Take a look at the 2011 team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Take a look at the 2011 team

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Actually, Kemba used to drive into the trees, get stripped and lose possession at times. We screamed at him. He was good at times and sometimes even better but no doubt but he became Kemba during that run. He could get his own shot. I don’t think Hawkins has the strength to do that for us, wish he did. I actually think we could have Hawkins another year, he needs it.
Yeah he struggled some during Big East play when things got physical and refs swallowed their whistle. But he pretty much showed he was the best in the country during Maui. Lol

Even in the highlight it showed he had 42 against Vermont. He didn’t just blow up out of no where come tournament time.

Hawkins doesn’t have the strength or handle but he’s getting better and better. Had some good tough finishes against PC. He’s the only guard who aggressively attacks consistently looking to score.

Reaction Score
Kemba was dropping 40 out the gate. Carrying us to the Maui championship. We pretty much knew who he was by the time Big East play rolled around. Lol

I’m hoping Andre Jackson can eventually realize that if he wants to be a true leader for this team, he needs to do it in the points column. He’s the only player talented enough to get any shot he wants and beat guys off the dribble.
this team has no chance without andre

Dog Attack GIFs | Tenor

Attachments

• FF741E1E-BC32-4EA0-B6C4-ACF26C66871D.gif
    FF741E1E-BC32-4EA0-B6C4-ACF26C66871D.gif
    343.1 KB · Views: 72
Reaction Score
The team went 23-0 for tourneys and OOC. Against the toughest competition in the country.

But inside the BEs, the refs allowed teams to slam and hammer Kemba constantly. His shooting % dropped. His points per game went down. The team suffered.

It's not hard to change a game when on 10 trips down the floor, you swallow your whistle. That's 10 points right there.

Reaction Score
Hawkins doesn’t have the handle to take over games without screens or maybe a few pull up jumpers a game. 16 games in we don’t have a go player who can go by anyone. If the set play breaks down late in shot clock we look lost.

Reaction Score
maybe it was due to style of play or roster makeup, the 2011 team was undefeated out of conference and then muddled through BE play. I am hoping there are some parallels here.

Reaction Score
Tbh it’s not really worth making any comparisons to 2011 other than the coincidence of both teams being great OOC and not great in conference (so far)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Personally, I don't like comparing teams and trends of present teams and past teams. Different players and coaches.
2011 had the resiliencies needed to be a champion that I am quite sure this team doesn't possess. It starts with coaching and that plays a huge part. Cohesiveness is vital and because of the transfer portal imports and freshman I feel that is a thing of the past.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Actually, Kemba used to drive into the trees, get stripped and lose possession at times. We screamed at him. He was good at times and sometimes even better but no doubt but he became Kemba during that run. He could get his own shot. I don’t think Hawkins has the strength to do that for us, wish he did. I actually think we could have Hawkins another year, he needs it.
Hawk isn't the same type of player Kemba was. Hawk will never be the point man with the ball in his hands 65% of the time. He is more like Ray or Rip in terms of utilization. He may be around next year. Not sure he is eager to jump to the league at this point.

Reaction Score
Do we have anyone on this team that can create their own shot? Im hoping thats Samson Johnson when he comes back

Yeah Samson Johnson is certainly not going to be that guy.

Reaction Score
Just trying to point out that 2011 team struggled at times evidenced by their last few BE games. As Marat pointed out we didn’t know during the first week of January that Kemba would become a legend.

This year’s team has the possibility of someone stepping up to some degree and return to our early season dominance. Possibly Sanogo, Hawkins, or AJ.

As said in the Matrix, “Kid you have it, just don’t know if you’re ready.” I think Hawkins might have it, but is he mentally ready?

Reaction Score
@NEforceUConn I get your purpose for the post. It makes complete sense. Some like to point out any possible discrepancy in the comparison and hammer it home. Sound and fury. Plus, many are down on this team at the moment. There were a bunch of comparisons to the kemba team before we lost, as well.

Reaction Score
Didn't Jimmer sweep that year?

Edit: And Ben Hansbrough won BEPOY. Kemba was tournament MOP though.
Arrows in every UConn’s fans heart that some of us ( not all apparently ) will take to the grace
That slight was answered by the 2011 BE tourny + NC team
Others
Laettner 1990- answered by 1999 -2004 NC
2013 banning and being left for dead. Answered by 2014 NC

Reaction Score
Everyone saying this team doesn't have a Kemba....i think the point of the post was more so don't panic. There's bumps in the road, yeah they lost 2 straight but at the beginning of the year anyone here would have signed on for a 14-2 record. Guys saying even their championship teams hit slumps so lets not act like the sky is falling when two road games go the wrong way

Reaction Score
Lmaoooo! I literally just spit out my coffee reading this.
You can attribute any skills you want to players who have not played .
Deng was the best player on the team until he played
Purvis turned out to be a good reliable auto or pickup truck rather than a Porsche .
Some things never change

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You can attribute any skills you want to players who have played .
Deng was the best player on the team until he played
Purvis turned out to be a good reliable auto or pickup truck rather than a Porsche .
Some things never change
Don’t forget Majok who was unstoppable against chairs

Reaction Score
There is only one Kemba
But a team has to grow during a season If they want post season success. There are a number of ways that can happen. Whether it does or not depends on th3 coach.
Does anyone know how I can correct typing the 3 when I hit the e
That is a pain in the butt. It not a typo it’s a keyboard glitch .

I believe those numbers are imbedded beneath the letters on my iPad keyboard

Reaction Score
Everyone saying this team doesn't have a Kemba....i think the point of the post was more so don't panic. There's bumps in the road, yeah they lost 2 straight but at the beginning of the year anyone here would have signed on for a 14-2 record. Guys saying even their championship teams hit slumps so lets not act like the sky is falling when two road games go the wrong way
exactly, the 2014 were left for dead with a KO as the head coach……..and they were average regular season. ….and BAM!………….this is all on hurley. I see the talent, know how to work it.

Reaction Score
exactly, the 2014 were left for dead with a KO as the head coach……..and they were average regular season. ….and BAM!………….this is all on hurley. I see the talent, know how to work it.
Right but the point everyone is making is that both of those teams had the best player in college basketball on the team. Even if they went supernova in their respective tournaments they also had huge regular seasons (e.g. kemba’s nova game winner, bazz’s Florida one, etc.). There’s no one like that on our team. Our three best players are two centers and a freak athlete who can’t shoot.

Reaction Score
You need a guard that’s able to score when everything else doesn’t work or a guard to just take over. We don’t have that.

This team is still a very good team can make the final 4 championship idk

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom