Tattoos | The Boneyard

Tattoos

Reaction Score
Not looking for personal opinions about having tattoos, but do you think that UConn and Geno should relax their ban on players having tattoos? They are not just for sailors and bikers any more, but have become much more mainstream.
Are we missing out on some quality players because of it?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I think if you can’t wait until you graduate to get your tattoos, that’s just going to be the beginning of your clashes with the UConn staff.

And Moriah’s nose piercing looks lovely — she waited and was justly rewarded. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Both Gabby & Saniya had tattoos.

The numbers, in dark ink, are small and nondescript on her left wrist:
1985-2006.
No matter the size or design or message, there is an enduring rule with the UConn women's basketball program. All tattoos must be covered during games. Chong does not mind the understated modesty. Understated modesty probably best describes her.

"I got the tattoo my sophomore year in high school," the senior guard said Sunday as UConn prepared for its NCAA Tournament Elite Eight game against Oregon. "I was young, so I couldn't get anything big. But I wanted something small to always remember him, to inspire me."
When Chong was in the fifth grade, a vulnerable time for any young girl, her older brother Andrew committed suicide. He was 20.
"It impacted me a lot," Chong said. "Growing up, he wasn't there for me. I also know he always supported me."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting thread - I was think along the same lines when watching the HS game a few weeks back and there was a player with very long fake eyelashes. Uconn has some other restrictions regarding 'presentation on the court' starting with nail polish and excessive make-up and piercings I believe. Always wonder if these things will change.

Reaction Score
Interesting thread - I was think along the same lines when watching the HS game a few weeks back and there was a player with very long fake eyelashes. Uconn has some other restrictions regarding 'presentation on the court' starting with nail polish and excessive make-up and piercings I believe. Always wonder if these things will change.
Not anytime soon

Reaction Score
Wondering if this is Geno or CD doing the cover-ups? Regardless, in my 70’s and can’t deny tats have entered the mainstream and hope the UConn staff has also discovered the same measure of enlightment!

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
So UConn wouldn't take Anriel Howard because of her eyelashes and nail polish? As long as it doesn't cause harm in the course of playing, what's the problem? (Long fingernails, though, could be a hazard)

Standards can change because standards are arbitrary. I think too there is something classist about these restrictions.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno’s believes that it’s all about team. If you want to distinguish yourself, you do so with your play, not with hiked up shorts, shirts hanging out, headbands or tattoos.

I’m not saying that he’s right or wrong, but it’s hard to argue with the results

Reaction Score
So UConn wouldn't take Anriel Howard because of her eyelashes and nail polish? As long as it doesn't cause harm in the course of playing, what's the problem? (Long fingernails, though, could be a hazard)

Standards can change because standards are arbitrary. I think too there is something classist about these restrictions.
Every job has rules. The basketball program is about more than just basketball. The team rules are akin to rules you follow at your job, which is something these players will have to deal with after their four years in college. Geno and CD are preparing them for life in the real world. Every team in America has rules. That's not unique to UConn.

Reaction Score
Every job has rules. The basketball program is about more than just basketball. The team rules are akin to rules you follow at your job, which is something these players will have to deal with after their four years in college. Geno and CD are preparing them for life in the real world. Every team in America has rules. That's not unique to UConn.
I think it’s more nuanced than that. It’s worthy of discussion. Everything isn’t some affront to UConn basketball. The BY can talk about Geno’s recruiting “woes” but we can’t discuss players being allowed to don tats.
There’s a centuries old conflict between rules like this and individuality. As norms in society change, maybe rules should as well. Just think it’s a fun subject to discuss.
(Bah...... it’s worked pretty well so far...... Bah 100 straight wins 90 straight final fours.... Bah...)
BTW no diaper shorts and fake eyelashes are stupid. Look like athletes. FloJo

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
No headbands? Seriously?

Everybody should have the same hairdo then if you really want uniformity and no individualism.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Where did you come up with that?
Pookey and em told me a different story. They said Anriel Howard wasn't going to start at UCONN and she wanted to start so she went somewhere where she could and raise her WNBA stock. Seems to have worked out for both parties.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think a headband is OK. Collier wears a black one.

Good, thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking I'd seen Bueckers wearing a headband in some pictures. Some players might be making a fashion statement with them but for most it has a practical purpose.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Hartley had tats. Has a lot more now. Dolson (with Doty) got a tat on her foot after the '13 NC. Has a lot more now.

Pheese got one this past summer. Broke my heart. I always saw her as girl-next-door wholesome. I still love her though.

Shea Ralph famously had one (still does!).

Stewie has one now. Ack!

Could be a lot that just don't show.

Reaction Score

Those long green fingernails used to shred Dolson when playing ND.

Reaction Score
Geno’s believes that it’s all about team. If you want to distinguish yourself, you do so with your play, not with hiked up shorts, shirts hanging out, headbands or tattoos.

I’m not saying that he’s right or wrong, but it’s hard to argue with the results

how about if your tattoo just says UCONN!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom