TBT: Thirteen years ago today | The Boneyard

TBT: Thirteen years ago today

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun called the quickest timeout after the start of a game in his career, against Florida International.

He called for the TO just nine seconds into the game, after the team gave up a dunk off of the tip. Calhoun said a few choice words in the huddle (I assume about focus) as only he could, and the Huskies would proceed to thoroughly dominate FIU 99-48.

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun called the quickest timeout after the start of a game in his career, against Florida International.

He called for the TO just nine seconds into the game, after the team gave up a dunk off of the tip. Calhoun said a few choice words in the huddle (I assume about focus) as only he could, and the Huskies would proceed to thoroughly dominate FIU 99-48.

Damn I miss those quick timeouts.

Reaction Score

Sounds just like Ollie. Our team comes out, goes down 15, Ollie calls a time out, we come back out and whoever we're playing goes on a 7-0 run.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Blame the bland TBT subject line perhaps.
This post, and the clip, deserves to be seen.

Reaction Score
I seem to remember a time where Jimmy would get angry and call TO's and the TV folks were afraid to put him on air LOL. That timeout should have been all him, but they were terrified to show him.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My favorite was the TO called and he's just glare at them.

Reaction Score
29 points in the first 10 minutes. I mean, I know it is only FIU, but wow. Takes me back. Some of those post moves from Boone and shots from Brown were a thing of beauty. Miss those days.

It is hard to find anyone who has called a quicker time out at the college or nba level. I saw an instance where GP of the spurs called one in the first 42 seconds (video) and one where Kerr called one in the first 18 seconds. I can not find any other examples in the nba or any other example in college.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So many people hated it at the time. "How's the kid gonna learn?" "Let him play through his mistakes." "Ruining his confidence." etc etc

I hated them then. I would hate them now. But the man is a coaching immortal.

Reaction Score
Sad, you look at the talent on that team...So far from that now..
Ugh I know. Freakin ed Nelson and austrie(price)were the 8&9 off the bench. They would compete in any and every era for the title.

Reaction Score
The roster feared/respected him. Hell, as a fan I feared him when the team played lackluster or bonehead plays. Those days are gone, you are not going to build an empire on concensus and congeniality.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom