Taya Reimer to... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Taya Reimer to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
HG lists Stanford as a school of interest. The USA Basketball site does not, though their list is noted as only partial.

Taya's father is Ben Davis, former NBA player. She and Xylina have something in common. Xavier was a star.

What class is Kobe's daughter in? ;)

Reaction Score
I heard a couple of people say with all that talent how bout playtime? Well we had Tamika Swin and Asja they all played. They were all 6'2 wings/fwds coming out of high school. We had Sue Diana and Maria and they all played. You earn your playtime, and UConn is a team about playing and developing as a team. By having that philosophy you are prepared for the next level. Look at the WNBA and see how many UConn players are there. Not all started every season. Heck Diana and Maya, Ashley Battle Jessica Moore and Kalana Greene didnt start every game but earned playtime and look at them now. With that said UConn is at a different level when it comes to playtime with great players.

Another thing to think about is the WNBA. All that talent sitting on the bench and they get playtime. Uconn has and will continue to have top talent. The top talent will continue get playtime, because Geno does not depend on one player but rather he depends on a team concept of kids playing together as a unit, as one. So if there are any thoughts of more top talent not coming to UConn because of the talent UConn already has, well I dont think thats an excuse not to come to UConn. Its more about what you can become, how your developed then about getting enough playtime. UConn has to much to offer for those who want it. Hey if your good and talented UConn will play you. So for those who mentioned and are concerned how will Diamond Sierra and Taya all get playtime at UConn thats nonsense. They will all play because they are all terrific players and Geno has a proven record of playing the best with the best and making them the best.

+1

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Didn't she say something about prolonging the process so that other members of her HS team get more looks from recruiters? I think it was in an interview she did at some point in 2011. So if true, that might be at least a partial reason.
That's what i thought also. Additionally, and i'm not sure how the conversations went as i wasn't there, but i'm pretty sure Geno encouraged Stewart to take visits as well so that when she finally decided on UCONN, she'd be 100% certain, unlike Gemelos, Harper, and EDD...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I heard a couple of people say with all that talent how bout playtime? Well we had Tamika Swin and Asja they all played. They were all 6'2 wings/fwds coming out of high school. We had Sue Diana and Maria and they all played. You earn your playtime, and UConn is a team about playing and developing as a team. By having that philosophy you are prepared for the next level. Look at the WNBA and see how many UConn players are there. Not all started every season. Heck Diana and Maya, Ashley Battle Jessica Moore and Kalana Greene didnt start every game but earned playtime and look at them now. With that said UConn is at a different level when it comes to playtime with great players.

Another thing to think about is the WNBA. All that talent sitting on the bench and they get playtime. Uconn has and will continue to have top talent. The top talent will continue get playtime, because Geno does not depend on one player but rather he depends on a team concept of kids playing together as a unit, as one. So if there are any thoughts of more top talent not coming to UConn because of the talent UConn already has, well I dont think thats an excuse not to come to UConn. Its more about what you can become, how your developed then about getting enough playtime. UConn has to much to offer for those who want it. Hey if your good and talented UConn will play you. So for those who mentioned and are concerned how will Diamond Sierra and Taya all get playtime at UConn thats nonsense. They will all play because they are all terrific players and Geno has a proven record of playing the best with the best and making them the best.
one other thing to add to Tony's WNBA comments... not only does UCONN have the most players in the W of any other team (11, vs 10 for Tenn, 7 for Duke, and 6 for RU), but their players are far and away much more productive than any other program. and more than that, UCONN had 6 players on the 12 member US National team this past season. they will have at least 4 and possibly 5 on the Olympic team.

some of these kids were rated lower coming out of HS than others (Renee for example was not nearly as decorated coming out of HS as Alexis Hornbuckle), but under Geno's tutelage, these kids not only improved, but have gone on to become some of the best players at their positions... certainly better than others who were rated higher coming out of HS.

the point i'm making is in reference to developing the players to the best they can possibly be. i'm not saying kids can't develop at other programs, but there's no coach who consistently develops these kids to exceed any expectations as Geno does.

Maybe it's just that he sees things no one else does. Maybe he really is the best at what he does. Maybe these kids had latent natural talent anyway. it's probably a combo of all of it.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Part of Taya's profile from USA Basketball:

Favorite basketball team: Miami Heat.
Favorite non-basketball Olympian: Apolo Anton Ohno.
If you could be a standout athlete in another sport, you’d: swim.
The best players you’ve played against: Cierra Burdick, Moriah Jefferson and Malina Howard.
You most want to play one-on-one against: Maya Moore.
Most impressive person you’ve met: Maya Moore, because she is a great player and an even better person.

I wonder if Maya will be on hand as a spectator / special visitor for the First Night festivities....? :cool: And how about Sue? I know she just had the operation but wasn't sure when she would be arriving in Connecticut to begin the rehab

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
How is it wasting others time if they have the opportunity to see other excellent atletes, too, and they can make their own decision about the effort to recruit Diamond.
I must be missing something that goes on between Tonyc and DaddyChoc or with DaddyChoc himself. I thought DaddyChoc brought up a decent counter point to Tony's assertion. I didn't get the impression it was snarky. And his question to Tony was in agreement with what you wrote. These athletes probably haven't made up their minds completely and are checking out their options. That was all I got from that question posed by Daddy. But I'm not as versed on all the banter that goes on in this forum to know if there is an underlying current that belies the stated question.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Didn't realize Taya was considering Stanford. I wonder if she qualifies for Stanford's admission requirements. If she does, will be difficult; not impossible; to beat them out for Taya.

How, and on what basis, do you say/know that?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The OU link shows which schools Taya is considering and Stanford is listed.

Link

While UConn has won some recruiting battles against Stanford, I suspect UConn has lost more then they won. The Oguwmike sisters and Kayla Pedersen being the latest. Hard to beat the Stanford degree and Palo Alto.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The OU link shows which schools Taya is considering and Stanford is listed.

Link

While UConn has won some recruiting battles against Stanford, I suspect UConn has lost more then they won. The Oguwmike sisters and Kayla Pedersen being the latest. Hard to beat the Stanford degree and Palo Alto.

You must mean Jayne Appel. I don't recall that UConn was ever in a battle with Stanford over Pedersen. I imagine UConn expressed some interest in Pedersen early on but her top 10 never included UConn.

Reaction Score

One of these things is not like the other. Prime rib, T-bone steak, and McDonald's cheeseburger. Why do people mention Maria Conlon, with Sue or Diana. Why not Morgan Valley. Maria was a spot up 3 point shooter who got open looks because everyone focused on Diana. She would not get minutes on this roster. She did not get minutes until after Sue left because we didn't have very good guards. Ann Strother didn't have great ball handling skills and was also left to be just a jump shooter. DT made many players look better, but then again she was DT. They will not hang Maria's # from the rafters.I don't want to be mean but she was an OK role player.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
One of these things is not like the other. Prime rib, T-bone steak, and McDonald's cheeseburger. Why do people mention Maria Conlon, with Sue or Diana. Why not Morgan Valley. Maria was a spot up 3 point shooter who got open looks because everyone focused on Diana. She would not get minutes on this roster. She did not get minutes until after Sue left because we didn't have very good guards. Ann Strother didn't have great ball handling skills and was also left to be just a jump shooter. DT made many players look better, but then again she was DT. They will not hang Maria's # from the rafters.I don't want to be mean but she was an OK role player.
Really, you didn't just call Maria a McDonald's cheeseburger. Really??

While she wasn't a superstar, she was the STARTING point guard (no, DT wasn't the point guard) on TWO national championship teams AFTER Bird, Jones, Cash and Williams graduated.

Over those two years, she was 2nd on the team in assists, 1st in assist/to ratio, 1st in 3 point percentage, 2nd in steals AHEAD of Taurasi. And countless heady plays made by someone much more than an "ok role player".

She shot 39% on 3's those two years as a starter. And UConn doesn't win either without her.

And she was good enough to make it to the last cut in two WNBA training camps. After winning the National Championship as a senior, shea flew out to Los Angeles to try out for the Women’s National Basketball Association Team the LA Sparks. She made it to the last day before getting cut from the roster. The following spring she was invited to a tryout with the WNBA Connecticut Sun basketball team, again making it to the last day before getting cut again.

Here is an article from Maria's Junior year, written by a well respected Boneyard writer. Learn something.

Thisjustin

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
DD, we all know Maria's secret weapons. She was too slow and couldn't jump. :) It completely confounded her opponents who looked past her while she buried dagger 3s and picked their pockets.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
DD, we all know Maria's secret weapons. She was too slow and couldn't jump. :) It completely confounded her opponents who looked past her while she buried dagger 3s and picked their pockets.
Padre, it was like riding a bike. After slapping around BBall45334 several times, the words just flowed.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe Geno described her as "short but slow.". :)

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Really, you didn't just call Maria a McDonald's cheeseburger. Really??

While she wasn't a superstar, she was the STARTING point guard (no, DT wasn't the point guard) on TWO national championship teams AFTER Bird, Jones, Cash and Williams graduated.

Over those two years, she was 2nd on the team in assists, 1st in assist/to ratio, 1st in 3 point percentage, 2nd in steals AHEAD of Taurasi. And countless heady plays made by someone much more than an "ok role player".

She shot 39% on 3's those two years as a starter. And UConn doesn't win either without her.

And she was good enough to make it to the last cut in two WNBA training camps. After winning the National Championship as a senior, shea flew out to Los Angeles to try out for the Women’s National Basketball Association Team the LA Sparks. She made it to the last day before getting cut from the roster. The following spring she was invited to a tryout with the WNBA Connecticut Sun basketball team, again making it to the last day before getting cut again.

Here is an article from Maria's Junior year, written by a well respected Boneyard writer. Learn something.

Thisjustin
After watching Maria play several times in HS, her success at UConn and as National Championship point guard was no surprise for me.

In HS she was always triple-teamed. Her opponents got so tired of her beating them practically singlehanded that they resorted to awful physical tactics with her throughout the game. But she always made the plays and hit the shots to win the game.

I am sure that Maria's great toughness was at the top of the list of attributes that led to her scholarship offer.

And having met her parents, I know where that toughness came from.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
She looks just great. I would worry about ND too...Indiana, etc and such a good school academically.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Didn't she say something about prolonging the process so that other members of her HS team get more looks from recruiters? I think it was in an interview she did at some point in 2011. So if true, that might be at least a partial reason.
reasonable, thanks!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
That's what i thought also. Additionally, and i'm not sure how the conversations went as i wasn't there, but i'm pretty sure Geno encouraged Stewart to take visits as well so that when she finally decided on UCONN, she'd be 100% certain, unlike Gemelos, Harper, and EDD...
I agree with this

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I must be missing something that goes on between Tonyc and DaddyChoc or with DaddyChoc himself. I thought DaddyChoc brought up a decent counter point to Tony's assertion. I didn't get the impression it was snarky. And his question to Tony was in agreement with what you wrote. These athletes probably haven't made up their minds completely and are checking out their options. That was all I got from that question posed by Daddy. But I'm not as versed on all the banter that goes on in this forum to know if there is an underlying current that belies the stated question.

btw: did KML take all her visits... Diamond is, so Im wondering what his opinion is based on. If he or anyone has solid sources please share or lay-low and let her take her visit.

again, if she's a lock why waste others time. Eric & Va made good points (helping teammates & looking around before making final decision) on reasons she may be taking them. I have a gut-feeling that she will join UConn but my gut doesnt mean jack. I'll wait & see :)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
DC,don'tbother to reply. I don't want another thread locked.
Sorry to disappoint but I think that this one has played itself out.

Agreed. I was editing while Biff was locking. The missing context is some familiar DC/DD squabbling.

DD and DC: Am not assigning blame, but the two of you don't get along at all. Suggestion: one response each (to which you're entitled) and then lay off. Trading accusations of "stalker" and "snarky" is personal to you guys and doesn't benefit the board. -- JS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom