2023 Recruiting: - Taylor bol bowen | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Taylor bol bowen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Been quiet with him lately. Would love to pick up some momentum with him.

Brewster is generally just a pretty quiet program during the school year I've noticed. Possible we've been on the kid consistently for the last 6 months and there just wasn't much word getting out.

Reaction Score
He’ll probably end up going to play for Coach K…er, bargain basement Coach K impersonator

Reaction Score
He’ll probably end up going to play for Coach K…er, bargain basement Coach K impersonator

The local thing could be in our favor. Yeah, Duke is hard to turn down. But he seems super close to his family and they live in New England. We shall see.

Regardless of the outcome, it's great to see us going toe to toe with the big boys for high level players in 2023.

Reaction Score
I would imagine it's one of Griffiths/Edwards. But who knows.
I’d thought Griffiths was more of a 2/3 and Edwards was more of a straight 3 (and Bowen a 3/4 for that matter), so that it would be possible for them (Griffiths/Edwards) to coexist. Guess not then.

Reaction Score
I’d thought Griffiths was more of a 2/3 and Edwards was more of a straight 3 (and Bowen a 3/4 for that matter), so that it would be possible for them (Griffiths/Edwards) to coexist. Guess not then.

You are correct. It's likely 2 of the 3 if we get super lucky. In our system, 2-4 is all very wishy washy on offense.

Tbh there's probably more overlap with Edwards/Bowen than Giffiths and Edwards now that I think about it. When I saw Edwards full games I was shocked by how much he looked like a stretch-4.

Reaction Score
I'm fortunate for work I get to go Nike EYBL (was at Peach Jam last year and saw CFJ and Karaban). Checked out Taylor's game today -- he is teammates with Gavin Griffiths but Gavin was not with the team (apparent injury -- he was listed on the roster).

Anyways, here are my notes on Bowen:
  • Played the 4/5 for majority of the game -- I'd say his best position would be a stretch 4 and he is definitely more comfortable on the perimeter rather than inside
  • When you see him in person you see how he's long and immediately think he's super athletic -- I'd actually say he's more skilled than athletic which surprised me. Not saying he isn't athletic by any means, but I'd say his athleticism is more on an Akok level (today, post injuries). Not a bad thing by any means, and I actually think it's a good thing in regards to how skilled he is
  • He has great handling for his size -- had a nice crossover setting up a mid-range jumper that swished. This is what surprised me the most. By no means can he be a primary ballhandler or bring the ball up the court, but the skill is there. They even set up some pick and rolls with him as the ballhandler which is awesome to run with your 4/5.
  • Didn't see much in terms of passing. Most of the time when he ended up with the ball, it resulted in a shot/FTs.
  • Great stroke for his size as well -- didn't really take many outside shots but got to the line a ton -- and made all but 1 FT. I think he can definitely be a decent 3P shooter (35%+) as a stretch 4. I think the fact he got to the line so often is a huge plus -- refs even missed a few shots or he would have went there more
  • More aggressive on offense than defense (hence getting to the line often). However, when he did put that engine into play on defense, he made a couple nice help blocks at the rim. Definitely would play well into our defensive system with how our shot blockers operate no doubt. Solid motor for sure overall but would like to see a little more.
  • He's pretty passive emotions wise -- think JLamb demeanor. Doesn't show emotions either way (positive or negative) like Lamb did and is also not vocal at all -- very quiet on the court. If you're the best player on your team I'd like to see you talking and leading your teammates more, but leadership isn't for everyone I suppose
  • Didn't see a lot in terms of rebounding which was disappointing -- I think it has to do with his engine to a degree, but definitely something he needs to work on.
Overall, I think he's worth the hype. Would say best case for him is a 2-year player. The skill is there but needs to work on his body, athleticism and engine. I'd say he's basically what we though Akok would be pre injury with a much, much better handle. I definitely think he's attainable for us too -- I don't know if he can step in right away an be the type of player that a Kentucky or Duke usually requires from their freshman. He could probably start at the 4 for us next season if he was on the team though, but would be the 5th option on offense.

Reaction Score
"Offensively, he is still raw." Another offensive project....hmmmm....just what we need, right?

Reaction Score
"Offensively, he is still raw." Another offensive project....hmmmm....just what we need, right?
You seem to be interpreting this as having no offense. He's a top ranked player because he scores. I think it is better said that he has a huge offensive upside to polish his game. He has showed he can make clutch 3's sending games into overtime and winning games at the buzzer, but he is only going to take 1-4 3's a game when the situation presents itself. For Brewster I've seen him take a rebound and go end to end and finish. I've also seen several straight line hard drives to the hole and finish in half court sets. He's 'raw' in the sense that he can do much more and with more frequency. Not to be confused with having no offensive game. (I should also add, it is not a low post game. His offense starts most often from the wing)

Reaction Score
You seem to be interpreting this as having no offense. He's a top ranked player because he scores. I think it is better said that he has a huge offensive upside to polish his game. He has showed he can make clutch 3's sending games into overtime and winning games at the buzzer, but he is only going to take 1-4 3's a game when the situation presents itself. For Brewster I've seen him take a rebound and go end to end and finish. I've also seen several straight line hard drives to the hole and finish in half court sets. He's 'raw' in the sense that he can do much more and with more frequency. Not to be confused with having no offensive game. (I should also add, it is not a low post game. His offense starts most often from the wing)
Thanks for your reply and filling in the missing information based on your personal experiences seeing him in action.

Reaction Score

Spot on. Pieces are all there to handle, get to the rim, shoot 3s. He just doesn't do it consistently. Only thing I haven't ever seen on offense is passing very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom