Task For The New Ad | The Boneyard

Task For The New Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn has become the poster child for basketball factories that have no regard for academics. Don't waste your time denying the accuracy of such a label (I think it's bogus), percepetion has become reality. It's everywhere. I am not convinced that JC is ready to deal with the situation. This team is ready to explode on the scene, but after every great game or winning streak there will be that but...what about your graduation rate? Why are you the only...yadda,yadda..?

The situation calls for education and enlightening, not a "not one dime"-style meltdown. JC should use every opportuinity to turn the question around. Kids do their own work at UConn, etc. Is JC getting some handling, some counceling on how to approach this? Or is he going to handle this stuff "his way." Now that we have his hand-picked AD on the job, will ADPP be able to approach JC about this?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I agree with this advice strongly.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i say let JC continue his tough guy thing and make KO seem like the guy for the other stuff. tell jc to tone the outlashes down but still be himself and worry about the hardwood. let KO be the one to adress grades and everything classroom wise. make him the media guy for that stuff. this way in a couple years when its JC/DB's time to retire together that its just painfully obvi that KO is the guy not just from a bball standpoint(x/o's, nba connection etc) but also from a student first aspect. when KO gets the job its a smooth transition and there will be no quaetions of classroom stuff. this apr stuff will be gone in 2 years from our shoulders, perfect time to really throw KO in the fire and let him look like the one who kept us floating and ready for the next step.

Reaction Score
It would be good if JC had a presser explaining how we are improving a situation that none of the players last year or this year were a part of ie; the transfers, leaving early etc. It's just that he's not a shmoozy, media friendly guy, unless it's after a big win. Maybe that's partly why we have 3 rings and others don't.

Reaction Score
Can't help yourself, can you? You had to ruin an otherwise reasonable post. I would add that, despite your hatred of all things Herbst and Pendergast (who I agree should not be the permanent AD), the APR situation appears to be righting itself under their watch.

Reaction Score
No need to explain himself and approach this any differently than he would have in the past, just my opinion. Actions will speak louder than words, and nothing will be better in the next few years than real positive changes in UConn's APR.

I would rather have Calhoun with his mind on basketball than waste his time with counseling (I think it's a bit late for him to be changing his habits) on how to handle media questions. Keep winning, do well academically, and watch the rest of the world shut up. Nothing would be more beautiful.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Can't help yourself, can you? You had to ruin an otherwise reasonable post. I would add that, despite your hatred of all things Herbst and Pendergast (who I agree should not be the permanent AD), the APR situation appears to be righting itself under their watch.
I chose to ignore the last line because the rest of his post was well thought out. But I'm glad you took it to task.

Reaction Score
No need to explain himself and approach this any differently than he would have in the past, just my opinion. Actions will speak louder than words, and nothing will be better in the next few years than real positive changes in UConn's APR.

I would rather have Calhoun with his mind on basketball than waste his time with counseling (I think it's a bit late for him to be changing his habits) on how to handle media questions. Keep winning, do well academically, and watch the rest of the world shut up. Nothing would be more beautiful.

I agree that actions speak louder than words. However, in this situation where we're being punished for things that happened 2 or 3 years ago I think it's a tight spot. I think that President Herbst has been doing an excellent job on the PR front, touting her involvement, showing the proactive steps the school has taken, and pointing out that they've already made significant improvements. I agree that Calhoun should focus on basketball and not explaining things to the press. Just let the new plan run its course, and let the Prez do the talking on this one. The only Jimmy needs to do is focus on the court and not have any press conference meltdowns.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Being unimpressed (to date) with someone is not even in the same ballpark as hatred. But my last question is valid whether or not you find it ruinous. The old AD would never think to approach JC and say "Jim, we gotta have a strategy to handle this APR stuff. There was just an article on the front page of USA Today sports with your picture saying UConn had the worst grad rate of any big school. Clowns like Len Elmore are saying things to anyone who will listen that championships don't excuse academics. Let's get out in front. Let's remind people that you always insisted that there is more to life then hoop. That's why you always worked trips to museums and theater into away games. Let's say that only two teams have ever won the national championship with an All-American leading the team graduating a year early. Both UConn."

Do you think the new AD can go to him and say these things? And better yet, have him agree.

Reaction Score
I do not disagree. I would note that we did not win the NC last year by cutting corners or taking advantage of the system. An argument can be made that we have already begone to right the ship and the first real class of players to buy in 100% is the group that came in last year. If our APR this year will be in the high 900s all we can ask for is that moving forward -that level in maintained. We have made the effort to set a higher standard and actions speak loader then words.

Last year proved you do not have to bend the rules for UCONN to be a very good program. I really wish this continuing stream of bad news would just stop already. It hurts us as we try and find a new home and with getting kids to chose us over other good schools. I am ready for a few "dramaless" years- but with JC leaving in the next 4-5 years, the APR and where we will wind up looming- we will have no peace for quite some time.

We need a healthy dose of WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!! It makes me feel better anyway.

Reaction Score
Being unimpressed (to date) with someone is not even in the same ballpark as hatred. But my last question is valid whether or not you find it ruinous. The old AD would never think to approach JC and say "Jim, we gotta have a strategy to handle this APR stuff. There was just an article on the front page of USA Today sports with your picture saying UConn had the worst grad rate of any big school. Clowns like Len Elmore are saying things to anyone who will listen that championships don't excuse academics. Let's get out in front. Let's remind people that you always insisted that there is more to life then hoop. That's why you always worked trips to museums and theater into away games. Let's say that only two teams have ever won the national championship with an All-American leading the team graduating a year early. Both UConn."

Do you think the new AD can go to him and say these things? And better yet, have him agree.

Short answer is that I agree with the substance of your post. The AD should be front and center on educating the naysayers on the truth and marketing the program as you describe. I have no idea if they can get JC on board with their approach. I'd guess that he may tell them he's on board, but how he reacts to a question in a press conference is another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom