Tate George Reality Show | The Boneyard

Tate George Reality Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Courant has an article about Tate trying to get his sentence reduced. They mentioned a reality show that is still on youtube. This is all I could find. Just sad.

Reaction Score
The Courant has an article about Tate trying to get his sentence reduced. They mentioned a reality show that is still on youtube. This is all I could find. Just sad.

I wish all of our guys could be perfection on and off the court, and could lead perfect happy lives. But that's not the way the world works, and that's not the way human beings work.

If you watch that video to the end, the next video you can click on is "The Shot". No one can ever take that away from Tate, or us.

I thank Tate for giving several moments of my life I will always remember, and I hope he can find redemption and then happiness.

Reaction Score
I wish all of our guys could be perfection on and off the court, and could lead perfect happy lives. But that's not the way the world works, and that's not the way human beings work.

If you watch that video to the end, the next video you can click on is "The Shot". No one can ever take that away from Tate, or us.

I thank Tate for giving several moments of my life I will always remember, and I hope he can find redemption and then happiness.

I got to chime in. You're overall perception of Tate George is just as valid as mine but as might guess I have a different outlook.

I personally lost a boat load a couple of years back and the banker herself was extremely apologetic. I made it a point to tell her and her superiors that I went into this strategy eyes wide open and it was executed as discussed. It was a hard pill to swallow but it just did not pan out. But she and her company did everything right. Completely different in Tate George's case.

There is a HUGE gap between perfection and stealing people's money they earned. In fact there is a huge gap between stealing and just living an ordinary life with its own splattering of imperfections. What he did was putrid and no last second heroic shot tempers his actions one bit. Husky fan or not the man stole under the veil of trust. It's one thing for an investment to go bad. That's part of the risk. But when the money did not have a chance to earn a return because it was used to fund a lifestyle that is as scummy as it gets.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
I got to chime in. You're overall perception of Tate George is just as valid as mine but as might guess I have a different outlook.

I personally lost a boat load a couple of years back and the banker herself was extremely apologetic. I made it a point to tell her and her superiors that I went into this strategy eyes wide open and it was executed as discussed. It was a hard pill to swallow but it just did not pan out. But she and her company did everything right. Completely different in Tate George's case.

There is a HUGE gap between perfection and stealing people's money they earned. In fact there is a huge gap between stealing and just living an ordinary life with its own splattering of imperfections. What he did was putrid and no last second heroic shot tempers his actions one bit. Husky fan or not the man stole under the veil of trust. It's one thing for an investment to go bad. That's part of the risk. But when the money did not have a chance to earn a return because it was used to fund a lifestyle that is as scummy as it gets.

And even worse, he stole from members of the Husky family... 'nuff said.

Reaction Score
There are some awful stuff that not even a UConn uniform can make right or acceptable.

If we had Hall of Shame, Tate would be the first bust. However probably not the only one or the last one.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I gave both you and selles a like. I felt both points were elegantly stated.

I'm impressed with you because quite a few people are unable to distinguish between valid effort that can fail vs. effort intended to deceive. I'm sure a lot of other investors involved with your banker held her personally accountable for the failure and were unable to forgive her actions.

I could be reading into things but I think selles agrees with you about the Ponzi Scheme. He didn't chose to condemn the act before chosing to express a generalized observation of humanity. I get the impression it was an oversight as opposed to a validation of the act. He went right into the "casting of stones" noble philosophy which I feel isn't expressed enough.

I think many of us understand that there is a difference between condemning an action by a person as opposed to condemning the person. On the other hand, there are people who think defending an individual is validating a negative action. I didn't get the impression this was what you were doing in your post. I'm taking the two posts and continuing the discussion.

As one who was taken in by a Ponzi scheme back in the 80's, I can feel for all the investors who lost money under Tate. Losing money hurts a lot. It hurts a lot more when you come to realize (I was very naive and trusting) that there are people who have no qualms about hurting others.

I think all of us get hurt a lot. I know I did. But from all of those negative experiences we have the opportunity to go in several directions - become bitter and hurt others, become bitter and withdraw from humanity, or become an advocate for humanity. I felt very strongly that both you and selles were being advocates and just expressing different aspects on this issue.

Reaction Score

Oh, I completely agree with you. What he did was utterly despicable and he deserves to serve his full sentence. I also agree with beerfan that the video was a very sad reflection of how warped Tate's mind became. My post was not intended to glorify or excuse him in the least. I wanted to express the hope that he can find some satisfaction in what he once actually accomplished as a means of grounding himself and shedding the painful, wannabe, extraordinarily selfish user of people he became when he tried to be something he was not. I hope he can ground himself so that he can spend the rest of his life making restitution and ultimately find redemption.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Oh, I completely agree with you. What he did was utterly despicable and he deserves to serve his full sentence. I also agree with beerfan that the video was a very sad reflection of how warped Tate's mind became. My post was not intended to glorify or excuse him in the least. I wanted to express the hope that he can find some satisfaction in what he once actually accomplished as a means of grounding himself and shedding the painful, wannabe, extraordinarily selfish user of people he became when he tried to be something he was not. I hope he can ground himself so that he can spend the rest of his life making restitution and ultimately find redemption.

I had you pegged. Funny how you were writing this as I was writing my post.

Reaction Score
I had you pegged. Funny how you were writing this as I was writing my post.

Yup, you sure did. I saw your post pop up right before I posted and I thought about erasing mine and just saying "what he said". Thanks for your usual thoughtful and considerate reading.

Reaction Score
Even though criminality is not always intelligence based, people who have known Tate report he is not very bright. I'm certain it contributed to his evolving problems. He ran or wanted to run in a fast crowd and things spun out of control. It's not an excuse but it can happen. I'm betting it wasn't a grand scheme from the beginning. He needs to serve more time.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
There are some awful stuff that not even a UConn uniform can make right or acceptable.

If we had Hall of Shame, Tate would be the first bust. However probably not the only one or the last one.
Mmm. maybe not even the first, since it happened long after his playing career.

I think Selles point is valid. Tate's shot is a great moment in college basketball and an especially great one for UConn fans. Anything Tate did or failed to do afterward doesn't change that.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

He's despicable. Not imperfect; he's a piece of garbage who defrauded many, many people. Just because Bernie Madoff didn't hit any big shots for us doesn't make him any different. I thank Tate for his play but he's a disgrace to UConn.

Reaction Score
I gave both you and selles a like. I felt both points were elegantly stated.

I'm impressed with you because quite a few people are unable to distinguish between valid effort that can fail vs. effort intended to deceive. I'm sure a lot of other investors involved with your banker held her personally accountable for the failure and were unable to forgive her actions.

I could be reading into things but I think selles agrees with you about the Ponzi Scheme. He didn't chose to condemn the act before chosing to express a generalized observation of humanity. I get the impression it was an oversight as opposed to a validation of the act. He went right into the "casting of stones" noble philosophy which I feel isn't expressed enough.

I think many of us understand that there is a difference between condemning an action by a person as opposed to condemning the person. On the other hand, there are people who think defending an individual is validating a negative action. I didn't get the impression this was what you were doing in your post. I'm taking the two posts and continuing the discussion.

As one who was taken in by a Ponzi scheme back in the 80's, I can feel for all the investors who lost money under Tate. Losing money hurts a lot. It hurts a lot more when you come to realize (I was very naive and trusting) that there are people who have no qualms about hurting others.

I think all of us get hurt a lot. I know I did. But from all of those negative experiences we have the opportunity to go in several directions - become bitter and hurt others, become bitter and withdraw from humanity, or become an advocate for humanity. I felt very strongly that both you and selles were being advocates and just expressing different aspects on this issue.

Thanks. It helped that me and my parents and siblings developed a working relationship with her over the years and we were one of her first clients when she first started out. She always made it known how greatful she was and she did recommend us to very profitable ventures over the years. But even with that the loss itself was still devastating and you go on for months feeling like you're brain is a balloon wanting to explode with all the things that go through your head. First it's the loss of the amount itself but later it's what you can no longer pass on. So if I had to deal with the fact that a person used that money the way Tate did, I can only imagine the blind rage those investors felt. He stole more than money, he stole people's years of honest work. He stole people's hopes and goals for the future. That's what went through my head that compeled me to respond.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Thanks. It helped that me and my parents and siblings developed a working relationship with her over the years and we were one of her first clients when she first started out. She always made it known how greatful she was and she did recommend us to very profitable ventures over the years. But even with that the loss itself was still devastating and you go on for months feeling like you're brain is a balloon wanting to explode with all the things that go through your head. First it's the loss of the amount itself but later it's what you can no longer pass on. So if I had to deal with the fact that a person used that money the way Tate did, I can only imagine the blind rage those investors felt. He stole more than money, he stole people's years of honest work. He stole people's hopes and goals for the future. That's what went through my head that compeled me to respond.
I was glad you did respond. It's important for you and for many of us as well.

You identified with Tate's victims. You remembered what went through your mind after your investment loss, and even though the situation causing the loss was different, the result is the same, allowing you to feel what Tate's victims are going through. In your case there was a loss of money. In Tate's case the loss was money and trust. Many of Tate's victims will no longer trust anyone. And that is, imo, is just as sad as the loss of money. Some of them may become cynical and bitter. I absolutely understand the loss of money and the difficulties in life when there is no money. I don't want to down play this. I've been through that rabbit hole personally. However when we start to distrust and hate our fellow beings I believe the impact is also very destructive to our personal well being as well as the well being of society.

Tate's transgression is an obvious example of right and wrong. In your case the banker did not set out to defraud you (although I would guess during the initial shock you questioned this) and that knowledge could lesson the wound caused by the loss of money.

I don't think we're different. When I hear people being victimized I get that reflexive welling of emotion that took place during my own personal experience. It's humanly normal and healthy to acknowledge these emotions. What is important is how we express them. I try my best (not always successful) to express them when no one is around. I yell and scream, and even on occasion punch something like a pillow. I picture all sorts of things that make me feel better. I used to be ashamed at some of the things I would picture and say, but no longer. It's called release. I'm removing the negative feelings from my system. Sometimes it's only for a short period of time. Sometimes it's a permanent release. The important thing is for us to try to avoid releasing these negative feelings on others. We should learn not to take these emotions out on our family or friends or colleagues or even the likes of members in a loose fraternal organization such as The Boneyard.

Over time I hope you can get past your pain, if you haven't done so already. That is first and foremost. And if you can take the leap and "feel" the pain that takes place in any situation in which there is a victim, and not in just this particular instance, you can be an advocate for humanity. And if you can learn to show compassion for even the victimizer, even as there is a necessity to stop the victimizer, you will align your spirt to a higher level.

Reaction Score
My feeling is that people that get taken in by a Ponzi scheme are taken in by greed. When all your senses tell you it is almost impossible to be making enormous return on your money, especially one you cannot get anywhere else, you are either stupid or greedy or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom