TCU Forfeits Two Games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

TCU Forfeits Two Games

Reaction Score
I would argue that it is not too late. There are programs that are not having these problems right now. What you are suggesting will take years, maybe even decades to accomplish. Most of the answers that college programs need are right nextdoor with their men's programs and their performance teams. I would argue that a standard of body competency, readiness, and maintenance has to be set at the college level BEFORE youth leagues can and will make changes to their programs. They need a standard to follow that aims to yield success at the next level. Youth programs need to feel confident in the changes that are being asked of them and they will only feel confident if they know that what they are doing mirrors what the next level demands.

There has to be a way where this can be done in parallel. It could take years for it to be established at the NCAA based on the rate of speed they deal with things as it is. By the time these athletes get to college, they'd have to relearn a lot of things which would take time to complete. This further hampers the ability to prevent injuries from my point of view.

USA Basketball could be the conduit to help provide this education. Considering the wealth of data they with respect to high performance and injury prevention, they would be an excellent resource where coaches and trainers could be educated. They should already know what should be considered as appropriate standards considering a lot of these top athletes train under them for various events. Looking their coaches section, they've already got a set up that could be leveraged to help with this.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There has to be a way where this can be done in parallel. It could take years for it to be established at the NCAA based on the rate of speed they deal with things as it is. By the time these athletes get to college, they'd have to relearn a lot of things which would take time to complete. This further hampers the ability to prevent injuries from my point of view.

USA Basketball could be the conduit to help provide this education. Considering the wealth of data they with respect to high performance and injury prevention, they would be an excellent resource where coaches and trainers could be educated. They should already know what should be considered as appropriate standards considering a lot of these top athletes train under them for various events. Looking their coaches section, they've already got a set up that could be leveraged to help with this.
Back in the Dark Ages when I played ball, freshmen were ineligible to play at the varsity level. You played other freshmen teams who were all just out of HS like you. There were fewer games, less travel and fewer practices. Your freshman year was largely to get used to college, settle in academically and to get a lot stronger and fitter in preparation for competing at the varsity level as a sophomore.

Freshman programs have gone the way of the dodo bird, permitting colleges and universities to cut costs by eliminating the coaching, administrative and facility costs of running a freshman & varsity program, and also dramatically eliminating the # of scholarship athletes necessary to fill out both a freshman and varsity roster.

I know there’s no going back. But when I was a freshman in college many years ago, I would have been totally unprepared for the physical and emotional demands of playing varsity sports.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I guess where I start to get confused is the "6 scholarship player clause" and now TCU is open to holding tryouts. I mean, did they have 7, 8 or 9 players available but only the 6 scholarship and how does an open tryout which adds "non-scholarship players to the mix allow TCU to meet this 6 scholarship minimum?

So the problem is simply roster management. NCAA allows for 15 scholarship players so that should allow for injuries, however many schools, including UConn in the past simply did not dole out that many. Again, the key here is "scholarship players" so while someone said TCU had 14, do we know how many were "scholarship"? The wording is sort of confusing as I think the initial intent is for schools to field a fully functioning team with financial commitments vs. just walk-ons so, to me, an extraordinary amout of injuries to scholarship players should afford a school to show they did have many scholarships but they need additional players to support the team through the current injury situation.

Reaction Score
Poking around one injury is a broken finger, one player is out for season for ankle surgery (she played on the 13th), and one is an ACL. Looks like 10 players got minutes their last game, but one just played 3 minutes.

Reaction Score
I guess where I start to get confused is the "6 scholarship player clause" and now TCU is open to holding tryouts. I mean, did they have 7, 8 or 9 players available but only the 6 scholarship and how does an open tryout which adds "non-scholarship players to the mix allow TCU to meet this 6 scholarship minimum?

So the problem is simply roster management. NCAA allows for 15 scholarship players so that should allow for injuries, however many schools, including UConn in the past simply did not dole out that many. Again, the key here is "scholarship players" so while someone said TCU had 14, do we know how many were "scholarship"? The wording is sort of confusing as I think the initial intent is for schools to field a fully functioning team with financial commitments vs. just walk-ons so, to me, an extraordinary amout of injuries to scholarship players should afford a school to show they did have many scholarships but they need additional players to support the team through the current injury situation.
This article TCU women's basketball team forced to forfeit 2 games - Yahoo Sports says that there would have only been six players available at all.

Reaction Score

I never mentioned the NCAA because yes institutional change takes years. Programs need to take this on to get the ball rolling. Yes in an ideal world every level would start to make adjustments, but that just isn't how things work in reality. I do agree that USA basketball has the ability to pool the resources to start the process. I would hope WBCA would/could be put together a performance team panel at the Final Four. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming years as conference realignment takes hold. Access to a top notch performance team may only be attainable at the super conference schools that have a lot of money unless the NCAA puts a few standards in place. Sigh. I hope someone can step in sooner than later. All of these injuries are too much.

Reaction Score

Here's an article that provides a better breakdown on the numbers.

Per this part of the article, here's what's happened:

"Not a one among TCU’s roster of 14 players were redshirting this season. They were all active, according to a spokesman for the team.

Four were injured either ahead of the team’s season opener against Oral Roberts or in the nonconference part of the season. In addition to Prince and Owens out, two others sustained injuries in practice this week."

Reaction Score
I know this barely makes sense but the Cavinder sister who is signed up to play next season for them should be able to just hop in and play this season without it counting against her eligibility due to the extenuating circumstances. For that matter, if the other sister could get accepted into the program she should be able to join too.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
And to point out the obvious (without reading the article) walk-ons can be given scholarships at some point. Since Arizona had available scholarships, they offered one to the walk-on they recruited from the track team due to injuries. Unfortunately, she was injured in practice - although she is going to come back to the basketball team next year, working around the track season.

If a walk-on is worth it, and you are not carrying 15 players, you certainly can offer the scholarship. Next season if not before. I remember Rutgers doing this, I believe with a manager that walked on when needed due to injury.

Reaction Score
Central Michigan the latest casualty of having to forfeit due to lack of players.

Rough start for the new coach of the team. Having this happen during your first season, let alone in general, sucks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom