Tattoos | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tattoos

Reaction Score
I've informed my older daughter I'd consider investing in a tattoo removal business..............I can't imagine that as these kids hit middle age they are going to want all that bad ink anymore............

Reaction Score
I've informed my older daughter I'd consider investing in a tattoo removal business....I can't imagine that as these kids hit middle age they are going to want all that bad ink anymore..
A new painless technology will be a real winner. Let me know in advance before your IPO!

Reaction Score
It looks like Tuck played in Make up, and her eyelashes were nice and long, not sure if they were fake or real.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
There was a time when not shaving for 3 days made people think you looked like/were a bum
... and there was time that people though that impact of Geno not shaving could cost us a shot at the national championship.

#COGS

Reaction Score
The girl next door has tats. You may not be able to see them, but they are there. I know, I know, this is like breaking the news that the Tooth Fairy isn't real, but eventually we all must confront reality.
If you can’t see them how do you know she has one

Reaction Score
Those long green fingernails used to shred Dolson when playing ND.

Players being recruited are used to not having long fingernails, or not having any type of metal jewelry, hair pins etc., since they are illegal in high school play because they are a danger to other players. Officials can remove players from the game for violations. Who, in their right mind, would want long fingernails in a basketball game or practice? A hard pass or loose ball scrum could peel that back like skinning a catfish, and if you’ve ever had that particular injury, you know just how painful it is. Very painful indeed, unless you fall into category my Father put my brother and me growing up when he, only somewhat in jest, told us “no brain, no pain”.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
It's interesting, because in that respect I feel like UConn, Stanford, and Notre Dame are all pretty similar. I can't recall obviously visible tattoos on any of the players on court. Despite being probably well below average age of this board, I'm a fan of such a policy.

My depression-era-raised father got a tattoo shortly after he joined the Navy at 16 during WWII to seem tougher, and he always regretted it. As he grew older, the ink faded a bit, the image warped as he gained weight, and it just looked less appropriate on a 50-something businessman than a teenager in the Navy. I grew up with him constantly reminding me that you do silly things at 16 without thinking, and don't realize the long-term consequences.

Maybe for that reason, I'm happy for Geno to keep the presentation simple on court. One more to add to the growing list of reasons I'm a huge Geno fan.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
I think one reason they get the tattoos is as youngsters growing up in an affluent society, they want to get down and feel cool, hip, edgy, authentic, and gangsta-like, and a tattoo is their passport to this cool and edgy existence. Good luck to them at the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics in Japan where tattoos are strictly forbidden at hot springs (usually attached to a Japanese-style hotel or resort) and public baths because of their association to the Yakuza. Many an American tourist has been surprised and disappointed by being refused entry. And they won't be allowed to cover them to get in.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not looking for personal opinions about having tattoos, but do you think that UConn and Geno should relax their ban on players having tattoos? They are not just for sailors and bikers any more, but have become much more mainstream.
Are we missing out on some quality players because of it?
Yes I personally think Geno should relax the ban on players having tattoos.
I can't think of a specific player that UCONN has lost out on but this is the generation of customization which includes body art, hair colorization, and uniform modification. I'm not in favor of any off it but entirely numb to the whole issue. If a player can play I want her in a UCONN uniform. Aliyah Edwards for example likes to color her hair with bright yellow streaks, I would hate for her not to end up at UCONN because of the way she likes to color her hair.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Very interesting, enlightening and, for the most part, high-minded discussion/debate. (I knew you guys could do it!)

I don't have a firm position on tattoos other than to voice the notion that if they're permitted, short of obscenity, it will be problematic to limit them based on content. I'd hate for a school to be the arbiter of what's permissible and what isn't, deciding that a crucifix or an ode to a deceased family member is acceptable but a social message such as "Vote" or something even more provocative such as "Black Lives Matter" is not.

I look forward to reading your responses.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
The BY can talk about Geno’s recruiting “woes” but we can’t discuss players being allowed to don tats.

Where did you get the idea we can't discuss tats? We're discussing them right here in this thread.

My daughter-in-law has a large tat on her shoulder and arm. I love her dearly, but it took a while for me to get used to her tat. I'm finally kinda okay with it... kinda.

Being a traditionalist, I very much appreciate that the UConn women are free of visible tats, but would probably be okay if the policy were relaxed a bit.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I think part of the problem is that right now the rule is black and white -- you can't have visible tattoos (I'm guessing that CW's cross on her neck was already there before she signed and there was some kind of arrangement made that it could be left alone).

When you start to muddle that, then kids are looking for a way to get around the rule. Not because they're bad kids, but because that's just the stage of life they're in.

Any changes would just open the flood gates because anything in the middle is just too arbitrary, and I can't see Geno and CD being okay with someone covered in visible tattoos representing the brand they've so carefully created.

Is it old-fashioned? Maybe. But I think there is a place for this mentality when there are a lot of great programs and a lot of great players.

I feel like I should note that I'm a 30-year-old woman who has 20 piercings and no tattoos. I'm down for people doing whatever makes them feel good. However, because I'm in education in the South, I recognize that my piercings could keep me from getting jobs. The way I look at it, if I want the job badly enough, I'll follow their rules, but odds are, if a school already has a written policy against them, it's probably not a good fit for me to begin with.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While I have friends with tats, I still see them (tats and more so, piercing) as a form of self-mutilation. Some "sleeves" are pure art but, why graffiti your body.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I've informed my older daughter I'd consider investing in a tattoo removal business....I can't imagine that as these kids hit middle age they are going to want all that bad ink anymore..
It is already a massive and very profitable business.

Reaction Score
Hartley had tats. Has a lot more now. Dolson (with Doty) got a tat on her foot after the '13 NC. Has a lot more now.

Pheese got one this past summer. Broke my heart. I always saw her as girl-next-door wholesome. I still love her though.

Shea Ralph famously had one (still does!).

Stewie has one now. Ack!

Could be a lot that just don't show.

Broke your heart? Seriously? You care that much about what other people decide to do to their own bodies? Having tattoos doesn't make her any less wholesome.. good God, you people are ridiculous. Seek help.

Reaction Score
When not allowing players to have tattoos prevents UConn from getting top players one of two things will happen: either Geno will retire or he will accept tattoos. To date, at least on the surface, it does not seem to have affected recruiting.

As someone mentioned, when you accept that players can have tattoos do you then become the judge of what message is acceptable and what is not. It is much easier and less offending to not have to deal with that issue. And, although I have no tattoos, I am a person who admires many tattoos especially ones that have a personal story behind them.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
How about blue and white hair, nose rings and mouth pieces?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
While I have friends with tats, I still see them (tats and more so, piercing) as a form of self-mutilation. Some "sleeves" are pure art but, why graffiti your body.
IDK, women wear make up. Women wear earrings. Men color/cut their hair.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
if someone wants to have a tattoo, it's none of my business. if some other people give them some demerit or plaudit for their decision, they gotta deal with those reactions. if they at some point they regret getting their tattoo or are forever happy with its presence, it's hunky dory.

i'd just like to know what prompts folks to get a tattoo in the first place. i just don't get it.
... i could imagine a few rare instances -- saniya's, for example -- when there might be a rationale, but i can't come up with many. i'd like to hear some other good explanations.

or are people simply following a temporarily popular fashion, like beards or wide neckties (or neckties at all) or sensible sedans -- but one that will be a lot more difficult to dispose of and forget?

Reaction Score
I had always thought that the main thing about no tats was the idea of
emphasizing "team" over "hey look at me" individualism. If that is indeed
the reason then I'm for it.

Reaction Score
I wish we had more players with sleeves like Sam Fuehring. Could you imagine how bad*ss Lou would look with one! Or Bent sporting one off the bench. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom