Ta'Quan Roberson Wearing Jazz's #6 On Signing Day... How do we feel about this? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ta'Quan Roberson Wearing Jazz's #6 On Signing Day... How do we feel about this?

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Rewarding #6 to a high profile recruit at the QB position is great. If the HC & QB were not aware of the tradition it was a beautiful mistake.

One it showed that, all these years later, the hardcore fan still cares about Jazz's legacy. Two, Ta'Quan will have the opportunity learn & honor Jazz's legacy.

It is not like it was handed out to the walk-on, back-up long-snapper minutes before the home opener. No offense meant or implied to walk-ons, back-ups or long-snappers. I was not even able to qualify for those lofty positions.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I really liked what Edsall was planning for #6, when he wanted an upper classman leader to wear it who best exemplified Howard's attitude toward the game and school. That pretty much ended after Edsall abandoned ship and Kashif Moore graduated.

I was a little put off when Jhavon Williams wore it as a freshman, but he turned out to be a pretty decent player and didn't sully Howard's memory. For me, it's really no big deal at this point. Particularly with the monument under the scoreboard.

Personally, I like what Temple did under Matt Rhule, in assigning single digit uniforms numbers to upperclassmen leaders. If they want to do that and reserve #6 for the defensive backfield, I'd be all for it.

Plus it's something that I've adopted in my copy of NCAA Football '14 for the 2x defending National Champions, UConn Huskies. There's something about defensive linemen in single digits.

Reaction Score
I was a little put off when Jhavon Williams wore it as a freshman, but he turned out to be a pretty decent player and didn't sully Howard's memory.

“Williams was still 21 months away from committing to UConn when Howard was stabbed to death during an altercation on the UConn campus. By the time Williams arrived on campus, he was so moved by the stories of Howard’s legacy that he requested and was granted uniform No. 6. He became the first defensive player to wear the number since Howard’s death.

Make no mistake, Williams knew the added responsibility that went into wearing that number. “Since Day 1 when I stepped on this campus, I have been honored to wear that number knowing all eyes are going to be on me,” Williams said, “I have to work harder than I have ever worked before, on the field and off the field. It is a blessing to wear that number knowing that somebody like Jasper Howard and only a few number of players get to wear that No. 6.

“I have so much respect for Jasper Howard, what he went through and his family, I have to be close to perfect wearing that number. Every day I wake up, everything I do, going to class on time, it makes me have a different approach about a lot of things.””

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
I’ve never been a big fan of retiring a number except in special cases e.g. Jackie Robinson, etc. Maybe #6 is a special case. I am in favor of a wall of honor approach, using a jersey, number, and name.

For those of you concerned about running out of numbers, we can switch to the Greek Alphabet, which is a college thing anyway. Then you get holding on Delta Epsilon, etc. It would be a good history lesson for the young kids.
Who wants to be Delta or Omicron? I think we should stick to Arabic numerals, at least for a while.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

“Williams was still 21 months away from committing to UConn when Howard was stabbed to death during an altercation on the UConn campus. By the time Williams arrived on campus, he was so moved by the stories of Howard’s legacy that he requested and was granted uniform No. 6. He became the first defensive player to wear the number since Howard’s death.

Make no mistake, Williams knew the added responsibility that went into wearing that number. “Since Day 1 when I stepped on this campus, I have been honored to wear that number knowing all eyes are going to be on me,” Williams said, “I have to work harder than I have ever worked before, on the field and off the field. It is a blessing to wear that number knowing that somebody like Jasper Howard and only a few number of players get to wear that No. 6.

“I have so much respect for Jasper Howard, what he went through and his family, I have to be close to perfect wearing that number. Every day I wake up, everything I do, going to class on time, it makes me have a different approach about a lot of things.””
I was not aware of that story.

Thanks, Medic.

Reaction Score
It’s a number. I don’t think anyone at UConn who was there will ever forget it. But, it really is just a number.

Over 10 years ago is crazy.

Reaction Score
I choose to see it as Ty'Quan thinking of getting 6 every time he touches the ball!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom