Tactical Error on Dawn's Part | The Boneyard

Tactical Error on Dawn's Part

Reaction Score
Uconn was packing the post on defense with their guards having open shot opportunities if they so chose. Dawn only gave Cuevas 19 minutes who shoots 41.5% on 3's in favor Harris who is a better point guard with 34 minutes yet shoots 27.9% from three. Once UConn showed that defense, I think Dawn should have switched her point guard strategy.

And, this team simply amazes me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Uconn was packing the post on defense with their guards having open shot opportunities if they so chose. Dawn only gave Cuevas 19 minutes who shoots 41.5% on 3's in favor Harris who is a better point guard with 34 minutes yet shoots 27.9% from three. Once UConn showed that defense, I think Dawn should have switched her point guard strategy.

GP. I wondered about that too. Cuevas can be good & she can be bad, but once UConn started to control the game, it really was time for Dawn to put her in and let her fire away from the arc.

Reaction Score
Plus if her posts are so good give the guards a green light to shoot, and get offensive rebounds. It's like a pass to the post you could score on.

Reaction Score
I though Dawn's game strategy was pretty solid. Go deep into the shot clock to make us play a lot of defense, and then kick out to the point guard for an open three if there they can't get it into the post. The problem is that there was no follow through. One of the analysts, and I can't remember whether is was Lobo or Lawson, made a great point that is easy to start a game with discipline around our game plan, but very hard to execute that way over the course of the entire game.

The tactical error I thought Dawn did make was that when Napheesa and Lou got into foul trouble around mid-game, they did not adjust to exploit that in time for it to make a difference. We seemed so vulnerable, and I was stunned that they continued to emphasize their perimeter game at that point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Cuevas is irresponsible with the ball. Dawn had the right lineup and tactics. They lost the game due to poor stamina. They were dead on their feet at the end of the 2nd quarter. UConn made runs at the end of the 2nd and 3rd quarters and that was the margin of victory.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Cuevas is irresponsible with the ball. Dawn had the right lineup and tactics. They lost the game due to poor stamina. They were dead on their feet at the end of the 2nd quarter. UConn made runs at the end of the 2nd and 3rd quarters and that was the margin of victory.

Agree
There was one transition play, still in the first half where unexpectedly, UConn swept in for a layup
Where was the D?
Geno's kids may be tired (he said)
But the difference in conditioning appears enormous.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
its embarrassing when you can leave a player open to shoot a jumper and they don't attempt it... it was done Kalana Greene, Ketia Swanier and Tiff Hayes and they learned to make the other team pay. I wish Gabby would get to that point as well.

I'd take my chances with Bianca turnovers and possible outside shooting... especially if thats kind of the last option. "Oh Well"

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Cuevas-Moore is a better offensive player, but tends to play out of control for stretches of the game when she's a PG. Dawn thought Harris point guard skills were more important since the plan was to get the ball to A'ja Wilson and Alaina Coates. If Kaela Davis shoots 40% instead of going 1 - 10 Dawn's strategy probably pays off as it would have opened up low post more. Cuevas-Moore played 19 minutes without getting an assist. So Carolina had 11 assists on their 20 made baskets, while UConn had 20 on their 26 baskets. Geno runs a better system that gets more players involved in the offense.

Reaction Score

umm, put Cuevas in and Geno just changes how they are defending SC. Play up on Cuevas instead and make her drive and kick, she has a bad assist/turnover ratio. You're likely to get some turnovers out of her...

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I concur on the statement on stamina. I think UCONN is in far better condition than their opposition, perhaps out of necessity given the thin bench. When Coates sat and then Wilson sat I said now's the time to put the hammer down. As to Staley's game plan, it works when your even but once they were down it was time to change and she was slow to respond. Agree on the Cuevas contention - she's your best option from outside the arc and they needed points and by the time they let her loose it was too late. And, they either abandoned getting the ball inside or UCONN's defense didn't permit it, making the time consuming perimeter shot the lone option.

Reaction Score
The worst tactical error Dawn made was not foreseeing Gabbie Williams.
Planning for known for forces is fine, but Gabby's come up under the radar.
Gabbie beat SC. Of course she had some fine assistance, but SC had answers for everything EXCEPT Gabbie.

Reaction Score
Funny how all coaches seem to make tactical errors against UCONN's staff.
NO ONE makes adjustments as well as the UConn staff. Wilson's second-half statistics and her demonstrated frustration are measurable, visible proof of coaching skill that pinpoints the capabilities of a gang of feisty smalls to beat down the spirit of a larger, talented opponent.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think Staley understands what UConn does and why it works very well.

"I think movement: ball movement, player movement, a lot of activity," Staley said. "They do a really good job of reading defenses. So they're not really looking at what their teammates are doing, they're looking at what the defense is doing. And that's a really hard concept for young people to see because they only see their teammates, they don't see the opposing jerseys. And once you advance to that where you're just seeing defense, the ball will tell you where to go. I think UConn does a really good job at teaching that."
When Geno was coaching the Olympic team for the first time, he tried to employ that read and react mentality with the team. Diana took him aside and told him that he can't do that, that the team wasn't UConn. Instead she told him to draw up a play and give it a name and the pros on the team would execute it.

Last night Geno said that UConn was struggling with deciding how to attack SC. Either Shea or Marissa said, it's not working, pick something and tell them to go with it. In the end Geno took two plays and ran them and the team grew more and more comfortable and took over the game.

The take away for me is that Geno teaches the game at a very high, very cerebral level. But he has the experience (and the staff) to change things up when needed. Excellent preparation, plus great game coaching is a tough to overcome. That probably matters more than 'Geno gets all the all-Americans."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wilson and Coates need to be on floor as much as possible. Wilson needs to play as close to forty minutes as possible. Also both need to be in better condition.

Reaction Score
its embarrassing when you can leave a player open to shoot a jumper and they don't attempt it.. it was done Kalana Greene, Ketia Swanier and Tiff Hayes and they learned to make the other team pay. I wish Gabby would get to that point as well.

I'd take my chances with Bianca turnovers and possible outside shooting.. especially if thats kind of the last option. "Oh Well"
Gabby was hitting her outside shots much more reliably, earlier in the season. But I have no complaints. It is only ....if Gabby and Napheesa become dangerous outside shooters, no one will have a chance against us. remember, Moriah didn't become a deadly three point shooter until Junior year.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
The worst tactical error Dawn made was not foreseeing Gabbie Williams.
Planning for known for forces is fine, but Gabby's come up under the radar.
Gabbie beat SC. Of course she had some fine assistance, but SC had answers for everything EXCEPT Gabbie.

I won't disagree; you could be right. But... if Dawn was unaware of Gabby after seeing the vid of Gabby vs. ND, then Dawn is not thinking clearly.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Staley specifically said in the article above that they wanted to use the shot clock as much as possible, making UConn defend for long periods and---not said by her---limit UConn's possessions. Thought this worked as well as possible for them as they made numerous shots as the 30-second clock expired or got fouled. Think in a game with more rhythm and less deliberate holding onto the ball UConn wins by 25+.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The problem with Cuevas is Cuevas giveth and Cuevas taketh away. Sure, some of the shots she hit last night were successful, but her history in big games is more like what she did at the end of the first half. That is throwing away the ball with seconds left in the half for a UConn plus one. Dawn probably felt she couldn't afford her inconsistent play.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Dawn'.s error was taking Lou out of the offense for us and not knowing/ anticipating the skill of the other 4 players - Gabby, Pheesa, Kia and Saniya. Gabby ran circles around SC's bigs. They couldn't defender her. When our ball movement improved, Pheesa became unguardable by SC.

SC did not defend our guard play very well. Crystal Dangerfield, especially, caused havoc with her passing. Saniya was rock when Kia went down with the ankle.

With UConn you have to defend all 5 straight up.

Reaction Score
I won't disagree; you could be right. But.. if Dawn was unaware of Gabby after seeing the vid of Gabby vs. ND, then Dawn is not thinking clearly.
Not sure Dawn thinks clearly anyway. She doesn't read defenses, she recruits players that are, "Too cool for school." Wilson and Coates have this weird attitude. It seems they think the best way to win is to (not read defenses) but dominate with size.

Did you watch Wilson towards the end? She was throwing elbows, body blows and shoving everyone with a UConn jersey on. Total collateral damage to her baby temper tantrum. When Gabbie stole a rebound out of Coates hands (from above) Coates never recovered from the blow to her mind.

Reaction Score
Dawn'.s error was taking Lou out of the offense for us and not knowing/ anticipating the skill of the other 4 players - Gabby, Pheesa, Kia and Saniya. Gabby ran circles around SC's bigs. They couldn't defender her. When our ball movement improved, Pheesa became unguardable by SC.

SC did not defend our guard play very well. Crystal Dangerfield, especially, caused havoc with her passing. Saniya was rock when Kia went down with the ankle.

With UConn you have to defend all 5 straight up.

I agree but UCONN shot well under their average from the field and from 3. But Staley didn't adjust defensively in the second half. I thought playing man to man while you guys are shooting just as bad as us from the arc wasn't smart. A zone would have prevented a lot of driving lanes for Collier and Williams, and should have made their guards shoot and miss just like UCONN made our guards shoot and miss.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom