Tate George... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tate George...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ironic that both the best (the "shot") and the worst (his arrest) for Tate George took place in Newark.

Didn't that the Shot take place in East Rutherford?

Reaction Score
Before we bury one of the greatest UCONN players lets see how it plays out. He is innocent until proven guilty, and the Government could be on a witch hunt in the post Madoff era. In reading of the NY Times article of a few years ago linked to in one of these articles he was partnering with some pretty big players on deals. He could just be a pawn of a few large developers. I hope it works out for him.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I was very surprised when I saw a number of months ago somebody posted how Tate George was a huge real estate tycoon. He didn't spend very long in the NBA and didn't make a ton of money so I wondered how he had the capital to do this.

After the Dream Season and Tate George was drafted by the Nets, I wrote to him to try to get his autograph. I sent him a first-day cover of the Big East Championship and two of his NBA rookie cards. I asked him to please sign the cover which cost me $10 but to keep the cards for himself. Instead, he kept the first-day cover (I assume because it was nice and something he didn't have one...) and one card and signed one card for me. At the time, I remember feeling like a victim of a ponzi scheme.....who knew?? Maybe it started with me.... LOL

Reaction Score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4CxbjRXwhY

The Shot....This was the beginning of the greatness for the Huskies. (Please note: Dave Gavitt in celebration)

Thanks for posting that. I probably haven't seen it in at least 10 years but it's amazing how every part of it - from the Clemson lady and her daughter to the reaction of the UConn fans to Smitty hugging Tate - is embedded in my memory.

Reaction Score
Before we bury one of the greatest UCONN players lets see how it plays out. He is innocent until proven guilty, and the Government could be on a witch hunt in the post Madoff era. In reading of the NY Times article of a few years ago linked to in one of these articles he was partnering with some pretty big players on deals. He could just be a pawn of a few large developers. I hope it works out for him.

Hear, hear. It's very easy to get in trouble in this type of situation if you don't know what you're doing, and the government loves itself some low-hanging fruit. In over his head, as Kitaman suggested, is probably correct. Let's wait and see how it plays out. Whatever happens, let's try to avoid a bunch of weak jokes like the ones in this thread. This is a guy who gave a lot to the program.

P.S. Sending you a free autograph, even if it's not on the $10 item you willingly sent with no legitimate expectation of return? Not a ponzi scheme.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I was a kid at the time so $10 was more than it is now. I got hundreds of players autographs that way back then and probably half did not respond at all and that comes with territory. He was the only one to take something like that when asked not to. Not a cool thing to do when you know the writer is a kid. Would you do that? Regardless of all that, Tate gas a place in my heart as a Husky fan and I hope somehow the charges are not true.
Hear, hear. It's very easy to get in trouble in this type of situation if you don't know what you're doing, and the government loves itself some low-hanging fruit. In over his head, as Kitaman suggested, is probably correct. Let's wait and see how it plays out. Whatever happens, let's try to avoid a bunch of weak jokes like the ones in this thread. This is a guy who gave a lot to the program.

P.S. Sending you a free autograph, even if it's not on the $10 item you willingly sent with no legitimate expectation of return? Not a ponzi scheme.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Like many people who end up in these circumstances, all this probably started off with the best of intentions. He may well have thought he was building something and got in over his head. Using incoming investments to try buttress a money losing business is all too common. It usually starts with the belief that things will 'turn around', becomes habit and ends up being the only apparent option to keep the roof from falling in. I'm not condoning what he did. It was illegal and immoral, but I understand the path he took. It's sad for him and for his investors and much less so for all of us.

Reaction Score
Who can know what happened, obviously...(innocent until proven guilty and all that)

Sad to see. I was thinking about it hard, but still, I don't think anyone can/should allow themselves to be too heart-broken by any of this. Did anyone need Tate to know that good/evil (innocent until proven guilty...) exists in the world? It's funny - a lot of us love Calhoun so much that this type of thing hurts us more than if we had someone else during this whole time, like, say, Leonard Hamilton.

My own Tate memory: St. Joseph's Women's College in WH, 1996/7 or so... He's dribbling back and forth up and down the court. Cut-off t-shirt. We're about to play in Hoop-It-Up. He's just dribbling back and forth - cross-0vers, behind-the-backs - up and down the court. We muster balls and say hi. It's Tate George! He just says hi and is very nice.

What Would Calhoun Do?

Calhoun, as you all know, is the man. Calhoun is thinking about how to castrate "the Orange" right now. Since you've started reading this, Blaney has said multiple things you could never repeat to your girlfriend/wife/ or mother to Calhoun....

Reaction Score
The shot helped put Tate into a mediocre NBA career in which he made a bit of money, rubbed shoulders with serious money and led him down this path. He was truly out of his league going into development and financing without background and only connections. It's an ongoing problem for semi famous athletes with no real education and no marketable skills when their careers are over. They just have no where to turn. A lot of these guys feel too important to take much lesser real world jobs, but in truth that's all they are capable of. I bet we could make a long list.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Hmm, big ACC media event for Disney, coinciding with bad UConn news that could've been released days or weeks before?

That's pretty interesting...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
catintinfoil.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Coincidence? I... think... not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads