Taya Reimer | The Boneyard

Taya Reimer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
What about Taya Reimer made her such a highly touted recruit? Serious question here, and I'm not trying to bash her...but usually consensus top 5 recruits possess a unique ability or skill set that makes them so desirable (ex. length, athleticism, shooting ability, height, etc) and I haven't seen any uniqueness to her game that makes me think she is going to develop into a top 5 player in her class.

Reaction Score
What about Taya Reimer made her such a highly touted recruit? Serious question here, and I'm not trying to bash her...but usually consensus top 5 recruits possess a unique ability or skill set that makes them so desirable (ex. length, athleticism, shooting ability, height, etc) and I haven't seen any uniqueness to her game that makes me think she is going to develop into a top 5 player in her class.
Isn't she just starting her sophomore season? Jury's still out, but seems like she has a lot to learn, especially how not to get into foul trouble.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Isn't she just starting her sophomore season? Jury's still out, but seems like she has a lot to learn, especially how not to get into foul trouble.

She is still young, but every other top 10 recruit from her class has shown flashes of being a great player excluding Russell (who is out this year) and Tucker (hasn't played yet.) Other top 10 recruits haven't lit it up yet, but have shown off some other skill--elite athleticism, great shooting ability, lock down defending, etc.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Not every player, even highly ranked players translate their game easily to the college level, just as some of the lower ranked players are surprising on the college level (Nurse comes to mind)

It is what it is...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not every player, even highly ranked players translate their game easily to the college level, just as some of the lower ranked players are surprising on the college level (Nurse comes to mind)

It is what it is...

Actually, RadyLady, Kia was not ranked at all. There was a considerable amount of on line video of her games and she looked impressive, though, to be sure, quality of opposition was hard to judge. She hardly came out of nowhere (and I know you aren't saying that), but for the next four years lots of us will be crediting CD and Co. for a great find and get.

Gotta say I hope her foul shooting picks up, because she has a great knack for the drive to the hoop and is deceptive in finding those seams. Very glad she is a Husky.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

It is what it is...
I understand that. My question is, what did she show in high school that made her such a coveted recruit?

Reaction Score
Actually, RadyLady, Kia was not ranked at all. There was a considerable amount of on line video of her games and she looked impressive, though, to be sure, quality of opposition was hard to judge. She hardly came out of nowhere (and I know you aren't saying that), but for the next four years lots of us will be crediting CD and Co. for a great find and get.

Gotta say I hope her foul shooting picks up, because she has a great knack for the drive to the hoop and is deceptive in finding those seams. Very glad she is a Husky.
I thought some services had her ranked? Way down, but still in the top 100 nonetheless. If I recall correctly, I don't think Geno and Co. "found" her, I think someone tipped them off as I think a few other schools were recruiting/looking at her as well. It seems like every team has one Canadian kid on it now.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Kia Nurse was ranked a 5* and #10 Wing per ESPN's Hoopgurlz...

My bad, 3 of 5 of the commercial ratings agencies had her ranked per vowelguy way back when commitment was imminent : She is #14 ASGR and #11 BlueStar. Dan Olson (ESPN HG) gave her a rating of 90, which puts her tied for #156 in his rankings. ProspectsNation doesn't have her listed, and she didn't make FullCourt's top 50.

My apologies for a slipping memory in my dotage. But what does come through is that the ratings were so off the wall as to be ...well...off the wall. To my central point, Kia should not be known as so low ranked player coming out of nowhere. She was far and away the best guard in Canada and starting PG for them in 2013.

PS. Revisiting when she committed is fun. Check it out: http://the-boneyard.com/threads/kia-nurse-early-commitment-reports-rankings-debate.47317/page-2

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kia Nurse was ranked a 5* and #10 Wing per ESPN's Hoopgurlz...
Wow that's even better than I thought. The recruitment of Kia is becoming much like the recruitment of Dolson - that UConn discovered talent where no one else had.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Well, the Canadian National Team certainly knew about Kia....

Reaction Score
I understand that. My question is, what did she show in high school that made her such a coveted recruit?
Looks like no one else is answering your question, so I'll give it a shot.

6'3", a college size body and all around skills AT AN EARLY AGE had a lot to do with it. She never really made the type of improvement one would expect from someone with her early promise.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

I get it. I didn't see her play in High School. Come to think of it, I didn't see any of these guys play in high school. The powers that evaluate say she was good, so they rated her high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom