Takeaways from the Temple game | The Boneyard

Takeaways from the Temple game

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, this should be of interest. Apparently, our players are aware of their difficulties. :rolleyes:

Collier working on her shot
Collier led UConn in scoring on Saturday, recording her 10th double-double with 30 points and 12 rebounds. After a bit of a shooting slump, the senior said it was nice to have a game like she did against Temple where shots finally started to fall.
Collier has spent time this season working on her shot in an attempt to make it smoother, saying it just didn’t feel right anymore.
“I felt like there was a hitch in it when I was shooting — like it would go behind my head — so I just tried to get rid of that,” Collier said.
After the game, Collier said her shot felt more like it did during her sophomore season — a year in which she led the Huskies in scoring at 20.4 points per game.

Reaction Score
Well, this should be of interest. Apparently, our players are aware of their difficulties. :rolleyes:

Collier working on her shot
Collier led UConn in scoring on Saturday, recording her 10th double-double with 30 points and 12 rebounds. After a bit of a shooting slump, the senior said it was nice to have a game like she did against Temple where shots finally started to fall.
Collier has spent time this season working on her shot in an attempt to make it smoother, saying it just didn’t feel right anymore.
“I felt like there was a hitch in it when I was shooting — like it would go behind my head — so I just tried to get rid of that,” Collier said.
After the game, Collier said her shot felt more like it did during her sophomore season — a .year in which she led the Huskies in scoring at 20.4 points per game.
Thanks for the info!
I posted a few times about the hitches in Pheesa's shot and the boneyard had a cow! I said, fix it now while we're playing our weak league schedule. The BY pulled every stat known to man out of archives to shoot me down. 60% shooting, da, da, da. This is encouraging news. If Phees can get back to hitting 3's, we've got something for you Baylor and Miss St.
I must take this opportunity (now that I've been thoroughly vindicated- just kidding) to rattle a few cages: yes, she's a 2000 point scorer, yes, she has a great shooting eye, yes, KLS also needs to change her shot. She can no longer shoot like a 5th grader- sorry about the characterization- the little hop, bringing the ball down, and shooting from her chest. The future is now- for UConn this year and also her WNBA future. Without the dribble penetration we need to free up KLS for OPEN shots, she is struggling to shoot in close quarters with her form. If nothing else changes, she has to learn to cock the shot high over her head to get her the space she needs, a la her number-sake Larry Bird.
Credit her for learning that short J she takes off the dribble around the elbow.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info!
I posted a few times about the hitches in Pheesa's shot and the boneyard had a cow! I said, fix it now while we're playing our weak league schedule. The BY pulled every stat known to man out of archives to shoot me down. 60% shooting, da, da, da. This is encouraging news. If Phees can get back to hitting 3's, we've got something for you Baylor and Miss St.
I must take this opportunity (now that I've been thoroughly vindicated- just kidding) to rattle a few cages: yes, she's a 2000 point scorer, yes, she has a great shooting eye, yes, KLS also needs to change her shot. She can no longer shoot like a 5th grader- sorry about the characterization- the little hop, bringing the ball down, and shooting from her chest. The future is now- for UConn this year and also her WNBA future. Without the dribble penetration we need to free up KLS for OPEN shots, she is struggling to shoot in close quarters with her form. If nothing else changes, she has to learn to cock the shot high over her head to get her the space she needs, a la her number-sake Larry Bird.
Credit her for learning that short J she takes off the dribble around the elbow.
I see a mountain of KLS stats and vitriol in your future.

Sigh....where is Oscar Robertson when you need him

Reaction Score
It is your pen, your paper (internet) do as you please.
There is always something to take away from every game--Positive or negative.
Every game I see ONO doing things well she didn't do previously.
I see CW (I don't think she is in a slump) is doing things better on both offense (passing/assists), attacking the basket (again)and defense. What can I say about Megan except she is the MW I cheered as she announced shed go to Uconn. The top 3 needs no words from me.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info!
While I have issues with some of what you said, I agree with many throw STATS around as if they were know all to end all. Many who know the game rely upon what they see, on the court, and in the mechanics of the players. Obviously, Geno doesn't rely on STATS to judge on court performance. However, if a player is scoring 20 points per game I doubt he'd mess with her mechanics.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info!

Katie Lou shoots like a 5th grader. Now I've heard it all. If Katie Lou shoots like a 5th grader, let's start recruiting at elementary schools.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While I have issues with some of what you said, I agree with many throw STATS around as if they were know all to end all. Many who know the game rely upon what they see, on the court, and in the mechanics of the players. Obviously, Geno doesn't rely on STATS to judge on court performance. However, if a player is scoring 20 points per game I doubt he'd mess with her mechanics.
Well said!
I just don’t think she has room right now to get her shot off. Fundamentals are fundamentals because they help one be successful. If she is open like she had been her 1st 3 years, then she can get away with it. With clear looks less frequent, not so much.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info!
Even if you are right about KLS's shooting form, a mid-season correction is a lot to ask for. Unlearning muscle memory that goes back to fifth grade (as you so snidely put it) takes a long time and is best begun in non-pressure situations. Pheesa spent much of the summer undoing the hitch in her shot, and it was of fairly recent vintage.

If KLS is having more difficulty getting open looks this year, instead of taking her shot apart the better solution is to adjust the offense by, for example (and as you suggest), building in more dribble penetration and kick. You say that Katie Lou's release point is a problem "if nothing else changes". Why should nothing else change?

You seem to have solved your own conundrum. Perhaps you should stick to rattling your own cage.

Reaction Score
The best shooter in college basketball as a sophomore & junior should all of the sudden change her shooting form because she's shooting 37%? :rolleyes: she's one good game away from being back in the 40s, which is ELITE.

Reaction Score
Even if you are right about KLS's shooting form, a mid-season correction is a lot to ask for. Unlearning muscle memory that goes back to fifth grade (as you so snidely put it) takes a long time and is best begun in non-pressure situations. Pheesa spent much of the summer undoing the hitch in her shot, and it was of fairly recent vintage.

If KLS is having more difficulty getting open looks this year, instead of taking her shot apart the better solution is to adjust the offense by, for example (and as you suggest), building in more dribble penetration and kick. You say that Katie Lou's release point is a problem "if nothing else changes". Why should nothing else change?

You seem to have solved your own conundrum. Perhaps you should stick to rattling your own cage.
Because we do not move the defense. Even when we find open shots we have not created rebounding opportunities. We have seen teams for a season and a half bodying up to Katie. Not leaving her for help. So, she is being blanketed and she is not a player that can create her own shot.

Reaction Score
Because we do not move the defense. Even when we find open shots we have not created rebounding opportunities. We have seen teams for a season and a half bodying up to Katie. Not leaving her for help. So, she is being blanketed and she is not a player that can create her own shot.
Last year Lou got a lot of leak out opportunities because we had Gabby, Z & Collier on the boards and forced a lot of turnovers. She isn't getting those this year. I think she's a much better and well-rounded player this season. She is scoring from all 3 levels. She's just having to take a little tougher shots this season. I'm not worried, she will figure it out.

Reaction Score
Last year Lou got a lot of leak out opportunities because we had Gabby, Z & Collier on the boards and forced a lot of turnovers. She isn't getting those this year. I think she's a much better and well-rounded player this season. She is scoring from all 3 levels. She's just having to take a little tougher shots this season. I'm not worried, she will figure it out.

HaHaHa!
Got to stop that weak argument that elite athletes cannot change, adjust, tweak their games. Whatever you want to call it. That’s what athletes do. You ever heard of batting practice? Ask a major leaguer how many times in a season he fiddles with his stance, approach, swing. Ever been to a golf driving range? I played D3 hoops and I worked on my shot at least 2 hours a day, not counting official practice time. Come up with something better!
Why are you trying to talk in circles. I’m not stuttering. I’m making a clear point. Argue the point.

Reaction Score
HaHaHa!
Got to stop that weak argument that elite athletes cannot change, adjust, tweak their games. Whatever you want to call it. That’s what athletes do. You ever heard of batting practice? Ask a major leaguer how many times in a season he fiddles with his stance, approach, swing. Ever been to a golf driving range? I played D3 hoops and I worked on my shot at least 2 hours a day, not counting official practice time. Come up with something better!
Why are you trying to talk in circles. I’m not stuttering. I’m making a clear point. Argue the point.
This isn't D3 basketball, no offense. There's a lot at stake and Lou's shooting is the least of our worries. Mid-season you can make tweaks but what you're talking about is totally reconstructing her shot. That makes ZERO sense.

Reaction Score
This isn't D3 basketball, no offense. There's a lot at stake and Lou's shooting is the least of our worries. Mid-season you can make tweaks but what you're talking about is totally reconstructing her shot. That makes ZERO sense.
Some good points!
Got some time on your hands- replay the Miss St semi and the ND semi and watch us fail to move the D in crucial possessions and our key players forcing contested shots. Remember Gabby hoisting that off balance bank shot. The BY just wants to write it off as just missing shots. It’s more than that and we have time to fix it. Who knows how good we can be. It ain’t gunna just happen. You’re right about there being a lot at stake!

Reaction Score
HaHaHa!
I'm done feeding the troll.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
HaHaHa!
Maybe you should cut back on the cafffeine

Reaction Score
HaHaHa!

Your clear point was to state that UConn's likely career leader in 3 pt shots shoots like a 5th grader. I don't think that point is worthy of argument.

Last edited:

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score

I would love to see Lou draw some fouls when she has players running out at her. She can hit the theee and put the ball on the floor, but if she added drawing contact and getting three foul shots, I think that would make her even harder to defend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom