Targeting | The Boneyard

Targeting

Reaction Score
The NCAA has to get this rule fixed. It’s destroying the game. It’s entirely subjective, it takes key players off the field causing competitive imbalances, it is outside of the control of players in many instances,

Reaction Score
On the receivers yes, but on qb's it's not real difficult. You can't hit a guy straight up you have to tackle at the midsection or legs. You're asking for trouble if you do not. A lot of the rules originated to protect qbs. I was really surprised when they did not call that hit on the qb targeting on the flag/beanbag. It's like crack, just don't do it.

Reaction Score
On the second targeting I thought he was looking at ball. That brought his head down but it wasn't leading the "crown."

Reaction Score
Bad call on Fortt. Legit call on Harris though. I'm surprised Riddler got back up. Dillon Harris has been a non-factor all season. Then he gets a highlight of the year free shot to blow up the QB and they called that penalty. What a downer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Harris should have been ripping the ball out with his hands as he went for the tackle. The call on Fortt was atrocious. As for ruining the game watching the NFL the way pass interference is interpreted and called not called is ruining the game along with the replay system essentially being neutered to correcting mistakes. They have a hot mess on their hands and will pay the price again just like last year.

Reaction Score
I heard Edsall in the post game press conference talking about teaching guys to go nose to nose or something of the like. That was a puzzling comment as you cannot bang face masks with a qb anymore in any league. You have got to go lower. He must not watch a lot of other football as it's out there every week on display. They are going to get you every time on a qb with head to head contact.

Reaction Score
I assume most of the last 50 or so of us on the BY who continue to care about UConn FB, played football somewhere in college or through high school. I get the need to protect from concussions. Fine. I don’t think incidental head contact should be a penalty when it comes from the target ducking, dipping, falling or taking and other evasive action that cannot be controlled by the tackler. The classic case is every damn RB “lowers” for contact usually head first. That’s by definition leading with the crown of the helmet. Totally ignored. Defensive tackler is disadvantaged.
By the way, the second hit was perfectly legal unless the new rule is no tackling QBs above the waist. The bulk of that hit occurred chest to chest with helmets meeting incidentally.

Reaction Score
I assume most of the last 50 or so of us on the BY who continue to care about UConn FB, played football somewhere in college or through high school. I get the need to protect from concussions. Fine. I don’t think incidental head contact should be a penalty when it comes from the target ducking, dipping, falling or taking and other evasive action that cannot be controlled by the tackler. The classic case is every damn RB “lowers” for contact usually head first. That’s by definition leading with the crown of the helmet. Totally ignored. Defensive tackler is disadvantaged.
By the way, the second hit was perfectly legal unless the new rule is no tackling QBs above the waist. The bulk of that hit occurred chest to chest with helmets meeting incidentally.
I agree. Harris' hit was a hard hit, not illegal IMO. His head was. up chest too chest. How else are you supposed to tackle someone? He delivered a blow to dislodge the football. Let them play.

Reaction Score
Bad call on Fortt. Legit call on Harris though. I'm surprised Riddler got back up. Dillon Harris has been a non-factor all season. Then he gets a highlight of the year free shot to blow up the QB and they called that penalty. What a downer.

Agreed. Harris has been one of the biggest disappointments relative to expectations for me. Non factor is the perfect way to say it.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Well done. both you and @AAC Guru - get the call wrong AND bash a kid. Why don't you show up at Fishy's house, to make it a trifecta?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Harris play looked worse the QB was also getting hit from the backside which caused unnatural looking movements in the head and neck. It was possibly a little “crown of the helmet”ish but he got him square in the chest. QB had both feet on the ground in a pre-throw stance but was just completely caught off guard. I have a hard time believing the young man deserved to be tossed. At least it was the first half.

Reaction Score
Well done. both you and @AAC Guru - get the call wrong AND bash a kid. Why don't you show up at Fishy's house, to make it a trifecta?

If that's considered bashing, then you better go hide from all the fan opinions about Jack Zergiotis. Some here who follow recruiting claimed that Harris was the best recruit of the class. They stated he was highly sought after and was the best LB in JC. Expectations were high for him. Ten games in and he hasn't done much. To be fair the same comment could be applied to 80% of the roster. But the fan hype for Harris didn't translate to reality once he was on the field.

Reaction Score
Some here who follow recruiting claimed that Harris was the best recruit of the class. They stated he was highly sought after and was the best LB in JC. Expectations were high for him. Ten games in and he hasn't done much. To be fair the same comment could be applied to 80% of the roster. But the fan hype for Harris didn't translate to reality once he was on the field.

It was actually 247 that had him as the #1 JUCO OLB
008.jpg

Reaction Score
Dillon is a LB Defence staff has him playing a DE position so he not at his Natural position kid has played hard made plays

Reaction Score
Dillon is a LB Defence staff has him playing a DE position so he not at his Natural position kid has played hard made plays

Agreed but he’s much too slow for LB. did he loose speed bulking up to play on the defensive line? Idk

Reaction Score
Agreed but he’s much too slow for LB. did he loose speed bulking up to play on the defensive line? Idk
I think he has played great so far, that being said, it is his first year at UConn. At ILB I think he has been very good so far and when the blitz is on he's usually the first or second guy to get his hands on the QB.

Reaction Score
I think he has played great so far, that being said, it is his first year at UConn. At ILB I think he has been very good so far and when the blitz is on he's usually the first or second guy to get his hands on the QB.

I’ll have to rewatch the film.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom