Tara Gives Props to Geno for Coaching Staff Composition, Actions | The Boneyard

Tara Gives Props to Geno for Coaching Staff Composition, Actions

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The Athletic posted a wide-ranging interview with Stanford Coach Tara VanDerveer. A number of questions and answers caught my attention, particularly the ones regarding coaching: composition and size of staffs and getting former players into the mix, among them.

Geno is mentiond in one of these, whch is why I posted this thread here, rather than on the general board (moderators, feel free to move if I guessed incorrectly).
In any case, since The Athletic is a paid publication, I won't just drop a link to the whole article. I'll cut and paste those subjects I was referring to.

Here's the one on composition.

Question: We’ve seen a lot of women join the coaching staffs of NBA teams in recent years. It’s been 30 years since Rick Pitino hired Bernadette Mattox at Kentucky, and there’s only one woman on the staff of a men’s basketball team, and that’s Edniesha Curry at Maine. How long do you think it will be before that starts to change?

Tara VanDerveer Answer: "I think in some ways, that’s a good thing and a bad thing. In some ways, we’re taking some of the very top women — like Becky Hammon, who has had a front-row (seat) in the NBA — we’re taking a great future potential women’s coach and they’re in the men’s game, which already has a lot of coaches.

"It’s a little bit of a double-edged sword, in my perception. It is great for even the young guys that they’re coaching to have a woman on their staff and to see women in these roles. There’s no doubt that there are great women coaches and that they can do the job. It’s just a matter of opportunity.

"I think Rick Pitino was smart. When you look at a lot of the recruitable athletes, they’re raised in single-family homes and raised by women. Most of their teachers are women. I think an ideal staff is a mixed staff of men and women in the same way that a community or a board room (are). I think to be able to value both male and female ideas and the way they work and values and everything like that.

"Having said that, so many places in the women’s game are taken up by men. We’re only a quarter, really, of the (college basketball coaching) jobs. Men have (all of the men’s) jobs and half the women’s jobs, so we have to really pump up that pipeline of great female future coaches, and I think that’s on all of us — including male coaches.

"I give props to Geno (Auriemma), who has a great female staff and encourages them and helps them get jobs and is developing coaches. It’s not just women coaches that can do it. Male coaches can do that, too. … (But to your point), I think a men’s coach would be smart to have that person on their staff."

Dillon druthers: The comment on (a lot of) recruitable athletes benefitting from mixed coaching staffs is interesting and I tried to have that on the coaching staffs (not always possible due to availability).

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Tara on Getting Former Players Involved in Coaching.

Question: You have an extensive coaching tree, and some of your former players, like Arizona State’s Charli Turner Thorne, have become head coaches. Muffet McGraw has been vocal in urging the NCAA to allow more opportunities for former players to get into coaching. How do you think those opportunities can be fostered?

Tara Answer: "Well, through the Women’s Sports Foundation, they have a legacy fund in my name for mentoring. I think this is, to me, the start of the pipeline. Now, selfishly, I wish it was all in basketball, but it’s in all sports. I think they’re just trying to use that to help try to get more resources to the fund.

"But I mean, we (Stanford), for 20 years — over 20 years — have had interns who have gone on to be (coaches). Heather Oesterle is the head coach at Central Michigan. She was an intern here (in 2002-03). She was one of our first interns.

"Even if they don’t get the internship from the Women’s Sports Foundation, which I encourage coaches (to pursue), someone like Dawn Staley would be a great mentor. Someone like Muffet would be a great mentor. Have interns working with your program, and then they can get in kind of at the bottom on someone’s staff as a video coordinator or an assistant (director of basketball operations) and they can move into the coaching ranks that way."

Dillon add-on's on ND:
- Muffet McGraw looks for opportunities for her former players: Natalie Achonwa took over operations for a season while she was rehabbing her knee; and, Kayla McBride's work this season advising players also comes to mind.
- When she graduated, Michaela Mabrey initiallly had an "extended staff" position with Katie Meier, at the University of Miami, which led to her entering the coaching world. Now she's back at her alma mater.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32
Top Bottom