T-Swift - UConn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

T-Swift - UConn

Reaction Score
I don't know her music but I looked up the two songs you posted and I've heard them enough that I could practically sing along. It's just background noise but if you're at Walgreens, the doctors office, basically any office building or store you can't help but hear her songs. Her songs are definitely catchy, am I right that she was country when she started out and has moved away from that?

Yeah she started out doing that sort of country-pop stuff that most people with taste hate. Her sound has definitely changed over the years but it's not anything you'd call "high art." It is genuinely shocking how popular she is among - in my experience - teen girls. Very cult-like. I think they feel like she's one of them, seemingly very approachable, and has basically conquered the music industry. My kid would drive a truck over me for the chance to meet her. I got her and my wife tickets for one of her shows at SoFi and I don't think I've ever seen her as excited about anything in her life. (Bonus: I got to have a buddy over and drink and smoke a joint by the pool.) On the flip side, my older kid (who has, in my opinion, better taste, can't stand her.

Reaction Score

It is absolutely one of her most popular songs. It's also garbage. Count me among the many who had no idea this was a Providence thing, but I admittedly mute the games the first time through most times.

Reaction Score
I understand that a song called the Star Spangled Banner is played and sung before games at other schools, including at games of some of our most hated rivals. Unless UConn was the first to use this song, I think we need to find something more original.

Reaction Score
How many people at Gampel knew that Providence’s crowd does it too? Over/under 25%? I’ll take the under

How many people on this forum knew that Providence does it? I sure didn’t

The DJ played a song and everyone was drunk and happy so they sang along. Is it really worth any more thought than that? Lmao
This is the best post in the thread.

My daughter goes there and was at the game with her friends. None of them have ever been to the Dunk or watch PC games. It was $2 beer night. That’s it.

Reaction Score
This song does genuinely get played everywhere. Like I said, if we played it and had the lyrics up on the jumbotron and kept the lyrics past the timeout and had MC encouragement to sing along, I'd get it. I'd think it was cringe too. But it's just a really popular song. It's like being surprised people sing Mr Brightside at every event nowadays and that song is 10x less popular

Reaction Score
The song is 16 years old but she had to re-release all of her music due to a rights issue and she got a lot of popularity back because of it. By "everywhere" I mean "everywhere"

Radio, stores, bars, weddings, pretty much any public place.

Reaction Score
That’s not truth. I was in the building. You weren’t. That was the 4th of 4 songs they played a snippet of and the crowd sang along with all of them.

But I totally understand how it feels to have us dominate, win titles, leave then come back to dominate again while you sit in your filthy puddle of mediocrity. Knowing you’ll never in a 100 years accomplish what we have.

Reaction Score
Yeah she started out doing that sort of country-pop stuff that most people with taste hate. Her sound has definitely changed over the years but it's not anything you'd call "high art." It is genuinely shocking how popular she is among - in my experience - teen girls. Very cult-like. I think they feel like she's one of them, seemingly very approachable, and has basically conquered the music industry. My kid would drive a truck over me for the chance to meet her. I got her and my wife tickets for one of her shows at SoFi and I don't think I've ever seen her as excited about anything in her life. (Bonus: I got to have a buddy over and drink and smoke a joint by the pool.) On the flip side, my older kid (who has, in my opinion, better taste, can't stand her.
Teen girls and FriarJ

Reaction Score
The video has 1.5 billion views.

Anything with that level of popularity being played anywhere shouldn't surprise anyone. Mall food courts aren't stealing the song from PC either.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
This is really occupying your attention.

caw

Reaction Score

Her music gets played everywhere, she is just that popular. I honestly didn't even know about the PC thing until this thread. I also have no clue who does music for timeouts at UConn games, so maybe they were copying PC. Maybe not. Who knows. Go find that person and complain.

Reaction Score
Perhaps a good way to navigate these treacherous waters is for UConn to adopt "You Belong To Me" by Carly Simon?

Reaction Score
The crowd also sang Mr Brightside at the Creighton game. With all due respect, why would UConn want to copy anything PC does? Was Taylor Swift the player to be named later in the Corey Floyd deal? Most people aren't even aware of your "tradition." Just drunk kids doing what drunk kids do. I don't think it was an organized endeavor. I think singing a Swift song is lame but I'm 52, not 19 years old. When I was in college most people liked music with some edge. Can't think of music with less of an edge than Taylor Swift but she is the hugely popular even if I don't get it. My parents didn't understand Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and Megadeth but at least it was worthy of youthful rebellion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom