Tailgating the NOLA way... | The Boneyard

Tailgating the NOLA way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Will be visiting the Crown Prince in D.C. this weekend where he's doing a law school internship. My fantasy French Quarter tailgate would include: Hurricanes at Pat O'Briens
Oysters on the half shell & boiled crawfish from ACME Oyster Co.
Gumbo from Felix's
Bananas Foster from Brennan's
The Roast Duck from Emeril Lagasse's NOLA
Muffellata Sandwich from the Deli who's name escapes me

Then after the game, hit the Rock & Bowl for a string & cocktails (if it's still in existence)

Reaction Score
I would suggest starving yourself for a solid month before embarking on this journey.

Also, you need to start the day with beignets and coffee at Cafe Du Monde.
My bad for forgetting the essential stop. My cholesterol goes up 1000 points thinking about those beignets. And the café au lait is superb.

Reaction Score
Will be visiting the Crown Prince in D.C. this weekend where he's doing a law school internship. My fantasy French Quarter tailgate would include: Hurricanes at Pat O'Briens
Gumbo from Felix's

Then after the game, hit the Rock & Bowl for a string & cocktails (if it's still in existence)

Central Grocery and Deli for the Muffellata!
923 Decatur St, New Orleans, LA 70116

Reaction Score
I'll take the grilled Oysters from Drago's and the muffellata from Central Market (around the corner/walking distance from Café Du Monde)

Reaction Score
Gumbo from Felix's

I am heading for the first time to New Orleans Friday for the first time. I have been told by friends about Pat O'Briens and Cafe Du Monde (may need to double up on the Statins). Ever been to these places?:

Breakfast:

Breakfast and Jazzy Brunch The Sunday brunch and jazz at Arnaud's Restaurant is a 4-course feast with an appetizer, salad, entree and dessert. Satisfy a sweet tooth with the Pain Perdu with orange-infused honey or opt for something savory with the grillades of braised baby veal scaloppini served with cheese grits. Sip a Mimosa, Bloody Mary, Bullshot or a Gin Fizz while listening to live Dixieland jazz.

Classic New Orleans Cuisine:

The Palace Cafe reinvents classic Creole dishes in a lively cafe setting on historic Canal Street. The happy-hour deal tempts diners on weekdays from 5 to 7 p.m. with $5 plates of alligator sausage pistolette, crab claws remoulade and duck spring rolls. Wash it down with Peters Planters Punch.

Mr. B's is a favorite lunchtime spot in the French quarter. Creole comfort food includes Gumbo Ya Ya with chicken and andouille, catfish fingers and crawfish etouffee.

Brigtsen's Restaurant serves Creole food in a cozy Victorian cottage near the Riverbend. Chef Frank Brigtsen is lauded for his unique spin on southern Louisiana specialties. The menu changes daily to feature the freshest local ingredients, but some standouts include rabbit tenderloin with andouille parmesan-grits cake and grilled drum fish with crawfish and pistachio lime sauce.

Cochon showcases Cajun cuisine at its best with dishes like crawfish pie, fried alligator, rabbit and dumplings and roasted gulf fish. The in-house butcher shop, or boucherie, turns out roasted suckling pig with cracklings, fried pig's ears and fried boudin.

Fine Dining:

The Commander's Palace is a New Orleans institution in a Victorian in the Garden District. Behind the turquoise and white shades, the Haute Creole cuisine has been evolving since opening in 1880. The Chef's Playground is a 7-course tasting menu with the much-praised Foie Gras 'Du Monde,' a delicate dish of skillet-roasted foie gras over apple, pecan and foie gras beignets as well as Crispy Wild Gulf Fish and Cracklin' Crusted Duck.

Antoine's has been seducing diners since 1840 with French-Creole cuisine in an extraordinary setting. There are 15 dining rooms filled with memorabilia from famous guests including past presidents, film stars and even Pope John Paul II. The signature dish is Oysters Rockefeller which originated at this grand restaurant in 1889.

Local ingredients shine in Italian preparations at Bacco. The signature dish brings Italy and the southern bayou together with Maine Lobster and Gulf Shrimp Ravioli with champagne butter sauce. Pasta dishes include Louisiana crawfish tails served over fresh pappardelle or fried oysters with fettuccine.

Before Emeril Lagasse became a household name, he was the executive chef at Commander's Palace. Today, he owns 3 upscale restaurants around town. His first restaurant, Emeril's, brought his bold personality to the NOLA scene with dishes like Creole-marinated calamari, andouille-crusted redfish, and roasted quail stuffed with mushrooms and crabmeat.

THIS SOUNDS LIKE IT MIGHT BE MY FAVORITE - 45 BEERS ON TAP and an alligator sausage po'boy!

With 45 beers on tap at Cooter Brown's, there's more than enough to wash down a plate of briny oysters at this casual bar. If you don't fall for raw fish, get a meat fix with a classic muffuletta sandwich or alligator sausage po'boy.

Reaction Score
I would suggest starving yourself for a solid month before embarking on this journey.

I concur. The beignets are happiness in a couple bites.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's good to hit some of the more famous places to get them off of your bucket list.

Just be mindful that every other person visiting New Orleans has the same places on their list. Be prepared to wait. You may be fortunate and hit them at a slow time; if so, be grateful.

Enjoy Abita beers and try the alligator sausages and bites. It's all good and you'll finally be able to answer the age old question of whether or not it really does taste like chicken.

Reaction Score
Bring on the Beignets and Cafe-O-Lattes spiked with a little something

Reaction Score
The Po-boy I got there was the best grinder I have ever had, and it wasn't even close.
Was there in 2011 and 2013 for work. Both years we stayed at Lowes across the street form Mothers. In 2011 I was in the lobby with a few guys from work and Kevin Dineen walked by. I stopped him and ask him if it was him. It was. We had about a 10 minute conversation. He was waiting for his wife. It was the AHL all-star break so he and his wife went to NOLA for a few days because the food was on their bucket list. Class guy all the way.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
Erster po'boy just about anywhere in N.O.

Grilled pompano at Galatoire's, which many locals consider the best restaurant in town.

Reaction Score
Gumbo from Felix's

Typical NOLA. It is not even dark, but the first thing I see after checking into my hotel in the Quarter, is a topless woman painted silver walking down Bourbon Street. Thank me for not taking and posting a picture.

There will be no Bananas Foster at Brennan's this trip. I love that place for brunch. But Brennan's was a construction zone when I walked by. A sign indicates that they are reopening this fall.

I would add "Anything at Commander's Palace" to your list. One of the finest restaurants I have ever been to. But you may want to check the credit limit on your card before entering.

Reaction Score
Typical NOLA. It is not even dark, but the first thing I see after checking into my hotel in the Quarter, is a topless woman painted silver walking down Bourbon Street. Thank me for not taking and posting a picture.

There will be no Bananas Foster at Brennan's this trip. I love that place for brunch. But Brennan's was a construction zone when I walked by. A sign indicates that they are reopening this fall.

I would add "Anything at Commander's Palace" to your list. One of the finest restaurants I have ever been to. But you may want to check the credit limit on your card before entering.

Ridiculous 5 star restaurant. My gf and I just wanted to stop in for a drink during a sweltering afternoon this past june after checking out the cemetery across the street. We were turned away because I had shorts on. Well excuse me!

Reaction Score
Ridiculous 5 star restaurant. My gf and I just wanted to stop in for a drink during a sweltering afternoon this past june after checking out the cemetery across the street. We were turned away because I had shorts on. Well excuse me!

Right -- shorts, T-shirts and open-toed male footwear are not allowed at Commander's Palace. On the other hand, the food and the service are ridiculously good.

Reaction Score
Right -- shorts, T-shirts and open-toed male footwear are not allowed at Commander's Palace. On the other hand, the food and the service are ridiculously good.

Well outside of my budget and credit card limit. 5 star is not in my Uconn recruiting plan.

Reaction Score

The powdered sugar is ridiculous. Everything has a coat of white on it. Basically just breathing it in if you get 50 yds from there. So good though. One of the few tourists attractions that lives up to its billing. Cheap too.

Reaction Score
Went to NOLA this past weekend with Dad and Bro as a Father's Day present. Dad hadn't been since 1990 and bro had never been there. Unfortunately this is not the time of year to get fresh crawfish, which was disappointing. Some of the highlights:

Commander's Palace - One of the best dinners I have had between the service and the quality of the food. Concur with everyone's recommendations. But, they do have a dress code, and prefer jackets for men, along with no jeans/shorts. But well worth it if you can get a reservation. Great Bananas Foster, made tableside!

Cafe du Monde - A must do for beignets and cafe au lait.
The Butcher (around the corner from Cochon) - Muffalettas, other assorted bbq sandwiches - was excellent. Also had dinner next to Aaron Sanchez (of Top Chef) one night.
Felix's - When the line at Acme is too long, go to Felix's for raw and chargrilled oysters and po boys. Shrimp and oyster po boy was excellent.
La Boca - Argentinian Steakhouse - some of the best cuts of meat you can get, served very simply with chimichurri and other sauces.

Bars
Carousel Bar at Hotel Monteleone - a cool bar, a little more upscale, a round bar that actually spins around the center where the bartenders are. Takes 15 minutes to make one revolution.
LaFitte's Blacksmith Shop - they don't 'have electricity', except for the TVs and jukeboxes. Looks cool lit up with candles and the gas lanterns at night.
Pat O'Briens - A Bourbon street staple.

Other places not on this visit:
Galatoire's
Dickie Brennans
Emeril's
Mother's
Central Grocery - The original po'boy

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well I did my best to start the weekend right.

I was at a hail and bail luncheon for a good friend and we went to a New Orleans restaurant with all the requisite food- seafood gumbo, mufallatta's, red beans and rice, etc.

I went for the fried oyster po boy and it was delicious.

The mojo is strong.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ever been to these places?:

Emeril's ... andouille-crusted redfish

I had this dish at Emeril's. I loved it. And Mother's may be full of tourists but it's pretty great.

A little joint that had great fried chicken is Coop's Place not too far from the French Market. Might be a bit divey for some.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I had this dish at Emeril's. I loved it. And Mother's may be full of tourists but it's pretty great.

A little joint that had great fried chicken is Coop's Place not too far from the French Market. Might be a bit divey for some.

The "divey-r" the place the better the soul food and homestyle cooking.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was tempted to have a "Po Man's Po Boy" today. French Fries, American Cheese, Roast Beef Gravy with lettuce, tomato and pickle on the hoagie roll.

It was too decadent for lunch. A Po Boy like that deserves to only be eaten between 3:00am and 6:00am and deserves to be eaten over some great stories that shouldn't ever be posted on FB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom