"Symbol of might to the foe" | The Boneyard

"Symbol of might to the foe"

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Embarrassed to admit that I never memorized the words to the UConn Fight Song, but I am liking the UConn commercial they're showing during our games where they sing part of it, and the teacher-looking woman emphasizes the "Symbol of might to the foe" line, which is definitely one I didn't recall. Great line.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I remember that line. I don't think I can recall much else except the beginning.

Reaction Score
When I was on the cheerleading team, all of us (men and women) had to do a complex and ridiculous series of arm motions along with the fight song. (I just tried it in my office and learned I still remember the motions after 12 years!) Nowadays, I see the male cheerleaders just clapping along to the song. Makes me so salty!

As far as the words to the fight song go, I find them to be super lame, but I'm sure most college fight songs are corny as all getout.

Reaction Score
Embarrassed to admit that I never memorized the words to the UConn Fight Song, but I am liking the UConn commercial they're showing during our games where they sing part of it, and the teacher-looking woman emphasizes the "Symbol of might to the foe" line, which is definitely one I didn't recall. Great line.
That's Gina Barreca. I think still a prof at UC. She used to write a column for the Courant.

Reaction Score

UConn Husky

UConn Husky, symbol of might to the foe.
Fight, fight Connecticut, it’s victr’y, Let’s go
Connecticut UConn Husky, victr’y again for the White and Blue
So go, go, go Connecticut, Connecticut U. Fight!
C-O-N-N-E-C-T-I C-U-T. Connecticut,
Connecticut Husky,
Connecticut Husky, Connecticut C-O-N-N-U. Fight! (repeat)

This isn't exactly as I remember it, but my memory isn't exactly as I remember it, either.

Reaction Score
Perhaps one in which the singer needed to distinguish a "Connecticut UConn Husky" from a Y-u-k-o-n husky?
Back in the 70s I remember telling a non-local adult cousin I was going to go to UConn. She thought I meant Alaska.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That was the line that always threw me. Makes no sense.

That was the only other line I actually remembered.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
"Fight, fight Connecticut, it’s victr’y, Let’s go"

I've always questioned this line. It should be TO victory, and i would love to see evidence that this is the actual lyric.

And trust me, I've sang and played this more than you all combined. :)

Reaction Score
"Fight, fight Connecticut, it’s victr’y, Let’s go"

I've always questioned this line. It should be TO victory, and i would love to see evidence that this is the actual lyric.

And trust me, I've sang and played this more than you all combined. :)
I got it from the UConn Band website along with a history of it, as well as the Alma Mater (which I never knew) and assorted other stuff.

Fight Song

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I got it from the UConn Band website along with a history of it, as well as the Alma Mater (which I never knew) and assorted other stuff.

Fight Song

Yep - totally not blaming you - that page actually sort of points to my ongoing suspicion:

"The current arrangement of France’s “UConn Husky,” as played by the UConn Marching Band, is an adaptation by David Maker, professor of music, of an earlier arrangement by Jerry Bilik."

I'm guessing between the multiple arrangements that something got switched.

Reaction Score
I remember a version of the lyrics that included "Rah, rah rah" instead of "Go, go, go"!! I think it evolves over time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Connecticut UConn Huskies symbol of mind to the foe;
Fight, fight Connecticut, for victory, let’s go!
Connecticut UConn Huskies go for the white and blue;
So go, fight, go, fight, go, fight, go fight, for victory, Connecticut U…

As an experiment, I sang it in voice to text. I’m close, but not quite right…

[shrugs]

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Back in the 70s I remember telling a non-local adult cousin I was going to go to UConn. She thought I meant Alaska.
I remember having drinks bought for me over spring break in Florida based upon people making that same assumption.

I saw no point in correcting them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom