Tarin Smith Ready for Leadership Role in 2018-19 | The Boneyard

Tarin Smith Ready for Leadership Role in 2018-19

Reaction Score
Link

"When Tarin decided to transfer, we thought he would be a key guy for us to get here – a guy who could change the work ethic, change the mindset," Dan Hurley said. "We wanted to be smart about the kind of players we brought in to what was a fragile program. Tarin is a smart, experienced player who knows how to work hard. He will definitely help us."

Reaction Score
Like this kid, hard working brought up the right way from HS on. Coming in here knowing he would be sharing time with 3 good guards and a freshman tells you a little about both his confidence in his game as well as what he wants his last year, what's important to him. HIs ability on both ends as well as Al's health will put a dent in CV's minutes I am hoping he adjusts it's still so important for the team.

There will be plenty of minutes when you think this kid averaged 3.3 rebounds as a 6th man and CV almost 6 as a starter, 3 guard sets will more than likely be abundant. Thinking that was Hurley's thinking early on when getting Tarin to join the squad.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
""We're definitely going to surprise people," he said. "That's the mission and goal of everyone in that locker room. That's why we work so hard every day.":)

Reaction Score
""We're definitely going to surprise people," he said. "That's the mission and goal of everyone in that locker room. That's why we work so hard every day.":)

Liked that too. Mostly because it's from an outside source who knows what a good team should look like. We've heard that from our own players coming in to the last 2 seasons but of course that's what they're going to say right?

I'm getting pumped up about UConn hoops again (I have to baseball and the Giants are done lol).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Liked that too. Mostly because it's from an outside source who knows what a good team should look like. We've heard that from our own players coming in to the last 2 seasons but of course that's what they're going to say right?

I'm getting pumped up about UConn hoops again (I have to baseball and the Giants are done lol).
I am working on tempering my expectations but boy we've heard a lot of the right noises, haven't we?

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This kid doesn't get much talk on here, but he could turn out to be one of the best things Hurley did this off season. Vet leadership at that position is critical, and we know what he brings to the table.

Reaction Score
This kid doesn't get much talk on here, but he could turn out to be one of the best things Hurley did this off season. Vet leadership at that position is critical, and we know what he brings to the table.

Shouldn't Jalen Adams be providing that vet leadership at PG?

I would feel great about kid if he was at 80/38 instead of career best 65/33 for shooting (FT/3pt) percents.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Shouldn't Jalen Adams be providing that vet leadership at PG?

Yeah, but he's got a lot on his plate. He's the man on this team. And he's basically packing a few years development into one year on top. He's only learning how to be a leader now (mostly not his fault imo - KO), with his personality not being naturally conducive to that role. It's good for him to not have to carry the load on everything.

In fact, having a guy like Tarin might benefit Jalen more than anybody.

I would feel great about kid if he was at 80/38 instead of career best 65/33 for shooting (FT/3pt) percents.

True. However, if he was brought on to be THE guy, then I agree. As a role piece, that's ok.

Reaction Score
There will be plenty of minutes when you think this kid averaged 3.3 rebounds as a 6th man and CV almost 6 as a starter, 3 guard sets will more than likely be abundant. Thinking that was Hurley's thinking early on when getting Tarin to join the squad.
Totally agree with that. Add on the fact that Diarra will be missing on the squad, look at the backcourt vs. frontcourt depth:

Backcourt: J. Adams, Gilbert, Vital, T. Smith, B. Adams
Frontcourt: Carlton, Polley, Wilson, Cobb, Yawke, Williams, (Diarra)

IMO, there's so much more talent in the backcourt than frontcourt and therefore more opportunities for 3-guard sets.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with that. Add on the fact that Diarra will be missing on the squad, look at the backcourt vs. frontcourt depth:

Backcourt: J. Adams, Gilbert, Vital, T. Smith, B. Adams
Frontcourt: Carlton, Polley, Wilson, Cobb, Yawke, Williams, (Diarra)

IMO, there's so much more talent in the backcourt than frontcourt and therefore more opportunities for 3-guard sets.

Whaley

Reaction Score
Correct, but that's even more mediocrity in the front court. Much more upside in the backcourt.

I don’t disagree on the backcourt being the strength as we look at it today. But the good news some kids make big strides in maturity and their game freshman to sophomore years. We have a few with some potential so with a better staff we can hope there will be more impact from the 3-5 spots.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Correct, but that's even more mediocrity in the front court. Much more upside in the backcourt.

Certainly there is more talent in the back-court, because the best two players on the team (by a lot) are in the back court. It is entirely possible however that the next best two players are Carlton and Wilson. And Wilson can really only play the 3. Ultimately, I hope and expect that minutes are down across the board and defensive intensity is up.

Reaction Score
I remember folks really ragging on this guy when he committed. Sure he was a 6th man in the A-10, but look at how much he improved from his RS Sophomore to RS Junior year. Went from 38/65/21% to 41/65/33. Yeah he's not lights-out by any means but that shows a healthy work ethic and desire to get better. I think he improves even more for this year... In fact I'll bet he starts through November

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom