Take away any 2 players and we still beat most teams. | The Boneyard

Take away any 2 players and we still beat most teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Have we ever had a team that could be missing any two players at any given time and still win against almost anyone?

We’ve had multiple games where players were out with injuries or didn’t perform or were in foul trouble and we’ve still won every game by double digits.

I don’t recall a UConn team ever being able to withstand the absence of two of their top 3 players and still have a legitimate chance to win against everyone. This seems to be the case this year. Newton is the one player who we may need to stay healthy but I think we could manage without him for a period of time because there are enough playmakers and ball handlers on this team.

Reaction Score
Have we ever had a team that could be missing any two players at any given time and still win against almost anyone?

We’ve had multiple games where players were out with injuries or didn’t perform or were in foul trouble and we’ve still won every game by double digits.

I don’t recall a UConn team ever being able to withstand the absence of two of their top 3 players and still have a legitimate chance to win against everyone. This seems to be the case this year. Newton is the one player who we may need to stay healthy but I think we could manage without him for a period of time because there are enough playmakers and ball handlers on this team.
The beat number 4 Stamford on their own court without RIP maybe another I couldn’t find the box score .

They had guys like Rash , Sauders, and Morning on the bench .
Wane was a decent backup center.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's one reason for my rational exuberance. We just handled a tough team playing 3,000 miles away with a top guy not playing. We're sick. Whoever goes in has been seamless.

Reaction Score

I think you’re right about Newton. We might have enough ball handling with Diarra and Jackson but it could get sketchy without Newton. I think beating those half court traps could be part of practice this week… His handle seems loose sometimes and yet I think he had an 8:1 assist to turnover ratio against Alabama. I love how he’s not doing too much. He was incredible.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

The Basketball Gods hate this kind sith - just don't do it.

Reaction Score
Agreed- it’s a long season- I understand the high of having one of our best starts in program history- but again it’s been only eight games so far- a lot can go wrong- hopefully Danny & the team keeps working hard to get better each day & to put us in a good position to do big things come March.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
we're doomed return of the jedi GIF by Star Wars

Reaction Score
The beat number 4 Stamford on their own court without RIP maybe another I couldn’t find the box score .

IIRC, it was just without Rip. Earlier that week we lost to Miami without both Voskuhl and Rip, but Jake was back for the Stamford game.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Honestly we are tempting fate with a lot of the posts in recent days (like asking about our eventual ranking before the Iowa State game). Newcomers (or really anyone who has joined in the last 7 years) would be well served to bone up on the DOOOOOOOOMED meme. It works - let's not stray from something that has withstood the test of time.

Reaction Score
What if you take away Sanogo and Clingan?
And thats why i had to give a thumbs down to his post. I dont even know what he means by his assertion. We still beat most teams? Like what does he mean? The best team we`ve beaten this season is Bama and our best players played well. Iowa St is a good team that pulled off an upset but how many of the top 10 teams would they beat? I dont even think they remain all season in the top 25. The same can be said of several other teams but what does it really mean? You think Houston has any chance in hell of beating us with two of their starters out and us at full strength? Im sorry i dont mean to come down on his post but for me its a head scratcher.

Now that being said dont get me wrong this team appears absolutely loaded and clicking but i still think we have not seen this teams A game yet but even now i like our chances against anyone in the country. I have my opinion on how good this team can be and they actually remind me of another great college team i wont mention yet as im waiting to see more and undoubtedly would get flamed for making the comparison but they are looking like a certain all time team to me.

Reaction Score
Honestly we are tempting fate with a lot of the posts in recent days (like asking about our eventual ranking before the Iowa State game). Newcomers (or really anyone who has joined in the last 7 years) would be well served to bone up on the DOOOOOOOOMED meme. It works - let's not stray from something that has withstood the test of time.
It hasnt worked very well since 2014. I dont mind all that stuff because its part of fandom but c`mon maaan!

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
It hasnt worked very well since 2014. I dont mind all that stuff because its part of fandom but c`mon maaan!
haha. besides @Scrappy3, we haven't quite relished in blind optimism as we have this season so there were fewer reasons to be doooooooomed. but I heed your point.

Reaction Score
I think you could be right......BUT, I prefer not to test that out.

I still remember that game to this day, like 23 years later. I think I even recall the final score, 70-59.

Reaction Score
And thats why i had to give a thumbs down to his post. I dont even know what he means by his assertion. We still beat most teams? Like what does he mean? The best team we`ve beaten this season is Bama and our best players played well. Iowa St is a good team that pulled off an upset but how many of the top 10 teams would they beat? I dont even think they remain all season in the top 25. The same can be said of several other teams but what does it really mean? You think Houston has any chance in hell of beating us with two of their starters out and us at full strength? Im sorry i dont mean to come down on his post but for me its a head scratcher.

Now that being said dont get me wrong this team appears absolutely loaded and clicking but i still think we have not seen this teams A game yet but even now i like our chances against anyone in the country. I have my opinion on how good this team can be and they actually remind me of another great college team i wont mention yet as im waiting to see more and undoubtedly would get flamed for making the comparison but they are looking like a certain all time team to me.
Finally a realist. (Claps hands) I agree and thanks for this post

Reaction Score
I think it's an interesting post! The main point is that in past years, just like many teams, if you were missing a guy or two it meant serious trouble. Last year, the simple strategy was to get Sanogo in foul trouble. That will no longer work this year. Last year, if we went into a game against a good team without Sanogo and Cole, it was game over.

This year, if we had to play without Sanogo and Hawkins, or Sanogo and Newton, other guys can fill in well. We have multiple big guys, multiple shooters, multiple guys that can score, multiple guys that play great D. That's very rare!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom