Tailgating Toys/Tips/Food | The Boneyard

Tailgating Toys/Tips/Food

Reaction Score
Off Season <sigh>...

Ran across this last night - just sharing. cool concept but the dude is smoking some serious dope on the price though.

http://www.moeactive.com/tailgater

No thanks a little to expensive. Maybe if we were RVing . As it is I have the coleman grill for 6 of us and if you just grill it is a pain cleaning it up after each use with all the fat runoff from the good stuff. I would imagine you need a large truck to hide that stuff in. Us old guys only get in 2 hrs before the game and setup so. We usually break up 20-30 minutes before game time. This season I hope we all have more reason to get butts on the benches real early to enjoy the new dawning of UCONN Football. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
I've only tailgated once and it was a blast. I had season tickets for two years (lost my job at the time so couldn't afford to renew), but it was really only me and my girlfriend at the time. So we ended up just heading to the stadium a little early so I can see UCMB (being a former member makes we not want to miss a second of pre, half or after game show). Unfortunately, I work two jobs now so I can only make it to one game this year, which will most likely be BYU or Boise St. I am going to try to get a bunch of people to come with me. Any recommendations on what kind of food I should cook? All I know is buffalo chicken dip is a must!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I work two jobs now so I can only make it to one game this year, which will most likely be BYU or Boise St. I am going to try to get a bunch of people to come with me. Any recommendations on what kind of food I should cook? All I know is buffalo chicken dip is a must!

One approach is to use the visiting's team location as a springboard for a tailgating theme. So in your case it looks to be salt or potatoes.

Reaction Score
One approach is to use the visiting's team location as a springboard for a tailgating theme. So in your case it looks to be salt or potatoes.

Salt and potatoes huh? Well can't go wrong with baked potatoes, french fries, and ummm hash browns? I was thinking that if I can get enough people to go (say 5 - 10 people) I would provide the wings, burgers and dogs, then have everyone else kind of go pot luck on it. This will be my first time putting a tailgate together so I'm definitely making sure it goes right!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Great idea but I agree, $2200 does not fit in my or my group's budget. I'd rather take that money and buy bowl game tickets!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There must be a market for that, but I don't see it. Grill, cooler, tent, table, chairs, and a produce box from Sams' Club for the unperishables fits nicely into the back of an SUV.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Salt and potatoes huh? Well can't go wrong with baked potatoes, french fries, and ummm hash browns? I was thinking that if I can get enough people to go (say 5 - 10 people) I would provide the wings, burgers and dogs, then have everyone else kind of go pot luck on it. This will be my first time putting a tailgate together so I'm definitely making sure it goes right!
There really is no wrong way to tailgate, unless you're not having fun, which really only requires friends and good conversation. That said, it's sort of tough to tailgate alone.

Reaction Score
There really is no wrong way to tailgate, unless you're not having fun, which really only requires friends and good conversation. That said, it's sort of tough to tailgate alone.

I just want to convince some of my fair weather friends that going to every game is not only going to be fun, but worth getting up at 6 AM to tailgate.

Reaction Score
I just want to convince some of my fair weather friends that going to every game is not only going to be fun, but worth getting up at 6 AM to tailgate.
Well worth it...some of the games are in the afternoon/evening so tell them they don't have to get up at 6AM...but give your self plenty of time to enjoy. Especially if you go a little early, get everything set up for them...that's a pretty tough thing to say no to....

Husky25

Reaction Score
I've only tailgated once and it was a blast. I had season tickets for two years (lost my job at the time so couldn't afford to renew), but it was really only me and my girlfriend at the time. So we ended up just heading to the stadium a little early so I can see UCMB (being a former member makes we not want to miss a second of pre, half or after game show). Unfortunately, I work two jobs now so I can only make it to one game this year, which will most likely be BYU or Boise St. I am going to try to get a bunch of people to come with me. Any recommendations on what kind of food I should cook? All I know is buffalo chicken dip is a must!

BYU is a Thursday (read: Night game), Boise is a Saturday, probably a 12:00 start. Night games take Breakfast out of the equation. Typical bill of fair is Brats, Wings, Hotdogs, and Hamburgers, with sides of store bought salads and chips. Almost anything is portable, so really the sky is the limit. over the last 11+ years, We've made grill fired pizza, steaks (both sandwhiches and fork/knife style), chili, seafood, Ribs, Buffalo meat, and more that I can't think of right now. Don't really have a method for our consumption madness; Just what sort of strikes us a couple days before the game. As you see, Waquoit and others here base it off the opponent. For Breakfast, we do egg burritos with all the meats, veggies (if you want them) and wraps and hash browns (Or shredded tatter tots). Drinks depends on who is showing up and how sophisticated you want to be. The obvious choice is beer in cans. When my wife comes (who doesn't like beer), she has Martinis. If there are kids, soda is a must. If there is no room for a case or two of beer, luckily Vodka mixes with pretty much anything, so you can save room. Water is probably a good idea for the ride home as well.

Husky25

Reaction Score

It is absolutely worth it. My wife thinks I'm nuts to want to have breakfast outside in in 9 degree wind chill, but I wouldn't do it if it weren't fun and we weren't entertained...

Reaction Score
Looks like I have enough to bribe some of the on-the-fencers to at least go to one game. I'll just make sure we're their early enough to have enough time to tailgate and see the UCMB pre-game show. I've always been the type to stay from UCMB pre-game to the last second ticks off the clock. Now just gotta make sure I'm driving the majority of my friends so they are too.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
There must be a market for that, but I don't see it. Grill, cooler, tent, table, chairs, and a produce box from Sams' Club for the unperishables fits nicely into the back of an SUV.

I know a guy in San Diego who builds these kind of things and charges a similar amount.

He sells a boatload of them.

In the south tailgating is a social status thing. The wives want to show their sorority sisters how cool their RV is - the husbands constantly try to out do each other at the tailgate as well.

In CT, it might be about having a fancier car or cooler vacation or nicer clothes etc.

Its a different world.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I know a guy in San Diego who builds these kind of things and charges a similar amount.

He sells a boatload of them.

In the south tailgating is a social status thing. The wives want to show their sorority sisters how cool their RV is - the husbands constantly try to out do each other at the tailgate as well.

In CT, it might be about having a fancier car or cooler vacation or nicer clothes etc.

Its a different world.
License the idea to Coleman or Thermos, lower the price by 75% and make a killing off the royalty. Economies of scale, my friends...

I've probably spend a few thousand dollars on my tailgating set up over the years but a mortgage payment all at once for what looks like half the storage, cooking, and cooling space just doesn't peek my ear.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Every year, I promise myself that tailgate TV will come. Really, I'm doing it this year. Damnit.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Every year, I promise myself that tailgate TV will come. Really, I'm doing it this year. Damnit.
I did it this year for Michigan. 32" LCD, rabbit ears for antenna, and a power inverter to power it from the car. Tough to find room with all the tailgate stuff we usually have but we made it work!

But really all you need to tailgate is :

beer.jpg

Reaction Score
TV can be done pretty easily. You can go off air antenna which is the easiest but limits you to local channels. We do directv. With a little practice aiming the dish should only take a few minutes. Probably need a generator to power tv, dish and receiver. We use a small honda. Really quiet and can run for 6-7 hours without refueling it. Anyone needs help lemme know.

Husky25

Reaction Score
We used a 15.6" laptop and my phone as a wi-fi hotspot. The new 4Runner has a built in power inverter.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We used a 15.6" laptop and my phone as a wi-fi hotspot. The new 4Runner has a built in power inverter.

Was going to do the satellite thing, but saw the future was in streaming and decided against spending the money a decent setup would cost. How is the bandwidth in the lot? Do you run your engine during the tailgate and if so, doesn't that get annoying?

FWIW, if you are a DIY'r you may give building this a shot.

Tailgate in a box

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Was going to do the satellite thing, but saw the future was in streaming and decided against spending the money a decent setup would cost. How is the bandwidth in the lot? Do you run your engine during the tailgate and if so, doesn't that get annoying?

FWIW, if you are a DIY'r you may give building this a shot.

Tailgate in a box
Good cell bandwith early, steadily declines as folks arrive... I'd be skeptical that it would be reliable for streaming but I'll let other folks who have actually tried it comment!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
TV can be done pretty easily. You can go off air antenna which is the easiest but limits you to local channels. We do directv. With a little practice aiming the dish should only take a few minutes. Probably need a generator to power tv, dish and receiver. We use a small honda. Really quiet and can run for 6-7 hours without refueling it. Anyone needs help lemme know.

Yes, should have been clearer. I'm also looking to add DirecTV. OTA is easy - we did a jerryrigged one on a laptop for one game this year, but it's always a question of acquiring everything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom