Te’a Cooper to Baylor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Te’a Cooper to Baylor

Reaction Score
I expect Baylor to be great next year, with or without Cooper running the point. In all honesty, Baylor doesn't truly need her to make a run for a title next season. Hope it works out for all parties, Chloe Jackson definitely changed Mulkey's tune when it comes to grad transfers.

Cooper is a good player but iMO won't have near the same impact that Jackson had. That isn't to say she won't contribute or do good things.

Reaction Score
Good luck to T'ea .. she seems to be a social powder keg, but I always root for the players....

Many are so young and can't handle the spotlight.... or have not reached maturity level

Reaction Score
Jackson was a star before coming to Baylor. Cooper isnt.
True but I’m just saying that if Jackson stayed at LSU she probably would not have been drafted. Kim is good at developing PGs. Most of the PGs that played under mulkey has been drafted: Sheila lambert, Angela tisdale, odyssey sims, Niya Johnson, Alexis Jones, kristy Wallace, and Chloe Jackson

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
True but I’m just saying that if Jackson stayed at LSU she probably would not have been drafted. Kim is good at developing PGs. Most of the PGs that played under mulkey has been drafted: Sheila lambert, Angela tisdale, odyssey sims, Niya Johnson, Alexis Jones, kristy Wallace, and Chloe Jackson

Chloe Jackson would've been drafted. She probably doesn't go #15 though, so I'll give you that. Not sure the other players are great examples for creating good WNBA players. Out of that list you have:

Lambert-played 4 seasons. Graduated over 17 years ago.
Tisdale-drafted but never played
Sims-wasn't a PG her last 2 years, hasn't played PG in the pros
Johnson-never played in WNBA
Jones-never played PG at Baylor
Wallace-hasn't played in pros (yet)

I get where Te'a Cooper is coming from by choosing Baylor, I just don't think it makes much sense for Kim and Baylor. They have good guards in Ursin/Landrum, plus Scott-Grayson who was expected to get more minutes this upcoming season. Cooper comes in and is apparently going to be playing PG at Baylor even though she's had a negative A/TO ratio in both of her 2 years of collegiate basketball and doesn't have great decision making skills. Ursin and Landrum both have better than 2:1 ratios and prioritized their bigs. Maybe she comes off the bench or proves me wrong, but nothing about Te'a Cooper's game or personality seems like a good fit for Baylor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
True but I’m just saying that if Jackson stayed at LSU she probably would not have been drafted.

Chloe definitely would have been drafted even if she stayed at LSU. Maybe not as high but she would have been drafted. Kim did improve her ball handling at Baylor but Chloe was well known for her shooting and play making already.

Issue with Cooper is her decision making isn't the best, and for a PG that is pretty crucial. Chloe at least was extremely workable and was always a pretty good decision maker. I still stand by Baylor could be as successful with one of their current guards on the team running the point.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I get where Te'a Cooper is coming from by choosing Baylor, I just don't think it makes much sense for Kim and Baylor. They have good guards in Ursin/Landrum, plus Scott-Grayson who was expected to get more minutes this upcoming season. Cooper comes in and is apparently going to be playing PG at Baylor even though she's had a negative A/TO ratio in both of her 2 years of collegiate basketball and doesn't have great decision making skills. Ursin and Landrum both have better than 2:1 ratios and prioritized their bigs. Maybe she comes off the bench or proves me wrong, but nothing about Te'a Cooper's game or personality seems like a good fit for Baylor.

What's gonna happen when there's relationship drama between Cooper and Howard? Cuz you gotta know that's coming.

Reaction Score
I mean but Kim Mulkey is a great coach for people who wants to be a better PG! Chloe Jackson would not have been drafted if she didn’t go to Baylor! I’m confident mulkey can do the same for cooper!

But if Jackson didn’t win a championship would she have been drafted?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I wanna see a Little Carolina-Baylor matchup in the tournament.

Without Kalani this is a far closer match.. I’d still give Baylor the advantage. Older team, more height... We played Baylor twice last year and got thumped both times. We could potentially play them early in the season. The handshake line would be interesting, but only between Cooper and maybe KiKi... but Herbert-Harrigan doesn’t strike me as the type that would instigate a fight. She’d definitely finish it, but she wouldn’t start it.

I’m not in a rush to face off against the Bears again.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
But if Jackson didn’t win a championship would she have been drafted?

Yes but not 15th. She was a very steady presence in the backcourt all year and prioritized getting the ball to the right players. Draft stock soared after the title game, as it should have, but she was getting drafted regardless.

Reaction Score
So, Baylor has now at least partly addressed it's point guard question, with Cooper having 2 years of eligibility left. Does this or will this effect the recruitment and thought processes of Hailey Van Lith? I was not convinced Hailey Van Lith was a definitive Baylor lean even before Cooper's announcement. However, Cooper and Hailey Van Lith would only overlap one season at Baylor: 2020-2021. Her school choices remain pretty tightly guarded, but I wouldn't rule out Oregon State as a close second....with Oregon and UCONN third and fourth respectively....just my speculation..

Reaction Score
So, Baylor has now at least partly addressed it's point guard question, with Cooper having 2 years of eligibility left. Does this or will this effect the recruitment and thought processes of Hailey Van Lith? I was not convinced Hailey Van Lith was a definitive Baylor lean even before Cooper's announcement. However, Cooper and Hailey Van Lith would only overlap one season at Baylor: 2020-2021. Her school choices remain pretty tightly guarded, but I wouldn't rule out Oregon State as a close second....with Oregon and UCONN third and fourth respectively....just my speculation..
Cooper is a one year deal. Not two.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Te’a Cooper to Baylor

The magical mystery tour continues :p

(Didn’t see this in any other threads after a quick perusal — apologies if I missed it somewhere.)

Given her “nomadic” history, I wonder how many serious options she had. None the less, I wish her all the luck in the world. I hope she has a wonderful and productive season. She'll learn a lot from Kim.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She is 22 years old now, Born on April 16, 1997.

From Tenn to South Carolina to Baylor. How many years she can play in Baylor?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She is 22 years old now, Born on April 16, 1997.

From Tenn to South Carolina to Baylor. How many years she can play in Baylor?

My understanding is she played 1 year at each stop, setting out two years. One at Tenn for medical reasons, another for the transfer to SC. If you remember, Dawn submitted a waiver for her, which was denied. I believe she’s eligible to apply to for another year to recover that medical redshirt year at Tennessee. That would be her 4th year I believe. Whether it’s granted is another question. I doubt very seriously she applies for that 4th year.

She’s seeing the success her buddy Diamond DeShields (Chicago Sky) is having in the W, and no doubt would like a piece of THAT action.

T'ea Cooper's College time line:
  • 2015-16 SEC Freshman year. 2016 SEC All-Freshman Team (coaches).
  • 2016-17, did not play due to injury; redshirted at Tennessee.
  • 2017-18, did not play due to NCAA transfer rules; redshirted at South Carolina.
  • 2018-2019, South Carolina - All-Southeastern Conference second team (coaches).
  • 2019-2020, Transferring to Baylor she will be a graduate transfer. She's only played 2 years. 2015 & 2018.
Baylor will have a graduate transfer from the SEC for the second year in a row with the addition of Te'a Cooper from South Carolina.

Lady Bears coach Kim Mulkey plans for Cooper to switch to point guard for the Lady Bears, like Chloe Jackson did last season after leaving LSU. Jackson, the first grad transfer to play at Baylor, was the most outstanding player at the women's NCAA Final Four.

Cooper led the Gamecocks with 11.9 points a game last season after sitting out the 2017-18 season following her transfer from Tennessee. She averaged 8.6 points a game as a freshman for the Lady Vols in 2015-16 before missing the following season with a left knee injury.

"As most who follow the Lady Bears know, Chloe Jackson changed my mind about graduate transfers after such a great experience last year," Mulkey said. "We're excited to bring another extremely talented guard in this season in Te'a Cooper. She's brings a lot of experience to our team, she's a battle-tested guard and we are looking forward to ways she can help the program."

In a case similar to Cooper's: Indiana's Patberg gets sixth year of eligibility - 2/5/2019

Indiana Hoosier guard Ali Patberg has been granted a 6th year of eligibility by the NCAA.
The school announced Friday that Patberg will have two years of eligibility remaining.

She missed her freshman season with an injury.
Played in 22 games as a sophomore for the Irish. - 1st year of play
Transferred from Notre Dame in 2017 AFTER her sophomore year
Sat out the next year due to NCAA transfer rules.
Played last year (2018-2019) for the Hoosiers. - 2nd year of play
Waiver granted to play 2019-2020 & 2020-2021, which will be her 3rd & 4th year of play.

[LINK]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cooper chose wisely. At Baylor if you punch a player you only get suspended one game. At Tennessee you're booted from campus.
In case anyone wants to relive Griner’s “Barncastle moment”...

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Cooper chose wisely. At Baylor if you punch a player you only get suspended one game. At Tennessee you're booted from campus.
Where you there? Did you see the whole game or are you the typical hater that makes comments without knowing the REAL story?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom