Syracuse, the new Beast in the East! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Syracuse, the new Beast in the East!

Reaction Score
What is this thread about? Maybe I'm slow, but what prompted it, is Syracuse recruiting great??

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Don’t get upset, just trying to educate you. The “lake effect” lanket vebdepends heavily on the wind direction as well as the time of year during late Fall to late Winter. Did you know that Syracuse is also the “thunder snow” capitol of the world? Theirs is of course a reason for that.
Believe me I don’t get upset about Syracuse or the lake effect. t,Does the Syracuse area typically get more snow than most of CT of course. But it ain’t Buffalo. And one of my grandkids goes to U of Buffalo and when I see the national weather says Buffalo is being clobbered, he tells me that was true 10 miles away. Not all the time, but it’s not always like a blanket as the news might lead one to believe and as I imagined until a few years ago. I’ve been on Rt. 17 through the Catskills (love that road) numerous times during the winter when Syracuse has had some snow and pretty often there has been no or little snow on the ground and only noticeable nearer to Cortland on 81.

In any case, SU hoops ain’t what it was but I would rather have their football at the moment, snow or no snow.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You must be proud of your son. That’s really cool snd a heck of an accomplishment. No offense meant. Still I’ll stand by the city of Syracuse is a hopeless dump. The snow bands are really funny up there. 2 feet in once place and 20 miles away a dusting.
Yeah. BTW, he isn’t an SU prof, he is in the SUNY system. And I agree that SU is a dump, but it makes the bars and restaurants pretty lively. There are actually some decent things to do around the area, but more in warm weather.

Reaction Score
Believe me I don’t get upset about Syracuse or the lake effect. t,Does the Syracuse area typically get more snow than most of CT of course. But it ain’t Buffalo. And one of my grandkids goes to U of Buffalo and when I see the national weather says Buffalo is being clobbered, he tells me that was true 10 miles away. Not all the time, but it’s not always like a blanket as the news might lead one to believe and as I imagined until a few years ago. I’ve been on Rt. 17 through the Catskills (love that road) numerous times during the winter when Syracuse has had some snow and pretty often there has been no or little snow on the ground and only noticeable nearer to Cortland on 81.

In any case, SU hoops ain’t what it was but I would rather have their football at the moment, snow or no snow.
Yeah. BTW, he isn’t an SU prof, he is in the SUNY system. And I agree that SU is a dump, but it makes the bars and restaurants pretty lively. There are actually some decent things to do around the area, but more in warm weather.

Is he @ ESF?

Reaction Score
You must be proud of your son. That’s really cool snd a heck of an accomplishment. No offense meant. Still I’ll stand by the city of Syracuse is a hopeless dump. The snow bands are really funny up there. 2 feet in once place and 20 miles away a dusting.
Syracuse has more going on than Hartford, especially with restaurants.

Reaction Score
What is this thread about? Maybe I'm slow, but what prompted it, is Syracuse recruiting great??

With Lake Erie, Buffalo can get dumped on, but it’s rare, and usually happens only in early Winter or late Fall for some good reasons. This happens when cold winds blowing due west or even slightly SW come onshore into Buffalo. By far the snowiest Lake effect is just to the north, northeast and northwest of Syracuse. All the 1/2 hr, 1 hour, and 12 hour records were set in that area. The UP of Michigan can also get dumped on but it’s not as common due to some geographical and climatological factors. As for SU hoops, I hate to say it but it hasn’t been the same since nose-picker left.

Reaction Score
Experienced it driving a truck near Watertown. Cold air over unfrozen lake. 5 miles further inland was blue skies.

Reaction Score
They hired some corner back coach and good recruiter off of Georgias staff and apparently he is off to a nice start recruiting or portal or what not.
I could see them winning 8-9 games, maybe crack top 25 in the next year or two and then he gets big money from some BIG or SEC school.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
With Lake Erie, Buffalo can get dumped on, but it’s rare, and usually happens only in early Winter or late Fall for some good reasons. This happens when cold winds blowing due west or even slightly SW come onshore into Buffalo. By far the snowiest Lake effect is just to the north, northeast and northwest of Syracuse. All the 1/2 hr, 1 hour, and 12 hour records were set in that area. The UP of Michigan can also get dumped on but it’s not as common due to some geographical and climatological factors.
Funny you mention that. One of my other sons went to UM. He said he wanted warmer weather but took UM over UVA. He liked UM sports and was a year behind the Fab Five.

My Syracuse son did his Phd and post doc at VTech. If you want a place that doesn’t know how to handle a blizzard, we were visiting him when they got hit by a blizzard that also paralyzed DC. Blacksburg schools are in a county system. By day 2 post storm Blacksburg streets were pretty good. If they were on their own schools could’ve opened. But the county was so bad, schools were closed for 9 days.

We often flew there but that time had driven. On day 2 we headed home. Virginia did a great job with the roads. The normal 20-25 minute drive on I81 through WVA was, on the other hand, like a scene from Frozen. literally 100 yards into the state trucks down embankments, cars sliding over the road everywhere. We had to crawl. Crazy because they should be used to mountain snows. Maybe so poor they had to hire kids with shovels. As soon as we crossed in MD the roads were fine.

Syracuse does know how to handle snow.

Reaction Score
Funny you mention that. One of my other sons went to UM. He said he wanted warmer weather but took UM over UVA. He liked UM sports and was a year behind the Fab Five.

My Syracuse son did his Phd and post doc at VTech. If you want a place that doesn’t know how to handle a blizzard, we were visiting him when they got hit by a blizzard that also paralyzed DC. Blacksburg schools are in a county system. By day 2 post storm Blacksburg streets were pretty good. If they were on their own schools could’ve opened. But the county was so bad, schools were closed for 9 days.

We often flew there but that time had driven. On day 2 we headed home. Virginia did a great job with the roads. The normal 20-25 minute drive on I81 through WVA was, on the other hand, like a scene from Frozen. literally 100 yards into the state trucks down embankments, cars sliding over the road everywhere. We had to crawl. Crazy because they should be used to mountain snows. Maybe so poor they had to hire kids with shovels. As soon as we crossed in MD the roads were fine.

Syracuse does know how to handle snow.
during my daughter's tour of SU, the tour guide said the school never closes/cancels classes due to snow...EVER. She said the school and city are very very efficient as snow removal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gregory the OP is a Cuse alum, booster, CT resident and tata-twister on here. They are having a good year recruiting. I hypothesize his continued presence because of UConn being the better of Cuse while both were in the Big East for football. Must have been very galling. I'm just a dumb fish for responding to it.

Reaction Score
during my daughter's tour of SU, the tour guide said the school never closes/cancels classes due to snow...EVER. She said the school and city are very very efficient as snow removal.
I'm from fitchburg mass. We were always only out two days for blizzards despite all the hills because every 4th person seemingly had a plow. Leominster, equal size, was always out a week. Bummer to childhood and also a bummer as not every sidewalk was clear

Reaction Score
Actually depends. My son lives just south of Syracuse and typically gets less than just north. Lake effect is hit or miss it seems. Syracuse is pretty dumpy but there is a bit more to do there than Mansfield including some pretty good bars and restaurants.
Yeah, I’m in the Syracuse and there has barely been any snow this year and the past few years were kinda light too. CNY is also a great place if you love outdoor activities. I’ve lived in worse places … :oops:

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Looked all of our future independent schedule scores

Reaction Score
Syracuse got embassed by a team today that we lost to by only 3.

Syracuse has very little going on at a city. Nice campus, love upstate new york but not sure how anyone justifies the extra $$ to go there - we just essentially tied them in college rankings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom