction Score
Would love to see paige isolated with aaliyah boston out there...
We're all too polite to say what Paige is doing to these "top notch" defenders. Oh my gosh, she's got so much game!! The subtlety of these moves is mind-boggling. Where did she learn all this stuff? On a snowy driveway in Minnesota? When she attacked the block and pulled up for that short jumper, Lott must have thought, "I'm 3 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier and she just "emasculated" (what's the word in the feminine) me, what the heck am I supposed to do?" It's crazy!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom