Syracuse.com: Top 15 Coaching Jobs in CBB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Syracuse.com: Top 15 Coaching Jobs in CBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
2011 was undefeated in neutral court games against a schedule that you make the Orange hide under their beds. It was not a fluke by any stretch.

I can't help it if people insist on following the herd.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
According to the "best coaching jobs" in the title. UNC does not belong on the list at all. The next coach there will likely have the WORST job in college basketball, replacing a disgraced legend with tons of sanctions weighing on the program.

Reaction Score
Honestly we are probably around honorable mention for best coaching jobs in America. However, the ONLY reason for it being that low is because of the conference we're in. No need to put in the two shots about how the "titles were fluky" and "what happens once ollie leaves"??????????

It just shows how badly cuse is bothered by our success that they would put that stuff in there...any other fanbase would feel the conference situation is enough to justify not being in the top 15...

and obviously putting themselves at #8 is laughable

but coaching jobs is based on situation...it has nothing to do whether Ollie leaves or not. We could have Coach K and still not be top 15 at this point...Ollie being at the helm or not does not influence it...and we do have Ollie at the helm so IMO we're in pretty good shape...sh!tty conference or not.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Couldn't you argue that their title was also fluky? They were only a 3 seed, which is what we were in 2011...
Well yeah but the big difference you're choosing to ignore is that Cuse had the best player in the tournament that year.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
In what world is winning 11 straight games against: DePaul, Gtown (top 20), Pitt (3), Cuse (19), Lousiville (11), Bucknell, Cincinnati, SDSU (top 20), Arizona (top 15), UK, Butler in any way "flukey"

Reaction Score
Well yeah but the big difference you're choosing to ignore is that Cuse had the best player in the tournament that year.

Kemba_Walker_Final_Four_Uconn.jpg

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
Well, Kemba was pretty good too!

Reaction Score
Syracuse after 2011: "Yeah, but what will happen once Jim Calhoun leaves?"
Syracuse after 2014: "Yeah, but what will happen once Kevin Ollie leaves?"
Yeah and this is the same fanbase after the BE implosion told us that 3 NCs are all we'll ever get.

Reaction Score
100% if UConn moved to the Big 10 Big 12 or ACC tomnorrow they would be easily in the top 10. However when looking at coaching jobs its fair to question how good of a job it is anymore. We are not in a major conference which really hurts us. As far as recruiting sure there's nothing in Connecticut but it's close enough to NY/Philly/Boston/ Baltimore that its not that big of a strike, and UConn has upgraded their facilities too. I think everyone confuses best coaching job with best program....they can be entirely different things. If your're ranking the best programs UConn is top 10 easily. But, seriously hypothetically if Kevin Ollie had went to OKC what big name coach would be running to coach in the AAC....I think its fair to leave UConn off the elite of the elite when it comes to coaching jobs. Doesn't mean its a bad job by any means and the only reason Syracuse is perceived as better is because of their conference. They were dead on about Indiana though....you don't have to leave the state for elite talent and you're in a major conference with a passionate fan base. I grew up in Indiana for many people Indiana Basketball is a religion.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Yes, 4>1

but 4>>>>1*

*Syracuse's one National Championship comes during the period of 3 concurrent scandals of player drug use, player payoff's and university endorsed academic fraud and their associated cover up. Accordingly, most in college basketball view Syracuse lone title as tainted and diminshed in value.

Reaction Score
None of these schools are currently good coaching jobs. They all have incumbent coaches already. "What happens when Kevin Ollie leaves?" Then UConn becomes a good coaching job, because it is vacant. To call our last two National Championships fluky is silly as everyone has pointed out. We beat teams everyone thought were better than us. That is not fluky. If we had won every single game on a last second circus shot at the buzzer maybe he would have an argument.

Reaction Score
Every idiot PC and Cuse fan has said these exact statements ad nausem and I love it. It has got to suck being such losers

Reaction Score
WOW dakich. continuing his rep as a crazy blowhard. Uconn plays in the state that homes the best prep league in the country ( well MA, NH as well, but close drives). what does dan dakich know about whats a good coaching job, he's never had one nor has he ever been to the dance.
I actually do not think UConn is a great job but the fact that he says Gonzaga is is flat out ridiculous.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Syracuse after Jim B leaves - "After all these years what difference does it make?"

Reaction Score
Hopefully he sends you an answer.
I was hoping some of you would pick up Dan Dakish on Colin yesterday. I was eating breakfast and I nearly choked when I heard him. I ended up writing an email to the show because I couldn't believe how terrible that was. Here it is.

Hey Colin,

I'm a graduate student and I frequently listen to your show while doing work or studying, mostly because it's not generic like most radio shows on ESPN. I think you do a good job with your show. The reason for this email is that I listened to your show this morning and heard you discuss top college basketball jobs. You and your guest Dan Dakich mentioned how UConn is not a top college job, and referred to Indiana, Syracuse and Gonzaga as better jobs. Now, I'm okay with Kentucky, Kansas, and Duke as better jobs, but my problem is with the aforementioned schools. What is your rationale for this?

It can't be recent National Championships. (1999, 2004, 2011, 2014). Indiana? (Last was 1987). Syracuse? (2003) Gonzaga (2 elite eights in program history)

It can't be NBA draft picks (Ray Allen, Richard Hamilton, Ben Gordon, Caron Butler, Kemba Walker, Andre Drummond, Charlie Villanueva, Emeka Okafor, Rudy Gay...)

It can't be facilities. (New practice facility opened last year)

Furthermore, which many media outlets forget to address, is that Uconn wins without getting one and done talent. We've had one guy be a one and done (Andre Drummond), and we have 4 national championships in 16 years. That's attributed to developing kids who weren't as highly touted out of high school. We get kids and develop them on and off the floor (see Shabazz Napier). We don't rely on one and done players to win. The lack of national respect for the program is crazy.

You could argue our conference affiliation, which is based on football which is a whole other story. Even with our situation, we get by with bulking the schedule. Most are confident we will move conferences in the near future. You could also argue that Calhoun retired, but we have Kevin Ollie. The same guy who had the opportunity to coach two of the best players on the planet in Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, but stayed at UConn. He's also won a national championship and has done well on the recruiting trail.

Again, I like your show and will continue to listen, but I thought this needed to be addressed.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01