Tailgating Tips, Tricks, Ideas, Etc | The Boneyard

Tailgating Tips, Tricks, Ideas, Etc

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I know there used to be a thread with this info but I couldn’t find it anywhere.

I’m a first time season ticket holder (bought seats for Wake Forest yesterday) and would love to hear any tips or thoughts that people have for tailgating experiences. Which grills are the best to use? I’d like to be able to setup a TV outside for use to watch other games while tailgating- what’s the best way to do that?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am on my 2nd Coleman Road Trip Grill- the first lasted 11 years. Takes 2 1/2 minutes to set up and start. Has a griddle and a grill if you want to buy the griddle. Get a folding 6 ft table to put your food on and another if you want people to ear around the table- at my tailgates we all sit in chairs wherever we want. Get big garbage bags, lots of plastic cups and plastic spoons and forks. Have fun

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I am on my 2nd Coleman Road Trip Grill- the first lasted 11 years. Takes 2 1/2 minutes to set up and start. Has a griddle and a grill if you want to buy the griddle. Get a folding 6 ft table to put your food on and another if you want people to ear around the table- at my tailgates we all sit in chairs wherever we want. Get big garbage bags, lots of plastic cups and plastic spoons and forks. Have fun

2nd on the road trip - mine is pushing 15 years now. I replaced the baseplate a couple of years ago, and the push button start is dead on one burner, but it's a beast.
Extra bonus - you can get attachments for it (full or half-griddle, stove rings) that make it really flexible. Underrated power outage backup stove (outdoors, obv).

All that said, though - Weber just came out with a competitor to it, and it looks really nice (and costs more to match): Weber Traveler Portable Gas Grill | Weber Traveler Series | Portable Grills | Weber Grills

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I bought a Weber Q series portable grill maybe 8 years ago and brought it to the rent for games and now it sits on my deck with an adapter to a full size propane tank.

I got the bigger of the two portable grills, which depending on the size of the group you may be going with may be worth sizing up.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Some of the flat top griddles can be good for tailgating. Solid cooking top evens out heat distribution and prevents any flare ups from flames. Plus the flat top is a bit easier to clean and maintain than anything with grates.

This 22" griddle is a good tailgate sized. It does require a separate purchase of a lid and cover.

22'' Tabletop Griddle (with Stainless Steel Front Plate) – Blackstone Products

There's also a 17" griddle with a side air fryer or a 17" griddle with a side burner.

Griddles – Blackstone Products

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Some of the flat top griddles can be good for tailgating. Solid cooking top evens out heat distribution and prevents any flare ups from flames. Plus the flat top is a bit easier to clean and maintain than anything with grates.

This 22" griddle is a good tailgate sized. It does require a separate purchase of a lid and cover.

22'' Tabletop Griddle (with Stainless Steel Front Plate) – Blackstone Products

There's also a 17" griddle with a side air fryer or a 17" griddle with a side burner.

Griddles – Blackstone Products

Power draw on those electric griddle/air fryers may be an issue. I want one badly though :)

Drew

Reaction Score
Does anyone have experience with setting up a TV at a tailgate? I have an extra one with a fire stick I use already that I’d like to bring and watch my YouTube TV on but I’m not sure how to do that since it’d need wifi. Guessing DISH/DIRECTV is the easiest way to do that?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't buy too much stove. We had a monstrosity suitable for outdoor catering when we started, over time it wasn't worth the trouble and we left it at home. I agree with hardcore, a Coleman Road Trip is perfect. Get the flat-top accessory.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Does anyone have experience with setting up a TV at a tailgate? I have an extra one with a fire stick I use already that I’d like to bring and watch my YouTube TV on but I’m not sure how to do that since it’d need wifi. Guessing DISH/DIRECTV is the easiest way to do that?
Do people have mobile hot spots anymore? But isn't TV at a tailgate anti-social?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Yep - I'm the resident TV guy :)

Dish/DirecTV is the best, because you're not reliant on data availability, which even with spotty attendance, becomes a problem at the Rent.
A close 2nd is an aerial, if you can get by with only broadcast channels

Data (Fire sticks / roku / etc) is likely a non-starter, just because it will be saturated too quickly.

Reaction Score
I second the Blackstone griddle. Very versatile and once the cast iron heats up it’s pretty consistent. On the TV front I have had success with antenna to get The local channels but never tried anything else.

Reaction Score
I always set up a basic 35" Best Buy TV at my tailgate. It is cool to have it on in the background especially if there is another good game on or even to have on mute if you are playing music. I have never had an issue using my iphone for internet (AT&T unlimited data). I usually connect it directly using a lightning to HDMI rather than use it as a hot spot.

To power the TV, I use a Black and Decker battery power station. I actually use this thing all the time to put air in tires, jump starts and to power a couple of lights in my house when I loose power. There are dozens of these things out there with different levels of power. This is just the one I bought:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If there is a big game on, especially a UConn basketball game late in season, it is very very social - you will make many new friends. :)
I agree with the big-game exception.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I always set up a basic 35" Best Buy TV at my tailgate. It is cool to have it on in the background especially if there is another good game on or even to have on mute if you are playing music. I have never had an issue using my iphone for internet (AT&T unlimited data). I usually connect it directly using a lightning to HDMI rather than use it as a hot spot.

To power the TV, I use a Black and Decker battery power station. I actually use this thing all the time to put air in tires, jump starts and to power a couple of lights in my house when I loose power. There are dozens of these things out there with different levels of power. This is just the one I bought:

Yep. Put another game on in the background on mute. Let's people still talk and mingle and also catch up on scores and action around the country.

Drew

Reaction Score

This is great- two questions:

1. How do you maintain phone battery when using the hotspot via plug in? Wireless charger? I also have unlimited data and have the lightening cable along with an HDMI so I’m interested in going this route

2. Do you only use this at UConn tailgates? How crowded is your lot? The reason I ask is I’m estimating a pretty crowded lot where I bought for Wake (right outside the stadium) and wondering about the data availability with so many people in one location. It’s not Alabama by any means but its decently crowded from what I’ve been able to gather

Drew

Reaction Score
Yep. Put another game on in the background on mute. Let's people still talk and mingle and also catch up on scores and action around the country.
What’s great is Wake allows for people to stay in the lot during and after the games so a TV is perfect for those that come without tickets and want to stay and play games/grill/watch games outdoors. Can easily catch a noon kick and come out in the afternoon to catch the 3:30 SEC game from the lot and fire up the grill for some post game festivities

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

1. How do you maintain phone battery when using the hotspot via plug in? Wireless charger? I also have unlimited data and have the lightening cable along with an HDMI so I’m interested in going this route

2. Do you only use this at UConn tailgates? How crowded is your lot? The reason I ask is I’m estimating a pretty crowded lot where I bought for Wake (right outside the stadium) and wondering about the data availability with so many people in one location. It’s not Alabama by any means but its decently crowded from what I’ve been able to gather

For 2 - Would be worth asking @ Wake, as they may very well have good campus guest wifi which will make this easier.

Reaction Score

1. How do you maintain phone battery when using the hotspot via plug in? Wireless charger?
Most of the PowerStations have USB ports. Actually one of the B&D pics above shows it. Even in Condo/Apartment living - the power stations come in handy. Would have been SOL @ the house in a few storms without one.

Drew

Reaction Score
Most of the PowerStations have USB ports. Actually one of the B&D pics above shows it. Even in Condo/Apartment living - the power stations come in handy. Would have been SOL @ the house in a few storms without one.
Yeah but if plugging into the lightening cable via HDMI to the TV it takes up the one USB slot on the phone- unless being plugged into the TV which is plugged into the generator means the phone charges?

I’m in an apartment now so that’s good to hear about the power stations being useful

Reaction Score
Yeah but if plugging into the lightening cable via HDMI to the TV it takes up the one USB slot on the phone- unless being plugged into the TV which is plugged into the generator means the phone charges?

I’m in an apartment now so that’s good to hear about the power stations being useful
True… was only thinking of power station capability.

Storm prep was how I sold my wife on my Portable Honda Generator many years back ;)

Reaction Score

Nope. The lightning to HDMI cable/adapter has the ability to run out of the phone AND charge at the same time with a normal phone charge cord. And yes, I keep it charged using the USB port on the power station as @huskymedic described.

Here is the one I have. It has two slots on the adapter. One is for the HDMI cable which goes to the HDMI in the TV. And the other goes from lightning to one of the USB ports on the power station to keep it charged. Hope that helps.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom