Tailgating at BC | The Boneyard

Tailgating at BC

Reaction Score
I'm planning my trip to Chestnut Hill for the BC game in October. Could anyone familiar with their tailgating situation help me understand how it works? Do I have to buy a ticket to park, and if so, where should I go?

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
I'm planning my trip to Chestnut Hill for the BC game in October. Could anyone familiar with their tailgating situation help me understand how it works? Do I have to buy a ticket to park, and if so, where should I go?
Unfortunately unless things have changed you guys might be out of luck. I looked into this a few years ago when we played there last time and gave up. From all the info I could find, tailgating is only allowed on campus, in order to tailgate you need to have on campus parking, in order to get on campus parking you have to make a sizeable donation to their scholarship fund and in order to even be eligible you need to be a season ticket holder. Tailgater Guide: Boston College

Reaction Score
Unfortunately unless things have changed you guys might be out of luck. I looked into this a few years ago when we played there last time and gave up. From all the info I could find, tailgating is only allowed on campus, in order to tailgate you need to have on campus parking, in order to get on campus parking you have to make a sizeable donation to their scholarship fund and in order to even be eligible you need to be a season ticket holder. Tailgater Guide: Boston College
And people say our stadium situation is bad

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, ZOOCONN is correct. People complain about UConn prices, but BC tailgating requires a donation to the Flynn Fund and the minimum donation for a tailgating spot is ~$1500 per season and you could pay $10k per year or more. For visiting fans, BC is the worst college football experience, unless you have BC friends that have a tailgating spot. (Years ago, it was not as bad.)

Below is the link for BC/UConn parking options for visitors and the Flynn Fund on-campus football parking map (with pricing). You could tailgate in the Comm Ave. garage for $400, but no grilling is allowed. My suggestion would be to buy a parking pass in Waul House parking lot for $75 which is close to the stadium. It is a non-tailgating parking lot, but you can just drag your beer and food to a patch of lawn in a tailgating area that allows you to eat and drink. You could park in Lower Brighton for $50 which is a no tailgating spot and try to drag your stuff to a location that allows tailgating. The other visitor lots are non-tailgating and you have to take a shuttle bus to campus.

All that said, you can try to sneak onto a tailgating spot on campus, but it is not easy and I think you have to be pretty early. One of my BC friends uses the same spot for every game and they do not have a parking pass. We have joined them by parking at the Riverside T station and taking the T to Chestnut Hill or Reservoir stations.

UConn Game Day Parking

Seating and Parking | Boston College | Flynn Fund

Reaction Score
Can we commandeer a bar for the day? This is the only game I can attend all year. If possible, I would like to join a friendly tailgate if someone extend a spot for 2-3 people.

Reaction Score
If it is not a noon kickoff, then you can spend a day in Boston, go to a bar, etc.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, ZOOCONN is correct. People complain about UConn prices, but BC tailgating requires a donation to the Flynn Fund and the minimum donation for a tailgating spot is ~$1500 per season and you could pay $10k per year or more. For visiting fans, BC is the worst college football experience, unless you have BC friends that have a tailgating spot. (Years ago, it was not as bad.)

Below is the link for BC/UConn parking options for visitors and the Flynn Fund on-campus football parking map (with pricing). You could tailgate in the Comm Ave. garage for $400, but no grilling is allowed. My suggestion would be to buy a parking pass in Waul House parking lot for $75 which is close to the stadium. It is a non-tailgating parking lot, but you can just drag your beer and food to a patch of lawn in a tailgating area that allows you to eat and drink. You could park in Lower Brighton for $50 which is a no tailgating spot and try to drag your stuff to a location that allows tailgating. The other visitor lots are non-tailgating and you have to take a shuttle bus to campus.

All that said, you can try to sneak onto a tailgating spot on campus, but it is not easy and I think you have to be pretty early. One of my BC friends uses the same spot for every game and they do not have a parking pass. We have joined them by parking at the Riverside T station and taking the T to Chestnut Hill or Reservoir stations.

UConn Game Day Parking

Seating and Parking | Boston College | Flynn Fund
Aside from the tailgating issues, how is the game experience generally there?

Reaction Score
Aside from the tailgating issues, how is the game experience generally there?
OK. Attendance is hit or miss depending on how BC is playing and who the opponent is. Holy Cross, UConn and FSU will be well attended this year. It seems like the big event for the students is the singing of Sweet Caroline and many will be wearing their gold superfan T Shirts. The big games are Clemson, Notre Dame, and the Red Bandana game and sometimes FSU. Fans are generally congenial to visiting fans.

Compared to the Rent, the seats are very cramped and not enough bathrooms. They do sell beer, but lines are long and food is mediocre to bad.

Band is solid.

Reaction Score
See the recommendations above and more. BC is not a easy place to tailgate. My experience of the best was the 2016 whooping we took but totally dominated their tailgate tent. Asked a BC family why they were having a most wonderful meal with UConn fans. The reply was because Uconn fans took it over.
My recommendation is a bus trip that includes a tailgate.
Same question here
See above. I will post what I can find for a group trip.
Where is our alumni association? They should rent space on campus and set up a huge tent.
The alumni association has absolutely no juice on another teams campus. Especially BC, you do realize this is an away game?

Reaction Score
Can we commandeer a bar for the day? This is the only game I can attend all year. If possible, I would like to join a friendly tailgate if someone extend a spot for 2-3 people.
BC dad here. There are no bars or any significant commercial developments within walking distance of the campus.

Reaction Score
I haven't been to BCU since DanO was playing. Back then the whole thing seemed impossible so we went to a bar next to a T stop.
Probably Cityside. Good choice, but get there early.

Reaction Score
@RCarlson627 - wanna chime in?

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Its a city campus more or less, what do you expect?
I'm a BC employee. Yes, there are space limits; however, the BC administration DOES NOT do much to support tailgating. I have more fun tailgating before my son's pop warner games.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yeah BC doesn’t let you tailgate unless you have a 1520 SAT and a recommendation from a state representative

Reaction Score
BC dad here. There are no bars or any significant commercial developments within walking distance of the campus.
Cleveland Circle is about 1 mile to the stadium. I've gone to CitySide Tavern before games, but that would be tough if it's a noon game. Or, you can go to a bar on the Green Line B Line which drops you off at BC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom