Tailgate Menu for N.C.State Game... | The Boneyard

Tailgate Menu for N.C.State Game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Expecting close to 30 people for a friendly breakfast, so: Bacon & Egg sandwiches on Portuguese rolls, home fries, grits (YUCK!), breakfast sausages from Nowaks in Meriden, banana & cranberry-orange breads, fruit salad, assorted beverages. Haven't yet decided on menu for postgame. Side note: the Mrs. grew up in Columbia, S.C. She asked the relatives to bring up boiled peanuts, a southern tradition. Let's just say that they are an acquired taste & leave it at that. Oh, and when I discussed the menu with the son & asked for suggestions with a southern flair, he blurted out KFC.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
C'mon.

Boiled peanuts are delicious, especially if cooked with some cajun seasoning.

I don't know how well they'll hold up over a day or two if they're being transported from SC. You can make them pretty easy at home the night before the game though. Biggest rookie mistake is to buy dry roasted peanuts and boiling them. Gotta buy them raw.

As for grits, try 'em with some cheddar or smoked guoda cheese. Or, if you really want to get under the skin of the southern branch of your family, put sugar on your grits. That'll fire them up.

Reaction Score
Expecting close to 30 people for a friendly breakfast, so: Bacon & Egg sandwiches on Portuguese rolls, home fries, grits (YUCK!), breakfast sausages from Nowaks in Meriden, banana & cranberry-orange breads, fruit salad, assorted beverages. Haven't yet decided on menu for postgame. Side note: the Mrs. grew up in Columbia, S.C. She asked the relatives to bring up boiled peanuts, a southern tradition. Let's just say that they are an acquired taste & leave it at that. Oh, and when I discussed the menu with the son & asked for suggestions with a southern flair, he blurted out KFC.
Love KFC

Reaction Score
A little southern flare would be to add some biscuits and sausage gravy to the breakfast. If you want to make the grits a bit more appealing melt some cheese into the grits and add some tasso ham which is a southern spicy pork.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Come on coach, it's no question you gotta do carolina BBQ for the postgame.

Reaction Score
A little southern flare would be to add some biscuits and sausage gravy to the breakfast. If you want to make the grits a bit more appealing melt some cheese into the grits and add some tasso ham which is a southern spicy pork.
Rock, Bisquits & Sausage gravy are one of my wife's faves. Your suggestion on tasso is great (love it) but sometimes it's hard to find locally. But, you've sent me on another mission.

eidt: And keep us posted on the Kash-Man.

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
C'mon.

Boiled peanuts are delicious, especially if cooked with some cajun seasoning.

I don't know how well they'll hold up over a day or two if they're being transported from SC. You can make them pretty easy at home the night before the game though. Biggest rookie mistake is to buy dry roasted peanuts and boiling them. Gotta buy them raw.

As for grits, try 'em with some cheddar or smoked guoda cheese. Or, if you really want to get under the skin of the southern branch of your family, put sugar on your grits. That'll fire them up.

I grew up in Georgia and have to agree that boiled peanuts are delicious.... you can keep the grits though. I'll have some good hash browns instead

Reaction Score
If you can't find the Tasso or something similar, at least cook the grits in a combo of heavy cream, chicken broth and water. What they do with grits in Charleston (my favorite food city) is amazing.

Reaction Score
Just my daughter and me but we' ll add my morning standby to her Goldfish. A slice or 2 of bacon to season the pan then marinated sirloin tips with fresh peppers, onions and grape tomatos in a beef and sherry reduction. Add eggs on Portugese rolls. Maybe some bubbly (for me) with pineapple ice cubes and maraschino and a heavy dose of rock n' roll. Kick back and relax then she'll race me around the lot and win by a mile. Great time of year for pies so may throw in some dessert.

Reaction Score
We're keeping it simple w/ egg, and cheese sandwiches w/ either bacon or sausage - we'll have both - cheesy beakfast potatoes, bloody mary's, mamosa's, and beer.
Of course after reading this thread i now may have to add biscuits w/ honey, and grits to the list. I prefer mine with just butter, salt, and pepper (althought they are pretty good w/ cheese).

Reaction Score
My parents are both from the Columbia area....if they saw your post bashing grits AND boiled peanuts, a fist fight would also be on the menu. For the record, i love grits but you are being too kind to boiled peanuts....the inventor of that idea was a desperate person.

Reaction Score
As usual for our 12PM starts, it's breakfast sandwiches, Bloodies, and screwdrivers. Really, by the time u Finnish these sandwiches there isn't room for another ounce of anything! Grill up 1/4 thick Canadian bacon, take some of the fat & put it into the 5 inch nonstick pans and add two eggs in each. As the eggs r Finnishing, add some xtra sharp cheddar and lay it all out on an everything bagel. I think i lose 6 months off of my life every tailgate we make them, but it's worth it. For those of you who haven't tried Zing Zang Blody Mary mix, you need to find a packie near you that sells it! I stumbled across this gift from God 6years ago in Orlando on a golf trip. It's packed w/ pepper and spices unlike ANY store bought mix ever!

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, I could O.D. on a bucket of Extra Crispy, Mashed & Gravy, & Cole Slaw, but my Bozo was suggesting it for Breakfast.
The only thing better than KFC for breakfast is leftover cold pizza.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

My GF makes tremendous biscuits. I think sausage gravy and biscuits is a great idea, I wish I thought of it. No matter, I'm going to use it and claim it as my own at the tailgate. Thanks, Rock!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My GF makes tremendous biscuits. I think sausage gravy and biscuits is a great idea, I wish I thought of it. No matter, I'm going to use it and claim it as my own at the tailgate. Thanks, Rock!

Just remember to cook the sausage in the skillet first and use the fat from that to make your gravy.

Biscuits and gravy isn't for the weight watchers crowd.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Biscuits and gravy isn't for the weight watchers crowd.

Not a problem! You just save your points from the rest of the week!

And thanks for the gravy tip.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just remember to cook the sausage in the skillet first and use the fat from that to make your gravy.

I had to give you the follow-up, Chin. I went to the GF and said, "after I brown the sausage I'm going to use the fat to make the gravy."

I get the eyeroll followed by, "How else are you supposed to make it?" Thanks.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I had to give you the follow-up, Chin. I went to the GF and said, "after I brown the sausage I'm going to use the fat to make the gravy."

I get the eyeroll followed by, "How else are you supposed to make it?" Thanks.

Funny. Some recipes for the gravy call for starting from scratch and using anything from lard to butter for the fat.
But what on earth could possibly be better than liquified saturated fat from pigs and cows?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My menu consists of beer. Lots of beer.

And vodka.

You know what works after a tailgate of much food and beer (and vodka)? A nip of Blackberry Brandy just before you head in. Settles everything right down. Then you're ready for more beer!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You know what works after a tailgate of much food and beer (and vodka)? A nip of Blackberry Brandy just before you head in. Settles everything right down. Then you're ready for more beer!
Sage advice on the blackberry brandy.

Reaction Score
I just threw up a little in my mouth...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just threw up a little in my mouth...

You wouldn't have if you had a nip of BBB first. It sounds counterintuitive and I didn't believe it when a buddy told me about it, but it works. Like magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom