Syracuse | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Syracuse

Reaction Score
Watched some of Clemson-BC. The Eagles competed hard but Clemson just has way better athletes at every spot. They looked very ordinary and not what you’d expect from the 17th team in the country. UCF would definitely beat them.

BC's a good team. It didn't help that they lost starting quarterback on the first drive of the game. I was really impressed with their defense and thought they were well coached overall.

It's just that, there's not much separation between teams 15 and 50. Pick a random team from any P5 conference and tell me what makes BC better than a toss-up on a neutral field. Oklahoma State? Texas Tech? Cal? They've just played an easier schedule.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see uconn go down to clemson and have the lead with a minute left in the game. No moral victory SU can beat elite teams.

Look bud they're a nice story, I'm not trying to take anything away. I just thought it was relevant that they've yet to beat anyone of note. Wouldn't be surprised to see them give Notre Dame a game as they're also overrated.

Reaction Score
BC and Syracuse saw how quickly UConn became competitive in the BCS/Big East era and got nervous. Then the two fought to keep UConn out so that they could go back to the "old ways" (Old Money Club).

I'm curious where you read this conspiracy theory that BC and Syracuse kept UConn out of a P5 conference... Was it while Syracuse was still a member of the Big East, they blackmailed the ACC and Big Ten to pick Syracuse, Rutgers, WVU, and Louisville, over UConn? Or did those conference make their own, independent, educated, researched, long-term strategic decisions?

I think their unwillingness to compete against UConn will drive eyeballs away from college football TV sets in the highly coveted northeast region.

SU's unwillingness, including playing @ UConn in 2016 and @ SU in 2018? And agreeing to play UConn in basketball almost every year in what UConn calls their home arena?

Reaction Score
I'm curious where you read this conspiracy theory that BC and Syracuse kept UConn out of a P5 conference... Was it while Syracuse was still a member of the Big East, they blackmailed the ACC and Big Ten to pick Syracuse, Rutgers, WVU, and Louisville, over UConn? Or did those conference make their own, independent, educated, researched, long-term strategic decisions?

SU's unwillingness, including playing @ UConn in 2016 and @ SU in 2018? And agreeing to play UConn in basketball almost every year in what UConn calls their home arena?

BC has undoubtedly made a concerted effort to keep UConn out of the ACC. Whether it was in their interest to do so isn't really the point.

Syracuse is a lesser offender, but they still helped deal the final blow to the conference they founded and changed the direction of college sports forever. Maybe they felt their hand was forced, I don't know. It's still nothing but a short-sighted, selfish move no matter how you slice it.

Reaction Score
Syracuse is a lesser offender, but they still helped deal the final blow to the conference they founded and changed the direction of college sports forever. Maybe they felt their hand was forced, I don't know. It's still nothing but a short-sighted, selfish move no matter how you slice it.

Got a nice chuckle from this one.

There was nothing short-sighted about our move to the ACC. And what you call selfish, we called self-preservation.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

ACC invitation accepted then! Thanks Syracuse!

Reaction Score

There was nothing short-sighted about our move to the ACC. And what you call selfish, we called self-preservation.

Other colleges embrace a strong, regional rivalry (USC & UCLA, Texas & Oklahoma, Alabama & Auburn, Michigan & Ohio St.) as such rivalries drive interest, which generates revenue, which makes a better program. Syracuse ran from it. That's called fear.

Reaction Score

You're conference record is 17-31 since you moved to the ACC. Once Dungey graduates and Babers gets poached by someone at the adult table, you'll be right back to the punching bag you were before. And make no mistake - you're not that good now.

It's short-sighted because it was another domino in a sequence of events that will make amateurism increasingly difficult to justify, and, by extension, fracture college sports irreparably. The closest school in your league is over 300 miles away. That's impractical by any interpretation, and while you might reap the benefits of a more lucrative TV contract in the near future, you've chosen to partake in a model that will fail long-term.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to blame Syracuse for the ACC fiasco. They had to accept the lifeline, just as we would have. BC and slippery Gene Di is the real culprit here. Not sure what the initial attraction was for the ACC, excepting having the Boston market for television purposes. Syracuse never blocked us, BC did.

Reaction Score
BC has undoubtedly made a concerted effort to keep UConn out of the ACC. Whether it was in their interest to do so isn't really the point.

We would have done the same given the opportunity.

Reaction Score
Just when I didn't think it was possible for Syracuse, down 29-0 in the fourth quarter, to look any more pathetic, they sheepishly trot out their FG team on fourth and goal from the five.

Then, of course, they missed the kick, because the football Gods couldn't let an act that petty go unpunished.

Quite the week for those hooligans. First they bring their nationally ranked basketball program in to get tuned up a couple times, then their football program takes to a different part of the city to get their faces re-arranged.

As I'm typing, they bring out their kicker again, on 4th and goal, against Notre Dame's second team defense. Even Brian Kelly is appalled by the flagrant lack of self-respect. He seems disappointed, as if he thought he'd scheduled men.

36-3 your final. What a stain on the country. Don't come back to the city again unless you have something better to offer - lodging doesn't come cheap this time of year, and I'd rather not book the precious remaining real estate to a burning corpse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom