Takeaway from the USF - Pitt game | The Boneyard

Takeaway from the USF - Pitt game

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I didn't get to see the whole game but I think it is safe to say:

1) If Pitt's offense plays against us like they just did against USF, we could be in for a very long day. The way they ran the ball / mixed in screens and other ways to get the ball to Graham was impressive. Running plays towards their own sideline so the other team couldn't substitute out their exhausted defensive players was all well executed. USF's defense was bushed before halftime. I hope we are able to prepare for that somehow.

2) The difference in performance from Pitt's last game (losing to Notre Dame 15-12) is pretty stark. It is certainly expected that a team implementing a new offensive scheme would get progressively better at playing that style. While UConn is definitely still taking baby steps with the Buffalo game (no INT's!), I would hope that we can make similar improvements as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
The Soon-to-Be "Deceased East" is in serious trouble. Pitt is leaving for ACC and South Florida will be one of the teams left in the depleted conference.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The Soon-to-Be "Deceased East" is in serious trouble. Pitt is leaving for ACC and South Florida will be one of the teams left in the depleted conference.
Kind of funny that the consensus last week was that Pitt were a negligible name in football when they move to the ACC, and today they're a huge loss for the BE. *shrug*

Reaction Score
Kind of funny that the consensus last week was that Pitt were a negligible name in football when they move to the ACC, and today they're a huge loss for the BE. *shrug*

How good would the SEC be with loss of Alabama, Florida, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia & Auburn? Still the best football conference in America?

Reaction Score

It is absurd to be judging the effects of realignment by one football game. Nothing changed by virtue of Pitt's win last night. No more than we became a power by winning one game at South Bend.

Reaction Score
My takeaway is the spread offense works and UCONN should try it. Let Nebrich run. He is as fast as the Pitt QB.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
How good would the SEC be with loss of Alabama, Florida, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia & Auburn? Still the best football conference in America?
So... Pitt and Syracuse (and I guess VT, Miami and BC) is equivalent to Bama, Florida, LSU, Tenn, Georgia and Auburn.

Got it.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Your aunt has balls, too, right? The Pittizens thank you for comparing them with successful football programs.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
My takeaway is the spread offense works and UCONN should try it. Let Nebrich run. He is as fast as the Pitt QB.

Almost every offensive system has the potential to "work" but you need to have the right personnel to implement it. Also, is Pitt strictly speaking a spread offense? I thought of it more as constant no huddle and they ran multiple formations out of that philosophy. Regardless, I don't think we have the right squad to run the spread today. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score

Pitt is a defending BE champion.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
What it told me is that it is an exact science that the unranked home team always beats the ranked road team on Thursday night. Look it up. :)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think that people realize how good Notre Dame's defense is. 7 of their last 9 games they have allowed 1 touchdown or less. With their schedule that is impressive. It's just that everyone is looking for Kelly for offense, they don't see the defense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What it told me is that it is an exact science that the unranked home team always beats the ranked road team on Thursday night. Look it up. :)

Against the spread on Thursday nights, home dogs are a ridiculously good bet. I don't remember the exact number but at this point it's the best bet on the planet.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I don't think that people realize how good Notre Dame's defense is. 7 of their last 9 games they have allowed 1 touchdown or less. With their schedule that is impressive. It's just that everyone is looking for Kelly for offense, they don't see the defense.

I think this is a very valid point. The points that ND gave up to USF and Michigan were also influenced heavily by turnovers, weren't they? Just like our defense "gave up" over 20 points to Vanderbilt but a good chunk of that was due to turnovers as well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
ND has gotten torched by Robinson two years in a row, but he's a special player and so different than others that I find it hard to judge a defense by what he does against them, because you aren't going to see it anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom