TCU has Texas' venerable AD to thank for being in Big 12 | The Boneyard

TCU has Texas' venerable AD to thank for being in Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The story begins 2 ½ years ago during the latest round of conference realignment. Pittsburgh and Syracuse had just announced they were leaving the Big East for the ACC. The Big East, at that point, was hanging by a thread. It was a Big East that TCU was also scheduled to join.
But a Big East without powerhouses Syracuse and Pittsburgh was not worth joining. As we found out, the league not only split into basketball and football factions but the FBS remainders of the Big East – the American Athletic Conference – lost its BCS conference designation. Next season the AAC is not contracted to a major bowl in the College Football Playoff era.
“Syracuse and Pitt announced they were leaving and shocked everybody ...", Del Conte said. “Mack Brown and DeLoss Dodds came out and said, ‘We're going to stay [in the Big 12].'
“Once I heard that I said, ‘OK, boy, let's go.' We had two weeks to make this work.”
Del Conte admitted, “the pressure of the entire institution was on my shoulders” to join the Big 12. He worked the phones, calling every Big 12 contact he knew. Support within the Big 12 was growing, including at Oklahoma where good friend Joe Castiglione had been encouraging. But Del Conte knew if he didn't have Texas, he didn't have a chance.
“I've got one shot,” he recounted, “to go see DeLoss.”
It was a quite a visit. Del Conte grabbed a car, a driver and a bunch of reference material, binders, extolling the advantages of TCU and Fort Worth.
“I get up at 8 o'clock in the morning and drive to Darrell K. Royal Stadium. I get to [Dodds'] office. Nine comes around, 10 comes around. I've got a GA [graduate assistant] outside waiting for me, by the way. I tell him, ‘Just wait 10 minutes I'll be back.' Pretty soon it's 3:30.
“[DeLoss] comes out and says, ‘Who are you?' Chris Del Conte, Texas Christian U. He doesn't hear ‘Chris.' he hears ‘Del'. ‘Del, let's go get ourselves a drink and discuss it.'
“We went to a restaurant and had a little libation at 3:30. By the time 8:30 rolls around, we were [into it] pretty good but we got ourselves in a situation. I kept trying to give him my [binders]. He said, ‘I've heard enough, Del' and just walked away.”
The Big 12 ADs had a conference call the next day.
“The next morning I got up. Joe [Castiglione] goes, ‘I don't know what you did but it worked.' We got the vote. The Frogs are in,' Del Conte said.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...xas-venerable-ad-to-thank-for-being-in-big-12

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
"“[DeLoss] comes out and says, ‘Who are you?' Chris Del Conte, Texas Christian U. He doesn't hear ‘Chris.' he hears ‘Del'. ‘Del, let's go get ourselves a drink and discuss it.'"

That's fantastic.

Reaction Score
TCU football in the AAC would have been fun, but right now we are better off with SMU's basketball team. SMU football is decent enough.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I'm not sure this is quite as romantic as they're making it sound. TCU was coming off several high-level seasons and showed growing fan support. The B12 had an urgent need for 2 schools. TCU was already part of their footprint and was immediately available. I guess those two schools could have been WVU and UL instead, but at the time TCU really fit the B12's model. Interesting that they're also 7-14 over their last 21 games.

Edit - I wanted to add that in the period 2005-2011, they had a total of 13 losses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didnt realize that Cuse carried any juice down there esp in the local religion CFB when they had been BE bottomfeeders for about a decade ? Pitt? not since Hugh Green and Ricky Jackson's day's in the 80s!?! Sounds like another "Texas sized" tale.

Reaction Score
How media/ESPN working against AAC. During half time of girls rout of SMU had Andy Katz giving his regular season championship predictions for boys BB conferences. He did 6; included Big East and not AAC. Someone had to approve/agree with BE in and AAC out, wasn't just Katz's call.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
How media/ESPN working against AAC. During half time of girls rout of SMU had Andy Katz giving his regular season championship predictions for boys BB conferences. He did 6; included Big East and not AAC. Someone had to approve/agree with BE in and AAC out, wasn't just Katz's call.

And I just saw this walking through my backyard:

upload_2014-2-5_21-33-15.jpeg

Katz is a blowhard.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
ESPN isn't going to work against the AAC, they're just not going to promote it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Maybe they used every computer ranking on the planet? Would you make an argument for CUSA the last decade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom