tattoos | The Boneyard

tattoos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
I must admit I was surprised at seeing so many tattoos on B. Griner. In her book she says that while at Baylor she had to wear a t-shirt. Is there anyone at the professional level, besides Ray Allen and Kevin Durant, who doesn't sport a tattoo? Are tattoos discouraged by GENO?

Reaction Score
I must admit I was surprised at seeing so many tattoos on B. Griner. In her book she says that while at Baylor she had to wear a t-shirt. Is there anyone at the professional level, besides Ray Allen and Kevin Durant, who doesn't sport a tattoo? Are tattoos discouraged by GENO?
Yes is the answer to both questions.

Reaction Score
Yes and they must be covered up or you will not play unless he approves it like he did for Chong this year who has her late brother's name on the inside of her wrist.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Some folks tats I kind of like and some I think are over-done. Some I really, really don't like. Chef Aaron Sanchez, who appears on various food network shows, has tattoos on his hands that look quite unpleasant on TV, in my opinion, and a couple of guys were recently on food network shows who had tattoos on their clean-shaven skulls. Likewise, I thought this looked unpleasant.

It is, however, a matter of personal taste. I have never felt that players at RU or anywhere else should have to cover them up, but it is up to the coach, and I certainly respect Geno for his take. Vivian has been inconsistent, with some covered and some not. Perhaps her opinion was likewise affected by what the tattoos said.

Reaction Score
Generally not allowed to be visible in UConn WCBB. Even fan favorite Stef Dolson has them. There are lots of rules. One of the big ones is no crazy hair styles along with no visible tattoos. Geno and CD have spent 3 decades building a brand.

Reaction Score
I'm getting "up a bit" in years, so there's a lot of stuff in trending culture that I, unsurprisingly, just don't get. And, equally unsurprising, no one cares what I think. But this tattoo thing...I dunno, it strikes me as pretty disgusting, including a couple that one of my sons got (to my horror and dismay). I put them pretty much in the same "please notice me" category as vanity license plates, though the latter are far easier to remove. Having said all of that, and irrespective of my generally powerful pro-feminist views on a multitude of issues, I have to say that whoever came up with the idea that the application of these things on girls was a sound proposition ought to be dragged out in front of a firing squad!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There has been a huge shift in the attitudes towards body art. Many of the former pshychological insights and assumptions are shifting. The content of the art is, also, shifting.

We have a pastor in the ELCA, my denomination, who has extensive sleeves which are pieces of historical liturgical art. Her name is Nadia Bols-Weber. Her auto-biographic book about her journey to ordained ministry includes insights into those choices. Her book is titled, "Pastrix." LINK

Reaction Score
I am old fashioned so I also don't get the attraction. I also wonder how many of the people getting tats will later in life regret getting one. My daughter got one in college and has now spent a lot of money to get it removed.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
There has been a huge shift in the attitudes towards body art. Many of the former pshychological insights and assumptions are shifting. The content of the art is, also, shifting.

We have a pastor in the ELCA, my denomination, who has extensive sleeves which are pieces of historical liturgical art. Her name is Nadia Bols-Weber. Her auto-biographic book about her journey to ordained ministry includes insights into those choices. Her book is titled, "Pastrix." LINK

My wife is a big fan of Bols-Weber and has shown clips of her speaking as part of her own sermons.

Reaction Score
Didn't Shea Ralph have a "sore ankle" that had to be bandaged every game throughout her UConn career?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My wife is a big fan of Bols-Weber and has shown clips of her speaking as part of her own sermons.
We are just starting a process of addressing facilities for the use of video clips. She was awesome at the National Youth Gathering.

Reaction Score
Shabazz is loaded with tats, but on NBA draft night wearing a beautiful blue suit none were vis. and he looked like a normal young rich guy awaiting his first day in the office (gym). Go Huskies!!!!!:):):):)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We have this discussion every couple of years or so. It's normally split down generational lines in terms of 'for' or 'against' with some exceptions.

Bottom line, if someone wants to tat themselves up, it's their choice. Their body, their choice.

Reaction Score
I am old fashioned so I also don't get the attraction. I also wonder how many of the people getting tats will later in life regret getting one. My daughter got one in college and has now spent a lot of money to get it removed.

IMHO it depends what the tattoo is. If it is in memory to someone special or a reminder of a significant part of someones life then I don't think you could ever really regret it

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I hardly ever even think about tats anymore. I tend to enjoy seeing them as the are usually colorful and quite frankly they are works of art.

A tattoo is not a "look at me" thing or people would only get tats where they are visible. Tats are part of self expression.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
upload_2014-8-10_13-44-39.jpeg

Last edited:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Samanthabrown3 said:
I work with someone who has one tattoo, on the back of her shoulder. Still wondering why she'd get it where she can't see it.

Maybe it's not for her

Reaction Score
I also don't get tats. It may be an age thing. I don't have a problem with one or two tats with significant meaning like Marine Corps or Navy tats but sleeves and full leg or chest and back tats just look freakish to me. My daughter chose to get a tat of a few birds flying on her foot that can't be seen anyplace but the beach, but I still didn't like it. But as noted by someone earlier my opinion doesn't mean didly squat.

Reaction Score
I don't think there's anything wrong with tattoos, it just depends what and where it is.

Reaction Score
We on the board, went thru a long dialog on tattoos several years ago. Reasons were given, yes & no'. I got the feeling that very few to no opinion's were changed on the matter. I was of the opinion that carbon injected tattoo material was a mutilation of the skin, others disagreed. Without going into aesthetics, biologically, skin is an organ & I strongly feel it's integrity should not be violated.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I was of the opinion that carbon injected tattoo material was a mutilation of the skin, others disagreed. Without going into aesthetics, biologically, skin is an organ & I strongly feel it's integrity should not be violated.

So, based on the same reasoning, you do not approve of piercings either (ear or otherwise)? Not even being snarky here.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Generally not allowed to be visible in UConn WCBB. Even fan favorite Stef Dolson has them. There are lots of rules. One of the big ones is no crazy hair styles along with no visible tattoos. Geno and CD have spent 3 decades building a brand.
Thank you . I just learned a lot about the Lady Huskies program.

Reaction Score
I'm an old, crotchety Boneyard fan. Tattoos make me feel uncomfortable, because they remind me that the world is changing. I'm sort of OK with tattoos that I think are meaningful or inconspicuous (Chong and Dolson are OK, I guess), but frankly, no one should do things to their body which don't reflect my sense of aesthetics. Given that the world clearly revolves around the way my generation did things, kids these days with brightly colored hair or piercings or tattoos must receive a lot of attention and, therefore, made that choice just to get attention. Kids these days just want attention. Probably because of facechat. I don't know how students even find time to practice between checking their phones, getting tattoos, and walking on my lawn.

Given that college students who have brightly colored hair, piercings, or tattoos are generally lazy and undisciplined, I'm glad that Coach Auriemma requires our young ladies to cover up; otherwise it would ruin UConn's brand. It would be difficult for the families of prospective student athletes to recognize that our 40-0 national championship team was disciplined if they kept getting distracted by tattoos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom