OT: - Teachers of Boneyard...Back to School Time | Page 15 | The Boneyard

OT: Teachers of Boneyard...Back to School Time

Reaction Score
6th year is actually a “degree”, between masters and PhD. Top step is at 13 years.

Or EdD, because education just has to be like that and make more of a laughingstock of ourselves. Calling EdDs "doctor" at work gives me the skeeves. I actively avoid it.

It's like calling a chirpractor, physical therapist, nurse practitioner or lawyer a "doctor." Just knock it off ya friggen weirdos.

Reaction Score
Checking in here as the resident private school teacher.

Independent schools don't really follow standard procedure and our school doesn't even have pay scale that is readily available. That being said, here's what my % increases have looked like since I've been keeping track.

Screen Shot 2024-01-16 at 2.27.36 PM.png

Riding out the 2020-21 covid year, especially with no coaching and a sharp decrease in tutoring, was tough, but in my 14th year, I'm at a point where my pay (before coaching) is just a few thousand below median Fairfield county salaries.

In 2021, I was seriously considering leaving my school for much higher paying public school job, but so far, I'm happy with my decision.

That being said, my contract should come out in about six-to-eight weeks and I'm expecting a 5% increase, give or take. Everything is negotiable, so we'll see.

Retirement wise, I have no idea if I'm actually prepared, but about 12% each year is put away in a TIAA-Cref and I'll be about 54 when our mortgage is paid off.

Reaction Score
Teachers unions are negotiating pretty aggressively right now (not generally in line with inflation, but better than before). I'm 6th-year top step and IIRC our last contract is 3.5% a year increase for 3 years. Purchasing power is definitely decreasing. One of many reasons why people are leaving teaching.

109,000 for 6th year top step is pretty good. Average is around 95-100k outside of FFC.
Husky429, thanks for the info on your last contract. Was the 3.5% increase allotted for the total education budget, or did your 6th-year top step wages increase 3.5% per year? I know there are different ways that this is done.

Reaction Score
Checking in here as the resident private school teacher.

Independent schools don't really follow standard procedure and our school doesn't even have pay scale that is readily available. That being said, here's what my % increases have looked like since I've been keeping track.

View attachment 95258

Riding out the 2020-21 covid year, especially with no coaching and a sharp decrease in tutoring, was tough, but in my 14th year, I'm at a point where my pay (before coaching) is just a few thousand below median Fairfield county salaries.

In 2021, I was seriously considering leaving my school for much higher paying public school job, but so far, I'm happy with my decision.

That being said, my contract should come out in about six-to-eight weeks and I'm expecting a 5% increase, give or take. Everything is negotiable, so we'll see.

Retirement wise, I have no idea if I'm actually prepared, but about 12% each year is put away in a TIAA-Cref and I'll be about 54 when our mortgage is paid off.
Your raises are much nicer than my private industry ones were. I had no idea teachers were getting those numbers. Good for you!

Reaction Score
Husky429, thanks for the info on your last contract. Was the 3.5% increase allotted for the total education budget, or did your 6th-year top step wages increase 3.5% per year? I know there are different ways that this is done.

I wasn't on the negotiation commitee this time, so I can't remember.

Reaction Score
Your raises are much nicer than my private industry ones were. I had no idea teachers were getting those numbers. Good for you!

Actual $ amounts may be similar though. Private school salaries suck.

You also don't have to duck punches from the starting middle linebacker in the hallway, so I guess both have their positives lol

Reaction Score
Actual $ amounts may be similar though. Private school salaries suck.

You also don't have to duck punches from the starting middle linebacker in the hallway, so I guess both have their positives lol
I'm not complaining, but let me add that my salary is about 20k lower than if I taught in the public school district where my school is located. That being said, my salary is around the county median for my experience, so I can't complain.

Also, from what I know about my family and friends who work in public school, especially in middle school: it's a lot less mind-numbing work and more "meaningful" work. In total, I teach about 40 students between my three classes, but obviously the work and attention needed for each kid is much higher than if I had 100 students. The connection between the students is a lot stronger too, which is a plus.

Reaction Score
Teachers are important and I keep reading about teachers shortages. I am not a teacher but I have frieands that are teachers and retired teachers. I can still remember teachers that had a positive influence on my life so many years ago.

Teachers area penalized by WEP, whereby teachers' SS benefits earned in jobs totally outside of teaching, are reduced, unlike just about for anybody else. Not an incentive to go into teaching.

Below is from an NEA (albeit, a pro teacher source) but I believe is factually accurate (it is my understanding, the mentioned law has bi-partisan support):

"The Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) reduces the Social Security benefits of people whose work history includes both jobs covered and not covered by Social Security. That would include educators in states where public employees don’t pay into Social Security who take on part-time or summer jobs to make ends meet.

WEP has done financial harm to generations of retirees. Fortunately, there are members of Congress who understand that educators should keep the retirement security they earned in jobs they held outside of education. House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard Neal (D-MA) introduced the Public Servants Protection and Fairness Act to lessen the impacts of WEP and protect educators. If that bill becomes law, current retirees would receive an extra $150 a month and future retirees would gain an extra $75 a month, on average"
WEP ... my teachers union blasted that in an email, asking us to call up and complain that it is stealing earned retirement funds from retirees. I've researched it a bit as I'm that guy who is getting punished by WEP ... I had a private career for about 13 years before teaching and my SS payments will get reduced.

So I researched WEP, and in concept, it appears to be fair (I haven't been able to study the actual formula to determine if it is perfectly fair in practice). How a career like mine actually games the system without WEP ...

SS pays you for your highest 35 earning years. Essentially paying low earners a high percent of their pay back in SS benefits, and a much lower percent for folks earning more $$ ... it is a safety net for low earners I think. The formula give 90% of your first low income band of earning, 32% for the second, and 15% for the highest income band. If you only worked 10 years paying into SS, they divide your earned amount by 35 years and it appears that you were a low income earner, and you receive MUCH higher benefits per $$ earned. WEP tries to correct that.

That's the best that I can do to explain, but in my opinion, paying teachers full SS benefits (without WEP reductions) is overpaying, and therefore taking from the remaining retirees. I hope they repeal WEP so I can get more and live large ... but it might not be fair!

Reaction Score
Or EdD, because education just has to be like that and make more of a laughingstock of ourselves. Calling EdDs "doctor" at work gives me the skeeves. I actively avoid it.

It's like calling a chirpractor, physical therapist, nurse practitioner or lawyer a "doctor." Just knock it off ya friggen weirdos.
NPs are not doctors, they have a different degree. But the pot shot at DPT and DC's are emblematic of bigger issues. Don't disrespect other professions that go through significant schooling and debt to get their degree, just to serve the community. DPTs and DCs are considered physicians in many states and undergo a lot of schooling to do what they do, often for less pay then what teachers make. We should build up these professions, not knock them down. (Disclaimer; I am NOT a DPT or DC, but am in the medical field and hate when these professions get demeaned).

Reaction Score
NPs are not doctors, they have a different degree. But the pot shot at DPT and DC's are emblematic of bigger issues. Don't disrespect other professions that go through significant schooling and debt to get their degree, just to serve the community. DPTs and DCs are considered physicians in many states and undergo a lot of schooling to do what they do, often for less pay then what teachers make. We should build up these professions, not knock them down. (Disclaimer; I am NOT a DPT or DC, but am in the medical field and hate when these professions get demeaned).

Nurse practitioners have a doctorate. It's a Doctor of Nursing Practice. RJ Cole's mom used to call herself a doctor with a DNP. It was weird.

Point me to a state that considers physical therapists or chiropractors physicians. Because I just searched it and found absolutely nothing other than resources specifically saying they are NOT physicians. Gonna be honest brother... that sounds like total malarkey and I'm just about positive you are wrong. I'll gladly eat a handful of crow if you can show me. No medical school, no residency, no license. I ain't buying that.

My physical therapist goes by "Mike" and I respect the bejesus out of him. Smart guy that got me walking again a couple months ago after an injury. He is highly trained and an expert at what he does. Doesn't mean he's a doctor.

IMO anyone but a DO or an MD in a medical position should be banned from going by doctor in a clinical setting. It's misleading to patients. It would be like if my wife (phd in philosophy) asked to be called doctor if she went to the walk-in clinic. They'd think she's friggen nuts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not complaining, but let me add that my salary is about 20k lower than if I taught in the public school district where my school is located. That being said, my salary is around the county median for my experience, so I can't complain.

Also, from what I know about my family and friends who work in public school, especially in middle school: it's a lot less mind-numbing work and more "meaningful" work. In total, I teach about 40 students between my three classes, but obviously the work and attention needed for each kid is much higher than if I had 100 students. The connection between the students is a lot stronger too, which is a plus.

I would s--- myself if they gave me 3 classes and 40 students... what a dream.

My job now is basically writing curriculum, adminstering assessments, cleaning up instructional and classroom management messes that teachers and APs can't fix. It's nice to not teach the same thing for 5 periods, but I do miss getting to hang out with kids all day

Reaction Score
Nurse practitioners have a doctorate. It's a Doctor of Nursing Practice. RJ Cole's mom used to call herself a doctor with a DNP. It was weird.

Point me to a state that considers physical therapists or chiropractors physicians. Because I just searched it and found absolutely nothing other than resources specifically saying they are NOT physicians. Gonna be honest brother... that sounds like total malarkey and I'm just about positive you are wrong. I'll gladly eat a handful of crow if you can show me. No medical school, no residency, no license. I ain't buying that.

My physical therapist goes by "Mike" and I respect the bejesus out of him. Smart guy that got me walking again a couple months ago after an injury. He is highly trained and an expert at what he does. Doesn't mean he's a doctor.

IMO anyone but a DO or an MD in a medical position should be banned from going by doctor in a clinical setting. It's misleading to patients. It would be like if my wife (phd in philosophy) asked to be called doctor if she went to the walk-in clinic. They'd think she's friggen nuts.
Totally (respectfully) disagree. Dentist isn't a doctor? Optometrist isn't a doctor? Both don't have DO or MD but go to 4 years of graduate schooling where they do 3 years of training that involves all body of medicine and then a year of rotation and likely a year of residency. Similar with pharmacists. DO and MD being the only doctor is an antiquated way to look at things. Fair on the physician portion; I was wrong on that and thought it was the other way around

Reaction Score
Totally (respectfully) disagree. Dentist isn't a doctor? Optometrist isn't a doctor? Both don't have DO or MD but go to 4 years of graduate schooling where they do 3 years of training that involves all body of medicine and then a year of rotation and likely a year of residency. Similar with pharmacists. DO and MD being the only doctor is an antiquated way to look at things. Fair on the physician portion; I was wrong on that and thought it was the other way around

I'll allow it for the dentists and optometrists, lol. Pharmacists don't get the same type of training so I won't count them.

You may have been mistaking them for DNPs. DNPs in some states (like CT) are allowed to pracitce independently now. My DO friend says it's to try to support rural medical care because no MD/DOs want to go work in the sticks. This is all coming from my cousin last Thanksgiving and she's a drunk. So don't quote me

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom