Talking UConn with Dick Vitale | The Boneyard

Talking UConn with Dick Vitale

Reaction Score
Hi all,

Got lucky and snagged about 10 minutes with Dickie V for The Connecticut Scoreboard Podcast. Gives his thoughts on UConn back to the Big East, the success Hurley will have, Calhoun still coaching and breaks down the Big East. Fun and quick listen! Be sure to give a follow on Twitter if you're not following the pod already @CTScoreboardPod -- a lot of great CBB content coming this season.

Reaction Score
Hi all,

Got lucky and snagged about 10 minutes with Dickie V for The Connecticut Scoreboard Podcast. Gives his thoughts on UConn back to the Big East, the success Hurley will have, Calhoun still coaching and breaks down the Big East. Fun and quick listen! Be sure to give a follow on Twitter if you're not following the pod already @CTScoreboardPod -- a lot of great CBB content coming this season.

Good work, Jared. Really enjoying all the interviews you’ve landed. Keep it up.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Sounds like Dickie has the 'Vid n that interview

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Jared - love your stuff
BUT - I could care what this idiot has to say - he's just pandering to the crowd he has at that moment
Thanks again for what you do

Reaction Score
Dick was great in the 90's. His energy was real. Then he got difficult to listen to because he started to prioritize his schtick over the game. Then at some point he stopped doing work and became all schtick. Now he detracts from from the game. He knows less than a lot of big college hoops fans. I can't watch a game he's involved with (if he still is).

The shame is, I know a handful of people that know/knew him. Nobody has a single bad word to say. Supposed to be a great guy. He just should have retired (in my opinion).

Reaction Score
Dick was great in the 90's. His energy was real. Then he got difficult to listen to because he started to prioritize his schtick over the game. Then at some point he stopped doing work and became all schtick. Now he detracts from from the game. He knows less than a lot of big college hoops fans. I can't watch a game he's involved with (if he still is).

The shame is, I know a handful of people that know/knew him. Nobody has a single bad word to say. Supposed to be a great guy. He just should have retired (in my opinion).
You can have an opinion, but honestly noone cares.

Reaction Score

I think you nailed it. sums him up perfectly. I agree he shouldve retired.

Reaction Score
It’s a message board. 97% of the posts are opinion (but you are right that nobody cares about most of them). Thanks for you snark though. You brought a lot to the conversation.
Ignore him, some people are just in a bad mood for no real reason.

I never minded Dickie V as long as he didn't go on some long Duke/UNC tangent during an unrelated game. Otherwise, I enjoyed his energy and unique way of calling games.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
I started muting Dickie V many years ago, and I found that I enjoyed basketball games more without hearing the announcers babble. Now I mute almost all sports, except some football.

Reaction Score
Vitale is a caricature of himself and does not put in the work like his younger colleagues.

Reaction Score

Dick Vitale is synonymous with college basketball. Did his schtick wear off a little bit and become stale? Maybe, but you can still see that he loves the game. Over the last 4-5 years, Vitale has taken on a more limited role at ESPN. He is no longer the #1 analyst as he mainly works SEC games over the course of the season, obviously because he lives in Florida and the traveling is much easier.

The great thing about Vitale is how hes dedicated the latter part of his life to raising money for Cancer research. As you see from the interview, the money he earns for his new book is going to pediatric research. It wouldnt surprise me if one of the reasons Vitale continues to work as a broadcaster is because it gives him the platform to help his foundation as he still has his gala every year to help raise money to fight the disease.

Reaction Score
Unbelievable. Someone busting his ass to make his podcast work gets a national name like Dickie V. to come on and talk UConn basketball, shares it with you and some of you are so damn self-centered your only responses are snark and taking shots at Vitale.

Love him or hate him, Vitale is a basketball Hall of Famer and undeniably one of the biggest ambassadors in the history of the sport.

Jared --Great work here and keep shooting big, it will pay off for you.

Reaction Score
Wait, so if I buy his book. And select Autograph... he will write ANYTHING I want. Oh this is too good to pass up.

Attachments

• dickyv.JPG
    dickyv.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 98

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
I started muting Dickie V many years ago, and I found that I enjoyed basketball games more without hearing the announcers babble. Now I mute almost all sports, except some football.

Wouldn't it be great if there was an option to keep the crowd noise and lose the announcers?

Reaction Score
The guy helped build that ESPN college hoop brand. He has enthusiasm, is not perfect and yes is old. Let him get on our bandwagon, why be shmucks?

Reaction Score
I have only one thing to say to Vitale.

You know Dick, if you had promoted UConn instead of Duke, Calhoun would have taken those recruits and won 10 national championships.

Here's a bonus. The dumbest thing Vitale ever said was that Jay Williams was the best point guard in all basketball. He actually said that. And that was when Jason Kidd was active in the NBA.

Reaction Score
How about this one?

"Kevin Freeman went to the same High School - Paterson Catholic - that Tim Thomas and DeShaun Williams did."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom