Sylva | The Boneyard

Sylva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Unfortunate he won't be here for spring practice, but not a big deal. We wouldn't have needed him to take his redshirt off in '12 even if he had the benefit of spring practice.

Reaction Score
Unfortunate he won't be here for spring practice, but not a big deal. We wouldn't have needed him to take his redshirt off in '12 even if he had the benefit of spring practice.

I don't think he will be redshirting. I think he has the chance to make his presence felt right away. He will battle for a starting spot and get playing time as a freshman IMO.

Reaction Score
I think Hicks will be in the mix there as well.

Agreed. LOoks like a big thumper. Can really get after it rushing the passer and stopping the run. Sylva sounds like a better cover guy than a run stopper like Hicks. Both have great size, but both do different things well. Adds good depth and gives Don Brown some more weapons to work with.

Reaction Score
I don't think he will be redshirting. I think he has the chance to make his presence felt right away. He will battle for a starting spot and get playing time as a freshman IMO.

Bama Wilson redshirted. Scott Lutrus redshirted. Sio Moore redshirted. The only LB who I can think of in recent years who played as a true frosh was Greg Lloyd, and he only played special teams.

We return all three starting LBs, two of whom are seniors. We return all three players who started the year as backups (Opoku, Kenney and Osiecki. We return Jerome Williams, who would have started last year but for an injury last spring. We return Ashinu and Vann, two players who made the two deep as true frosh but still redshirted. And Donohue, the transfer from Maryland who came with Brown, gets to play. That's ten deep at LB. Not counting Brandon Steg, who played on specials, or Maher, the transfer from 'Nova.

The odds that either Hicks or Sylva plays this year is incredibly slim.

Reaction Score
Bama Wilson redshirted. Scott Lutrus redshirted. Sio Moore redshirted. The only LB who I can think of in recent years who played as a true frosh was Greg Lloyd, and he only played special teams.

We return all three starting LBs, two of whom are seniors. We return all three players who started the year as backups (Opoku, Kenney and Osiecki. We return Jerome Williams, who would have started last year but for an injury last spring. We return Ashinu and Vann, two players who made the two deep as true frosh but still redshirted. And Donohue, the transfer from Maryland who came with Brown, gets to play. That's ten deep at LB. Not counting Brandon Steg, who played on specials, or Maher, the transfer from 'Nova.

The odds that either Hicks or Sylva plays this year is incredibly slim.

All of those guys redshirted when Edsall was the head coach. Don Brown has a much different scheme than past DC's. They need depth. They need bodies with fresh legs. They were also all guys recruited by HCPP. Just my opinion, but I don't believe we will see them redshirted. I think they will have the chance to play right away, maybe not as starters but I think they will see the field.

Reaction Score
I think these are more "prototype" guys PP and DB are looking for. With that being said there is some returning talent, but a stable of ten horses is a lot better for competition to get the max out of everyone on every play. If it was that thin last year you have to wonder how hard everyone was pushed to compete for playing time. Hopefully they both can be good at one thing and be a huge special teams contributor. That would be a great goal for a true freshman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom