2023 Recruiting: - Tafara Gapare | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Tafara Gapare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nice article on the kid.

Syracuse in the Mix For Intriguing 6-10 Forward Tafara Gapare | Sports Illustrated Syracuse Orange News, Analysis and More

Reaction Score
May reclassify to 2022. Summer add?

“I have no timetable for any decisions,” he said. “ I have a lot of talking to do with my family and people around me to see if I want to go 2022 or 2023 especially with the transfer portal.”

For the school I do choose, I want a place where coaches are good with developing international players, and a brotherhood where everybody wants to get better everyday on and off the court.”

Reaction Score

“I have no timetable for any decisions,” he said. “ I have a lot of talking to do with my family and people around me to see if I want to go 2022 or 2023 especially with the transfer portal.”

For the school I do choose, I want a place where coaches are good with developing international players, and a brotherhood where everybody wants to get better everyday on and off the court.”

Worst case 2023 isn’t Tafara way.

Reaction Score
ideal. as opposed to chasing low ranked '22 guys i hope staff spend the majority of their time/resources this summer recruiting '23 guys that have the option of reclassifying. either we convince them to reclass or they dont but we've at least built a relationship and can keep recruiting them next year.

but throwing darts at borderline 3*s outside the top 250 seems like a waste of time unless UConn is their dream school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley loves preaching development so maybe this kid is a good match for us.

Reaction Score
He's not a 2023 prospect that might reclassify to 2022, he's a 2022 kid that might reclassify to 2023
"He's a 22, but because of the split transfer thing, he could come back and be a 23," Chillious said.
Seems like the perfect player that has big time skills but starving to improve vs the type of players we have on the roster. Real solid handle and open court play capability. I'd like him for our 2022 frontcourt depth piece.

Questions that come to mind.
Does the UConn staff have a positive relationship with Chillious?
There was a rumor a month ago about an international prospect, I suspect Gapare might have been the prospect?
What is our interest in Kante? Does he have an offer from us? He is a player I haven't seen if anybody has an opinion about his play.

Reaction Score
He's not a 2023 prospect that might reclassify to 2022, he's a 2022 kid that might reclassify to 2023
"He's a 22, but because of the split transfer thing, he could come back and be a 23," Chillious said.
Seems like the perfect player that has big time skills but starving to improve vs the type of players we have on the roster. Real solid handle and open court play capability. I'd like him for our 2022 frontcourt depth piece.

Questions that come to mind.
Does the UConn staff have a positive relationship with Chillious?
There was a rumor a month ago about an international prospect, I suspect Gapare might have been the prospect?
What is our interest in Kante? Does he have an offer from us? He is a player I haven't seen if anybody has an opinion about his play.
I've only seen a little of Kante, not enough to make an evaluation. Interestingly, Kante and Griffiths are making their visits together. They visited Rutgers together and will visit Michigan together in June.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score

Wonder if he is the international prospect that an insider or two mentioned?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have to think we’re a pretty good fit to this quote.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Decent athleticism but feet look a little slow, even against bad competition. No left hand.

That said, for 6’9” he looks like he has a fantastic baseline skill set to develop. Between his ability to shoot from deep and good defense. Would be a fantastic depth piece for us next year and looks like he has tons of upside potential.

His tape kind of reminds me a bit of Roscoe Smith (as the most recent comp).

Just curious what he is looking for next year in terms of PT. We obviously have minutes that can be earned, but nothing guaranteed.

Reaction Score
Skill set reminds me of McGrady
I agree he shows some of McGrady's skill set but he doesn't have McGrady's explosion. In fact, I was surprised he didn't dunk on at least three of the highlights. Given that, I loved his passing and court awareness. He reminds me a bit too of Josh Giddey who he may have shared coaches with as well as Andre.

Reaction Score
Sanogo seems to be developing just fine. :)

But I think he was referring more to the 2nd part of that quote from Gapare.
Agreed - Sanogo is doing fine. Akok not (though theres a valid excuse there). Kind of a toss up, so hopefully that doesn't hurt us with him too much.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't really call Akok an international player. He moved to the US when he was a kid.
I was going to say the same. Akok was a little kid (like 4 years old I think) when he came here with his parents and settled in Manchester, NH so I wouldn't consider him an international player. Sanogo came here as a teenager from Mali to attend high school at Our Savior New American School on Long Island and then went to The Patrick School. His family still lives in Mali. So I would consider him an international player. When was the last real international player we had before Sanogo? Thabeet? I'm probably missing someone but I'm drawing a blank.

Reaction Score
I was going to say the same. Akok was a little kid (like 4 years old I think) when he came here with his parents and settled in Manchester, NH so I wouldn't consider him an international player. Sanogo came here as a teenager from Mali to attend high school at Our Savior New American School on Long Island and then went to The Patrick School. His family still lives in Mali. So I would consider him an international player. When was the last real international player we had before Sanogo? Thabeet? I'm probably missing someone but I'm drawing a blank.

Giffey? Wolfe? Tolksdorf?

1 out of 3 ain't bad

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Decent athleticism but feet look a little slow, even against bad competition. No left hand.

That said, for 6’9” he looks like he has a fantastic baseline skill set to develop. Between his ability to shoot from deep and good defense. Would be a fantastic depth piece for us next year and looks like he has tons of upside potential.

His tape kind of reminds me a bit of Roscoe Smith (as the most recent comp).

Just curious what he is looking for next year in terms of PT. We obviously have minutes that can be earned, but nothing guaranteed.
Very interesting comparison. BTW, does his rebounding remind you of Roscoe who we used predominately as a power forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom