Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
"We have another Cuse Crazy Ivan off the port bow!!!"

-Jonesy

1000x500px-LL-786c84c8_norm-4d4d16123a86d-HuntForRedOctoberThe1990.jpg

A great bubblehead movie. Top three movies about submarines along with Crimson Tide and the all-time best, Down Periscope.

Reaction Score
It makes no sense to argue that the punishment for accurately and honestly reporting a student's failure should be less severe than the punishment for fraudulently and dishonestly covering it up?

By the way, dropping out of school only affected the APR because it caused the students to fail classes.
Is it really that hard to understand that an APR ban and a NCAA doled sanctions for an overall lack of institutional control are not the same thing, like they have 0 to do with each other.

Complain about UConn's APR ban, fine, but this is not an APR issue. People saying they should get 2 years because we got 1 have no clue what they are talking about.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
A great bubblehead movie. Top three movies about submarines along with Crimson Tide and the all-time best, Down Periscope.
U-571

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Boeheim is appealing his suspension. First talking point is based on the UNC defense: Everyone on campus was doing drugs and therefore it was not an athletic department violation and therefore NCAA has no jurisdiction.

It sounds like the drug stuff is pretty stupid. If they didn't have a drug policy there wouldn't have been a problem. Note to all Div I teams - don't have a drug policy.

Last edited:

caw

Reaction Score
Overall it appears Cuse got off with a pretty fair judgement. Yes they did escape an additional year of being banned but with what the NCAA actually could prove, I'm not sure they deserved one. You can pout about how they got to choose the year they took the ban, and that's a legit argument on the shadiness of Cuse, but I still don't see how that warrants an additional year.

The scholarship reduction may or may not hamper Cuse much, but I don't think it was an unfair amount either way. Cuse on average only has 11ish scholarship players and usually hand out 2-3 to "walk-ons" who do well in the classroom. With the reduction they will be forced to be very careful with recruitment, not just getting kids who can play right away but also kids who won't hurt the APR. That could be a tightrope for a program not named UK. The second big factor is how long JB stays around, he may not have Calhouns health issues but he's going to be 71 soon. Third, I agree this makes it more likely the AD feels pressure to make a splash when JB retires.

The three things I would have liked to see the NCAA do that I don't think they have yet:

1) retroactively change APR scores for kids where cheating was shown to have occurred (if warranted) and punish as appropriate.
2) Make it not only a scholarship reduction but also only allow 10 counters (close the loophole UConn used to get Drummond).
3) let any incoming freshman out of their LOI.

Cuse is in a pretty decent spot next year, but four years of scholarship reductions and recruiting penalties could be quite detrimental going forward.

Just for my own curiosity they have (if everyone returns):
Cooney (5th year SR)
Gbinge (5th year SR)
Coleman SR
Johnson JR
Patterson JR
Roberson JR
Okuboh JR
Joseph SO
McCullough SO
Franklin FR
Richardson FR
Lydon FR
Diagne FR

That puts them at 13 in 2015-2016 with three seniors. From what has been put out there it appears they can't add any other players unless they somehow get below 10.

If everyone comes back the following year, they have zero scholarships to offer and would lose their verbal (Moyer). There is a chance McCullough leaves but he's a big who is raw, gets knocked pretty often for not playing hard and just had surgery. Call me unconvinced right now. He's like a smaller Drummond but one coming off of surgery. Either way this could be the year they decide to boot some kids (pesky four year scholarships be damned).

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Is it really that hard to understand that an APR ban and a NCAA doled sanctions for an overall lack of institutional control are not the same thing, like they have 0 to do with each other.

Complain about UConn's APR ban, fine, but this is not an APR issue. People saying they should get 2 years because we got 1 have no clue what they are talking about.

I think what some people are saying is that committing academic fraud to avoid the standard APR ban deserves more scrutiny and perhaps a longer ban.

Reaction Score
The problem for Syracuse is that there is no one on the current roster that going forward is an impact player. Ennis and Grant leaving unexpectedly caught them off guard and unprepared and what we saw this year was Syracuse's least talented team in a while. The scholarship reduction is not going to make this any easier for them. Next year's team, without Boeheim for 9 acc games, is not a tournament team. They have to some how come up with a way to flush this mediocre core out and with yesterday's rulings it could get messy. I don't expect Boeheim to go quietly so I expect an all-out Calipari style war. Take scholarships away from exsiting kids, and pay the Battles type stuff. Should be interesting.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that I have had Sports Center on for quite a while and have been in and out of the room and haven't heard boo about Boeheim. I guess the SU camera jocks that came out of their Comm programs have placed a moratorium on all things SU

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that I have had Sports Center on for quite a while and have been in and out of the room and haven't heard boo about Boeheim. I guess the SU camera jocks that came out of their Comm programs have placed a moratorium on all things SU
I take it back saw a short review where the talking head said something to the effect that they Boeheim lost some games. Then on to top ten plays

Reaction Score

People are pointing out a simple fact. The NCAA rewards you for cheating. If you report ineligible players, you are banned for the following postseason after your low score. If you don't report them, you get off scot-free. Unless you get caught. But even then, it's not as bad as reporting them.

I think 99.9% of the board understands this.

Husky25

Reaction Score
ESPN is the only Sports "News" outlet that does not have Syracuse on the front page (in fairness, it is the first story on the NCAAB page, :rolleyes:). I've been watching SportsCenter for about an hour now. There have been two features the Hawks-Cavs game from last night, but the first mention of Boeheim (other than the BottomLine) was from Jay Bilas on College game day, just now.

Husky25

Reaction Score
John Skipper is a UNC Chapel Hill alum. I can't wait for the gloss-over those penalties receive. Bristol will be more zipped up than the Seinfeld and Friends series finales combined.

Reaction Score
I have an account over there. They are very concerned and angry for the most part.

Watch it, they read the Boneyard, if they don't like what you post, they'll ban you.

Reaction Score
The Funster said:
I think what some people are saying is that committing academic fraud to avoid the standard APR ban deserves more scrutiny and perhaps a longer ban.

Yep. Is that "really so hard to understand"?

Reaction Score
If you had proof this was done, or would have happened, maybe, but there is not.

That would also be a legal nightmare for the NCAA if they did that, and would almost certainly be overturned on appeal.

Reaction Score
People are pointing out a simple fact. The NCAA rewards you for cheating. If you report ineligible players, you are banned for the following postseason after your low score. If you don't report them, you get off scot-free. Unless you get caught. But even then, it's not as bad as reporting them.

I think 99.9% of the board understands this.
So you are saying Cuse got less of a penalty for this than UConn did for their APR ban?

Reaction Score
Has anyone heard from Rrlbees. She's a pretty heady poster and a major Cuse donor. If I'm the Chancellor, Gross and Boeheim, I'd be worried about a 'let's talk' text

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom