Tampa Exhibition | The Boneyard

Tampa Exhibition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

I guess the bottomline is I don't know who that guy is who will take the big shots -a guy every great team needs. That guy may be on this team or he may not.
- Adams was very impressive - Ollie liked the fact he can really advance the ball very quickly. Adams has good passing talent but needs to tighten that up and clean up the normal freshman stuff. I think he can become a special guy -he has the mechanics for his shot to improve - just needs to put in the work to be a top option.
- Miller has a pretty explosive vertical and I love the way he used the blackboard on various bankshots , a loss art. He plays physical which I like. At this level he needs to leave debating with the refs to the coach.
- I think 3 of our 4 top rebounders will be Miller, Hamilton and Adams.
- Brimah - I really don't see much of a change. Was though more selective on fouls. Ollie has said he wants his fouls on shot block attempts and not the other foolish stuff -.at least one foul was on a shot block - he still spends too much time falling to the floor - but of course can be a rare difference maker on D.
- Gibbs is solid - knows how to play - doesn't wow you with the spectacular but is consistent and can knock down some shots.
- if I had to pick this year's Drummond or today's team in a foul shooting contest it would be a coin flip , needless to say lots of work needed here. Maybe guys were nervous but too many were short arming their free throws.
- Omar Calhoun looked really good - his shot looked good and his body. He ran and jumped well.
- Sam JR may have a role as a spot up shooter but his foot speed on defense is going to limit his minutes against better opponents.
-Nolan looked in great shape - how did that impact his play? I can't say?
- Facey - is an enigma to me. I think he can rebound, shoot and defend but I can't really say he looked like he got stronger. Will he want it enough?
- Purvis looked like two difference players the 1st vs 2nd half in which he looked much better.
More comments later - thought this would get things started!

Reaction Score
I guess the bottomline is I don't know who that guy is who will take the big shots -a guy every great team needs. That guy may be on this team or he may not.

What a bizarre way to open a topic about observations from an exhibition game.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I actually think @Chief00 has boiled it down to the bottom line perfectly, while we're waiting for roles to define themselves we still don't have the alpha. That was a problem in '12 in Kemba's void. Boat was clear successor to bazz. But someone has to take charge here and we don't know who that is, but it's critical to our success. I don't think @tcf15 s whose got next line was by accident, he's asking too.

The bizarre part was starting a 2nd observation post to "get things started" :)

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Well, he did go to Cornell, an Ivy, you know!

Chief, I thought you didn't like those guys who only care about academics and don't care about basketball.

Reaction Score
If the "big shot" is from the perimeter, then it's Gibbs, with Rodney second choice. If we're looking to get it from 15 feet in then it's Miller, who can get it done many ways. But Gibbs is the closest to Bazz or Kemba with the ball in the last few seconds because he can spot up or take it off the floor. This may take awhile to play out but that's the way I think it will end up. DHam may be our most talented player and even so I don't see him with that shot.

Reaction Score
What did Brimah do all summer? He doesn't look any better than last year. He's not thicker(figured he would have put on some weight so he isn't pushed out of position so easy) and still can't carve out space in the paint to be a dominant rebounder like Adrien and Okafor were.

Reaction Score
What did Brimah do all summer? He doesn't look any better than last year. He's not thicker(figured he would have put on some weight so he isn't pushed out of position so easy) and still can't carve out space in the paint to be a dominant rebounder like Adrien and Okafor were.

This is why I question peoples' sanity when they say Brimah will leave after this year. 0% chance of that happening. I'm not sure he'll ever be an NBA talent, to be honest. Too soft and not enough rebounding ability.

Reaction Score
AB's injury the summer before last was the reason he didn't get bigger and stronger.

Reaction Score
This is why I question peoples' sanity when they say Brimah will leave after this year. 0% chance of that happening. I'm not sure he'll ever be an NBA talent, to be honest. Too soft and not enough rebounding ability.

Brimah's shot-blocking is unquestionably elite, and his presence as a lockdown rim protector is going to be hugely valuable for us this season. He's also extremely efficient on offense when playing within his arsenal.

But I agree about him being a 4-year player. He hasn't quite developed physically like most of us would've hoped. The NBA is a man's game, and Brimah would get eaten alive in the league right now. He's going to be one of our most valuable players this year, but he's still got a lot of development to do - both to his game and body - to be ready to hang in the NBA.

Reaction Score
AB's injury the summer before last was the reason he didn't get bigger and stronger.

That's valid, but what's the excuse if it turns out that he's no stronger this year?

Reaction Score
That's valid, but what's the excuse if it turns out that he's no stronger this year?
tumblr_mgwhadrDzp1qzlxs9o1_250.gif

Reaction Score
Brimah's shot-blocking is unquestionably elite, and his presence as a lockdown rim protector is going to be hugely valuable for us this season. He's also extremely efficient on offense when playing within his arsenal.

But I agree about him being a 4-year player. He hasn't quite developed physically like most of us would've hoped. The NBA is a man's game, and Brimah would get eaten alive in the league right now. He's going to be one of our most valuable players this year, but he's still got a lot of development to do - both to his game and body - to be ready to hang in the NBA.

Nailed it. He's going to get eaten alive going against Diamond Stone in December.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Nailed it. He's going to get eaten alive going against Diamond Stone in December.
before that happens I think KO will have Miller take Stone behind the shed and school him

Reaction Score
So if Brimah dramatically improves this could be his last year.

If he simply 'just' gets better this year we most likely see him for 2 years.

What exactly is bad about either scenario?

Being that he's surrounded by studs this year, I'm okay with the second scenario.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this was brought up already. I think we shot 9 for 20 from 3. That's not embarrassing. Better shooting and team speed. I like the sound of that.

C

Chief00

Chief, I thought you didn't like those guys who only care about academics and don't care about basketball.

Yes, that's pretty correct. I like his physical play - but yeah trying to hold a logical debate with the refs is not the player's role. Stick to playing. But, don't misunderstand I was impressed with Miller.

C

Chief00

I actually think @Chief00 has boiled it down to the bottom line perfectly, while we're waiting for roles to define themselves we still don't have the alpha. That was a problem in '12 in Kemba's void. Boat was clear successor to bazz. But someone has to take charge here and we don't know who that is, but it's critical to our success. I don't think @tcf15 s whose got next line was by accident, he's asking too.

The bizarre part was starting a 2nd observation post to "get things started" :)

Our goal is to win Championships so our bottomline is different than many teams. When Chief00 analyzes the team it's through that prism. We won 20 games last season and our coach said we had a disappointing year and that's the way it should be. BC and PC are looking for fans just like you - I think you may be more comfortable following those schools.

C

Chief00

Ok - I see I need to clean up this Brimah thing. My sources tell me he works hard although I agree I don't see that tangible physical result. My own opinion is his body type is such I don't ever see him controlling position in the post. Even for a 7 footer his legs are a disproportionate large portion of his height. He doesn't have the usual body core to set up shop in the post. He has a torso of a guy 6-4.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Our goal is to win Championships so our bottomline is different than many teams. When Chief00 analyzes the team it's through that prism. We won 20 games last season and our coach said we had a disappointing year and that's the way it should be. BC and PC are looking for fans just like you - I think you may be more comfortable following those schools.

First exhibition game, and chief is already talking to himself in the third person. It's going to be a good year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom