"Updated 9-6-2017 (UK Statistics):
  1. 70% of US business owners do not favor tattoos on employees
  2. Tattoo removal clinics have grown by 400% in the past decade
  3. 11% of all people with tattoos have them removed
  4. 26% of inked millennials regret their tattoo
  5. Laser tattoo removal clients are 70% female"
Tattoo Removal Statistics 2017 | Fresh Start Laser Tattoo Removal Clinic

BUT for the USA:

Americans, for the most part, have neutral or favorable opinions about people with tattoos. The majority of Americans make no distinction between tattooed and untattooed folks. Among the small number of people who did have unfavorable opinions of people with body art, people with tattoos were perceived to be:
Roger-Reyes.jpg

• Less attractive
• Less intelligent
• Less sexy
• Less spiritual
• More rebellious
• Unhealthy

Reaction Score
Where did you get the idea we can't discuss tats? We're discussing them right here in this thread.

My daughter-in-law has a large tat on her shoulder and arm. I love her dearly, but it took a while for me to get used to her tat. I'm finally kinda okay with it... kinda.

Being a traditionalist, I very much appreciate that the UConn women are free of visible tats, but would probably be okay if the policy were relaxed a bit.
I totally appreciate your point of view. I’m tat-free but I am open-minded to progressive thinking.
I love the tradition of the UConn women. When I go to Philly to watch them play, I make sure that I get there early to watch them run out on the floor, stretch at half court, and methodically go through their drills.
I don’t like that things on this blog can’t be discussed because, well “it’s worked for us so far”.

Reaction Score
How much of the Tat business is CD's? She generally sets the standards for the teams in terms of comportment, no?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
So how is she allowed to have an uncovered one? Is it because it is a religious icon?

I’m going to guess she had it before she signed her LOI. It would be weird/distracting/uncomfortable to have KT tape on her neck and she’d just sweat makeup off, so I’ve assumed there was an agreement made.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
From what I can see permitting tattoo's at this time is so far behind the curve. As I watch kids under ten I see how they are starting to rebel against the over tattooed, low pants slinging look that the two generations before them did to death. By the time UConn relaxes those rules these markings will be running out of fashion. I am personally glad UConn hasn't relaxed those rules since it readily distinguishes them from almost everyone else. Also I still find them ugly and unattractive. It all still looks like either bad cartoon art or unrecognizable scrawlings.

From my vantage not having a tattoo makes more of a social/politcal statement than having one, since most people of a certain age have so many. Most of the time it seems people end up invading someone's personal space or end up asking just to find out what in heck it is. Some players are so covered in these things I sometimes wonder why they didn't just paint themselves blue and be done. Also writing these hackneyed, overused (especially in foreign languages), or grammatically semi-literate words and phrases on your body is just, for me, eye rolling silliness.

Reaction Score
I am not a fan of tattoos but to each his own. I agree with their rule and understand it as a ex-coach and official there are rules for not obvious reasons. Usually because it is easier to have a general rule against something than to have to make judgements on exceptions. What might not be offensive to some would be to others - especially in today's world.

Reaction Score
I am not a fan of tats but my daughter is covered with them. They make her happy. I figure why put something permanent on my body that might not reflect who I am 20 years from now, plus I am more of a natural beauty guy, but if tats help get you through the night, so be it. I think character is more important. I can live with tats on the court.

Reaction Score
I am not a fan of tattoos but to each his own. I agree with their rule and understand it as a ex-coach and official there are rules for not obvious reasons. Usually because it is easier to have a general rule against something than to have to make judgements on exceptions. What might not be offensive to some would be to others - especially in today's world.
The world may not be black and white (pardon the pun) but somewhere in between. Seems like a brilliant institution like UConn women's basketball could be deft enough to find a nice cozy niche somewhere in the middle.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Geno’s believes that it’s all about team. If you want to distinguish yourself, you do so with your play, not with hiked up shorts, shirts hanging out, headbands or tattoos.

I’m not saying that he’s right or wrong, but it’s hard to argue with the results
what results?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Hartley had tats. Has a lot more now. Dolson (with Doty) got a tat on her foot after the '13 NC. Has a lot more now.

Pheese got one this past summer. Broke my heart. I always saw her as girl-next-door wholesome. I still love her though.

Shea Ralph famously had one (still does!).

Stewie has one now. Ack!

Could be a lot that just don't show.
Cassie Kerns has a few tats as well

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Geno, of course, recently went on video record about tatoos:

Geno called teens crazy for even wanting tats, he said that thinking at 16-18 shows that they are not UConn material (something to that effect, was said on a Geno show... maybe on CPTV)

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Maybe I am an exception, but I have always liked the New York Yankee tonsorial standard. You don't see long hair, long beards, sideburns, mustaches (with a few Willie Randolph-type exceptions)

Here's Johnny Damon as a Yankee. With the one-picture limit, I can't show you his long-haired, bearded Red Sox look ( In the 2004 ALCS, he played AND looked like Samson. )
t
1554958798131.png

Reaction Score
Maybe I am an exception, but I have always liked the New York Yankee tonsorial standard. You don't see long hair, long beards, sideburns, mustaches (with a few Willie Randolph-type exceptions)

Here's Johnny Damon as a Yankee. With the one-picture limit, I can't show you his long-haired, bearded Red Sox look ( In the 2004 ALCS, he played AND looked like Samson. )
t View attachment 42167
Perfect analogy! Not sure though which side of the discussion it illustrates. The Yanks have one of the top payrolls in baseball year after year and they've won one title in the last close to 20 years. I'd love to hear Damon's take on it. The rival Sox have won how many titles in the same time period? 4?
Wonder if the Yanks have ever lost a big free agent over the issue?
Lots of similarities. Thanks.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
but we aren't going to conclude that having tats causes you to lose?
Obviously not, considering that Gabby, Saniya and other Husky players have tatoos. My point is that Geno has always recruited "team first" players. To the extent that a tatoo expresses a religious belief, affection for a loved one or a strongly held social position, I personally don't think there is any problem. To the extent that a tatoo is an extension of an independent, anti-authority personality that focuses on "me" and not "we" then I think that becomes a problem for Geno.

Reaction Score
I'm a fan of the team first concept. I'm also a Yankee fan and their no beard/no name rule has stood the test of time and I think Geno's will also.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom