Syracuse | The Boneyard

Syracuse

Reaction Score
So clearly Petrino has stayed too long at the bar and Cuse has really hit a home run with Babers. The year we were excluded from the ACC we were beating Louisville in football on the road who was chosen. Tonight Cuse ranked #13 does not have a sellout for a league game INDOORS on a Friday night. We had a winning record against Cuse when we were excluded. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:Head bang

Reaction Score
If Dino Babers stays 5+ more years, he could easily turn Syracuse into a consistent top 15 team. Once he gets another 1 or 2 more solid recruiting classes and has a team full of his hand picked recruits, they can contend every year for second place in the ACC behind Clemson.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
If Dino Babers stays 5+ more years, he could easily turn Syracuse into a consistent top 15 team. Once he gets another 1 or 2 more solid recruiting classes and has a team full of his hand picked recruits, they can contend every year for second place in the ACC behind Clemson.

My guess is he will get a higher paying gig in the next year or two and will leave Syracuse "better known as the ugly Dome in the north".

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
My guess is he will get a higher paying gig in the next year or two and will leave Syracuse "better known as the ugly Dome in the north".

I would guess he is gone this year....for a big coaching gig. Like Ohio St big.

Reaction Score
The Babers hire probably saved Syracuse football from decades of irrelevance. Really wish we could hire someone like that here.
Hire someone with an offensive philosophy at UConn? Pfft.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Yeah, I know. We can't play offense here because of rain and small hands. Ugh.

Reaction Score
Syracuse and BC football thriving. UConn all but left for dead.

It's almost as if this is what was intended to happen.
They’re having decent years. Haven’t always been like this. And I will never watch either one again. So much for owning the Northeast.

Reaction Score
I have it from a solid source that Coach Babers is the lowest paid coach in the ACC with little or no "buy out' provision. Babers is 57 years old. I understand that if the University of Syracuse does not provide a substantial salary increase after the season that Babers will be glad to listen to alternate offers.

Given the fact that he has completely turned around the Syracuse program with largely 2* and 3* players I believe he will have a list of suiters willing to belly up with a large contract.

Think USC.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

One of the dumbest takes out of the Diaco disaster was anything pertaining to questioning his hiring.

The guy was a nutcase who didn't work out, but that didn't mean UConn had to go to full on bland vanilla.

Find a happy medium, jfc

Reaction Score
I have it from a solid source that Coach Babers is the lowest paid coach in the ACC with little or no "buy out' provision. Babers is 57 years old. I understand that if the University of Syracuse does not provide a substantial salary increase after the season that Babers will be glad to listen to alternate offers.

Given the fact that he has completely turned around the Syracuse program with largely 2* and 3* players I believe he will have a list of suiters willing to belly up with a large contract.

Think USC.

He's not last but close.

>>Despite that placement there isn't a huge gap between Babers and many of his ACC colleagues. Babers made $2.4 million in 2016, which was the number used by USA Today.

USA Today listed Babers' compensation within $200,000 of three other ACC coaches (North Carolina's Larry Fedora, Duke's David Cutcliffe and Boston College's Steve Addazio).

That same compensation would have ranked him 10th among ACC coaches if it was applied to last year's USA Today database, ahead of Clawson and Fedora, as well as Pittsburgh's Pat Narduzzi and North Carolina State's Dave Doeren.<<

Be interesting to see if Syracuse ponies up to get him into the next tier in the ACC (the all but Dabo tier).

Reaction Score

Think USC.
Wait....I thought it was impossible to turn a program around with 2* and 3* recruits in less than five years.

Reaction Score
Syracuse and BC football thriving. UConn all but left for dead.

It's almost as if this is what was intended to happen.
Add in that Pitt is likely headed to the ACC Championship Game for the trifecta.

Reaction Score
I'm still not convinced that Syracuse is good. They're a lot like BC in that they've beaten a lot of bad teams without really knocking off anyone of note.

I know the rankings are always pretty useless, but this year that's especially true. The ACC is horrible this season outside of Clemson. Congrats to those two schools on being in the right place at the right time, but anyone who thinks this suggests any sort of resurgence is kidding themselves. They're still rosters of plodding stiffs that would get buried in a real league.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I'm still not convinced that Syracuse is good. They're a lot like BC in that they've beaten a lot of bad teams without really knocking off anyone of note.

I know the rankings are always pretty useless, but this year that's especially true. The ACC is horrible this season outside of Clemson. Congrats to those two schools on being in the right place at the right time, but anyone who thinks this suggests any sort of resurgence is kidding themselves. They're still rosters of plodding stiffs that would get buried in a real league.
Watched some of Clemson-BC. The Eagles competed hard but Clemson just has way better athletes at every spot. They looked very ordinary and not what you’d expect from the 17th team in the country. UCF would definitely beat them.

Reaction Score

I'd love to see uconn go down to clemson and have the lead with a minute left in the game. No moral victory SU can beat elite teams.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
BC and Syracuse saw how quickly UConn became competitive in the BCS/Big East era and got nervous. Then the two fought to keep UConn out so that they could go back to the "old ways" (Old Money Club). It worked. But in the process, I think their unwillingness to compete against UConn will drive eyeballs away from college football TV sets in the highly coveted northeast region. Northeast is so densely populated that competition is a good thing to drive interest in this region.

Reaction Score
BC and Syracuse saw how quickly UConn became competitive in the BCS/Big East era and got nervous. Then the two fought to keep UConn out so that they could go back to the "old ways" (Old Money Club). It worked. But in the process, I think their unwillingness to compete against UConn will drive eyeballs away from college football TV sets in the highly coveted northeast region. Northeast is so densely populated that competition is a good thing to drive interest in this region.
All that's missing is a tinfoil hat. On a more serious note SU football has been on a steady rise and its showing with attendance (care to laugh at 42k for senior night again?) We can play with just about anyone with a roster full of unranked and 3 star players. Wait and see how they do when Dino starts reeling in some of these high 4 star caliber kids and maybe a 5 star if he's very lucky. Kids are taking notice. The dome is the perfect place for Dino's system, and the AD is always in contact with Babers, not worried about him leaving.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom