Tax Day Nightmare | The Boneyard

Tax Day Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OK so at 4;30 today I get a call from my accountant that he couldn't file my taxes electronically as he said he would because someone highjacked my SS number tried to file my taxes, and the IRS wants me to mail the return. They are aware of the problem I guess it's happening everywhere. The post office is open until 5 and I had to rush to pick up the return and race to the post office, got there with 2 minutes to spare. Hartford is open till 8 and Windsor Locks till 12? I did not need this today. At this small post office they had 6 incidents of this today. I have a credit freeze on my account that we did because of the Blue Cross thing and I also have lifelock. No electronic filing next year i guess. I've had my credit card hacked one time to buy bicycles in California but this stuff is starting to get out of control.

Reaction Score
A large source of SS numbers on 60 minutes was secretaries at doctors, or any offices selling the patients or people's numbers. Your name and SS number is out there on insurance, medical and many other sources. The crooks simply fill out a tax rerun for whatever amount they want and it refunds electronically to a cash card, the IRS does not check anything. It's happened to 3 friends last year. Will take up to 6 months to resolve. Very few get caught. What a country.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
tax fraud has morphed into an epidemic

easy target, easy process, and the governments continue to force more and more of this stuff down our throats

as for tax penalties or other adverse tax consequences, there would be none under such circumstances

Reaction Score
OK so at 4;30 today I get a call from my accountant that he couldn't file my taxes electronically as he said he would because someone highjacked my SS number tried to file my taxes, and the IRS wants me to mail the return. They are aware of the problem I guess it's happening everywhere. The post office is open until 5 and I had to rush to pick up the return and race to the post office, got there with 2 minutes to spare. Hartford is open till 8 and Windsor Locks till 12? I did not need this today. At this small post office they had 6 incidents of this today. I have a credit freeze on my account that we did because of the Blue Cross thing and I also have lifelock. No electronic filing next year i guess. I've had my credit card hacked one time to buy bicycles in California but this stuff is starting to get out of control.

My buddy and his wife file separately and they went to file his wives and someone already had. What a hot mess he said they visited the IRS, the police station and all the other crap the ensues.

Reaction Score
My buddy and his wife file separately and they went to file his wives and someone already had. What a hot mess he said they visited the IRS, the police station and all the other crap the ensues.
Yup, police station later today.

Reaction Score
This has been happening a lot. A friend of mine is in the process of clearing it up. It will get cleared up (they accept the check but reject the return at first). It is a pain but it gets squared away.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
My wife is a tax pro.. it's been going on for years... it's catch 22. People want to be able to do their taxes online and get their money quickly... but it's just not going to be secure if you do.

Reaction Score
A buddy of mine had this happen. Spent 3 days in the IRS office trying to get things straightened out. On another note, I got married in 2014 and my wife and I filed Married, filing separately. Went to submit my wife's last night through EFile and it got rejected. Apparently, the IRS forgot to add coding to the EFILE to take into account people who took advantage of the 2008 Home Buyer Credit (no, not the one in 2009 that happened mid-year and was retrod back to Jan 1, 2009 where the people dont have to pay it back). So now I have to print it out and add in the information to 60b so she can cut them a check for 1200 bucks.

Reaction Score
Can Target and/or Anthem, etc. be sued individually or is the class action the only vehicle?

This isn't accidental and there has to be is a common source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom