Taking my girl to her first UConn game | The Boneyard

Taking my girl to her first UConn game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm doing a quick stint in Vegas. She still lives in Boston. So I'm gonna meet up with her and some UConn friends for a game in Jan or Feb and to take her around campus and do UConn stuff. She went to Keene but never made it down to UConn for even Spring Weekend.

Anyway, I'd prefer a Gampel game because the atmosphere i.e. student section destroys XL's, it's on campus, and I personally have much fonder memories of Gampel. The problem is that all the good games are in XL this year. Only real options for a Gampel game are Memphis and Tulsa.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a game against an old Big East rival Georgetown, and the Cincy game will probably be huge (let alone our history with them). But I just feel closer to Gampel, and always had a better experience there, at least as a student. I want her to have a decent taste of what it's like to go to a good UConn game.

Help me decide

Reaction Score
Already made it a point to only go to Gampel games this year for the same reasons you have noted. I'm closer to Hartford but I love being on campus. Only thing that sucks is I just found out the Nathan Hale is booked for all Gampel home games. Pretty pissed to find that out - I wanted to spend a drunken weekend at Gampel and Teds and walk back to the Nathan Hale.

I'll probably be at Tulsa and I think it'll be the better game of the two. That's my recommendation, anyway.

Reaction Score
Jesus, already? I actually lived in Nathan Hale my junior year so I was half seriously considering getting a room.

What double sucks is my little cousin is in her senior year at UConn now and I would have loved to have gotten sh-tty with her at Teds pre-game and then as you said stumble back to the Inn. Guess I can only get half-sh-tty now.

Aside: isn't UConn planning on building a new and bigger hotel on/near campus some time in the future?

Reaction Score
Jesus, already? I actually lived in Nathan Hale my junior year so I was half seriously considering getting a room.

What double sucks is my little cousin is in her senior year at UConn now and I would have loved to have gotten sh-tty with her at Teds pre-game and then as you said stumble back to the Inn. Guess I can only get half-sh-tty now.

Aside: isn't UConn planning on building a new and bigger hotel on/near campus some time in the future?

Yeah I think the Hale is so filled now with students that visiting teams take up most of the available rooms. I tried to get a room the day after the schedule was released and it was booked

Reaction Score
You're right about Gampel being a better venue, but Georgetown games are holy and they don't come around all that often.

Gampel will still be there next season.

Reaction Score
You're right about Gampel being a better venue, but Georgetown games are holy and they don't come around all that often.

Gampel will still be there next season.
agreed that GP rocks. But a sold out XL is pretty loud and exciting too. Also, brew is sold at the XL, not on campus at the GP.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What about the Houston game at Gampel?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
There has yet to be a UConn Memphis game that hasn't been chippy and heated. They are the closest thing to a rival we've had in the AAC. Even if we run them out of the gym that's a great game to be at. It's the choice.

Reaction Score
Weren't you the same poster asking for advice where to live a few months ago? Don't worry about which game would be better for ur girl, pick the better game.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
There has yet to be a UConn Memphis game that hasn't been chippy and heated. They are the closest thing to a rival we've had in the AAC. Even if we run them out of the gym that's a great game to be at. It's the choice.

Agreed with this. Every Memphis/Temple/Cincy game has been a freaking dog fight and really intense. Doubtful this year is any different

Reaction Score
Weren't you the same poster asking for advice where to live a few months ago? Don't worry about which game would be better for ur girl, pick the better game.
I had already accepted this quick position in Vegas. I was asking for some advice as to where in Vegas would be best for someone like me.

Reaction Score
Other than maybe Cincy, but that is moreso a carry-over from the BE.
Agreed with this. Every Memphis/Temple/Cincy game has been a freaking dog fight and really intense. Doubtful this year is any different
Thanks from both of you guys. Was leaning towards Memphis. Even though they have lost a lot of their players, they always give us a game.

My best friend from UConn is also leaving the country before the Tulsa game and I want to go to a game with him and other friends, so Memphis is 99% what I'm taking
agreed that GP rocks. But a sold out XL is pretty loud and exciting too. Also, brew is sold at the XL, not on campus at the GP.
There's this new thing called Ted's ;)

My little cousin is a senior at UConn now (y'all can thank me for pointing her in that direction) and I'm definitely planning on drinking plenty before the game

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So what's better Gampel or The Civic center? Need thoughts asap.

Reaction Score
So what's better Gampel or The Civic center? Need thoughts asap.
I think most agree Gampel is far better. Especially grads like myself who also have very fond memories of waiting/camping outside in the dead of winter.

Anyone remember, I think it was the Providence game in 08-09 when Hash dropped his triple double? When the team came out to greet us waiting at like 7a.m. with Dunkin? And then DP Dough came by with calzones and just gave them away?

Smoking your smokes, drinking dubra+coke or irish coffee and keeping each other warm? Going on food runs to the Union? Throwing snowballs of opposing fans walking around on the other side of the street? Getting each other excited for what you know is going to be an awesome two hours in a great student section?

Stuff like that never happened in Hartford, obviously. Gampel is so much more UConn to me. Hartford is just a way to make more money with more seats.

Reaction Score
I think most agree Gampel is far better. Especially grads like myself who also have very fond memories of waiting/camping outside in the dead of winter.

Anyone remember, I think it was the Providence game in 08-09 when Hash dropped his triple double? When the team came out to greet us waiting at like 7a.m. with Dunkin? And then DP Dough came by with calzones and just gave them away?

Smoking your smokes, drinking dubra+coke or irish coffee and keeping each other warm? Going on food runs to the Union? Throwing snowballs of opposing fans walking around on the other side of the street? Getting each other excited for what you know is going to be an awesome two hours in a great student section?

Stuff like that never happened in Hartford, obviously. Gampel is so much more UConn to me. Hartford is just a way to make more money with more seats.
Is D.P. Dough still delivered exclusively by pot heads?

Reaction Score
Speaking of D.P. Dough, it needs to expand. College campuses all over the midwest are ripe for the pickin. I think it would go over well in Fargo. Pizza in general is horrible here and I probably need to drive to Minneapolis to get a calzone.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@Rocktheworld Cinci might be in the conversation for competitive games but certainly not in terms of mutual ill will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom