Swofford gives ND ultimatum??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks a Big10 invite is coming ... put down the crack pipe

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The only outlets that stated the ACC (or even the B-12) was willing to consider partial membership for ND were either miles from being credible or pundits speculating on how they felt others (B-12, ACC) would operate.

ND does not want to give up its independence but the day may arrive where they have no choice. Until then they may well do their homework but they will not act. Also, while I have seen dozens of credible arguments on why ND would prefer the ACC to the B1G, when push finally does come to shove, there is far too much history between ND and B1G schools for any other conference to be a consideration, especially if at some point in the future the B1G has a NYC/Northeast presence (can always hope for UConn) to pair with its Chicago presence.

I am fully aware of the fact that (primarily the final four appearances of VCU and GM along with Buytler's back to back championship games) that the claim that being on the outside of a BCS conference would make success in men's basketball impossible. It does appear however that a few of the BE's catholic members fully buy into this premise (the three highest profile catholic members of the conference for starters) and have been attempting to find any way to land in a conference that will be around in a few years and viewed in the two revenue sports as major. The all catholic (with a few additions) conference should be solid in men's hoops. Nova, G'Town and ND from all appearances believe it won't be good enough for what they want to accomplish (what I found stunning was that Nova never considered the Linc when a BE football bid was at stake but shortly after Pitt & Cuse left, they contacted the Linc to see if something could be worked out). Go figure.

Reaction Score
I'm beginning to think some posters on this forum don't like the greatest school in America. Have you seen Touchdown Jesus in person?

Reaction Score
I'm beginning to think some posters on this forum don't like the greatest school in America. Have you seen Touchdown Jesus in person?
Yup. I love ND. Love beating them in front of TD JC.

Reaction Score
This isn't so much of an ultimatum, more of a here's the conditions if you're interested in joining. An ultimatum would be an invite with a timeline to join, "Hey ND, we're expanding to 16 teams, would love for you to be all in. UConn just accepted to get us to 15. Our plan is to have either ND or RU as 16 we'd prefer it be you. Are you in or are you out? Let us know by next Friday. If we don't hear from you we'll assume it's a no and call Rutgers."

Reaction Score
Yup. I love ND. Love beating them in front of TD JC.
You must be thinking of the lovely way the ND girls spanked the UConn women in the tourney last Spring. I still can't believe it. Or maybe your thinking of the beating the boys dished out last January to your mighty BB team?

Reaction Score
You must be thinking of the lovely way the ND girls spanked the UConn women in the tourney last Spring. I still can't believe it. Or maybe your thinking of the beating the boys dished out last January to your mighty BB team?
Our national championship Men's BB team, no, not what I was thinking of. That's 2 guesses, you get one more, don't blow it. Here's a few hints. Think early November, think 2009, think about the venue TD JC overlooks. Think Charlie Weiss. Think Andre Dixon and Jordan Todman. Okay, now guess.

Reaction Score
It will be a sad day in Dublin, a day of mourning should the fair lady ND join the ACC. A league woefully lacking in honor, plus it would be a sizeable cut in pay.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Typical Friar (even if this one is not of the PC variety). Puts more value in a mid season upset than end of season hardware.

Reaction Score
Our national championship Men's BB team, no, not what I was thinking of. That's 2 guesses, you get one more, don't blow it. Here's a few hints. Think early November, think 2009, think about the venue TD JC overlooks. Think Charlie Weiss. Think Andre Dixon and Jordan Todman. Okay, now guess.
2009, I can barely remember yesterday.
You mean the day we played our JV boys? That was a mistake wasn't it. Well here's to next time. When is next time again?

Reaction Score
You mean the day we played our JV boys? That was a mistake wasn't it. Well here's to next time. When is next time again?

probably about the time that Notre Dame returns to a BCS game... might be a while

Reaction Score
Typical Friar (even if this one is not of the PC variety). Puts more value in a mid season upset than end of season hardware.
You wouldn't be making derogatory remarks about the fine institution over in Providence. I assume you want to go to heaven someday. "Oh when the saints, come marching in, oh when the saints come marching in. Oh I want to be in that number when the saints come marching in." One of my favorite tunes. Sounded especially fine the evening of January 17, 2011. I believe the final score was 81 - 56, ouch.

Reaction Score
probably about the time that Notre Dame returns to a BCS game... might be a while
You thinking UConn will be in a BCS bowl this time around, I think that's a bit optimistic.

Reaction Score
Ahh yesterday, you dont remember.

Yesterday,
All the BE troubles seemed so far away,
Now it looks as though they're here to stay,
Oh, I believe in yesterday.

Suddenly,
We're not half the conference we used to be,
There's a shadow hanging over the BE,
Oh, yesterday came suddenly.

Why SyraPitt
Had to go I don't know, they wouldn't say.
I said,
Something wrong, now I long for yesterday.

Yesterday,
Keeping aQ status was such an easy game to play,
Now UConn needs a new place to play,

Why SyraPitt
I said,

Yesterday,
Scheduling conference games was such an easy game to play,
Now UConn needs a new league today,

Mm-mm-mm-mm-mm-mm-mmm

Reaction Score
Ahh yesterday, you dont remember.

Yesterday,
All the BE troubles seemed so far away,
Now it looks as though they're here to stay,

Suddenly,
We're not half the conference we used to be,
There's a shadow hanging over the BE,
Oh, yesterday came suddenly.

Why SyraPitt
I said,

Yesterday,
Keeping aQ status was such an easy game to play,
Now UConn needs a new place to play,

Why SyraPitt
I said,

Yesterday,
Scheduling conference games was such an easy game to play,
Now UConn needs a new league today,

Mm-mm-mm-mm-mm-mm-mmm
Not bad.

Reaction Score
This will only make ND more determined to remain independent. They will remain independent until they absolutely would not be able to play for a national title without joining a conference.

They're going to find it very hard to find opponents for their non-revenue sports. Who is going to play them without some conference affiliation? How is ND going to fill a schedule when most every other school is fully booked?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'll get on that wagon - but pass me the pipe first.

B1G will go West before it goes East.
Go West to who? Kansas/Kansas State? Sorry that's not happening. Missouri is already gone for the SEC. Texas isn't going to capitulate... the B1G is running out of options. IF they expand beyond 12 the only way to go is east.

Reaction Score
They're going to find it very hard to find opponents for their non-revenue sports. Who is going to play them without some conference affiliation? How is ND going to fill a schedule when most every other school is fully booked?

They can stick with the catholic hoops schools and even help them form a new league if push comes to shove. ND is not joining a conference for football until there would be no other option for football. They will let their other sports take a step back if it means preserving football independence.

Reaction Score
And supposedly Geno is getting in on the action...

jacobscourant Jeff Jacobs

Oh boy, Geno Auriemma called out Notre Dame for never joining Big East in football.
Geno: "For a lot of us it's a huge problem ... how long are we going to date before we decide this ain't working....I'm not happy about it.

Geno: "That's not the opinion of UConn, Big East, my president, my AD. That's just Geno Auriemma's opinion. I'm pissed about it."

Geno on ND; "One school holds the future of our league in the palm of their hand and they're not really that concerned about it."

More Geno on ND: "If you have the ability to put a whole bunch of schools at ease and have the Catholic mentality to serve and help ..."

Reaction Score
I love Geno, but he's wrong.

Using his analogy, Notre Dame was up front about their insistence on seeing other people from the start. The Big East is in love and wants exclusivity. But Notre Dame isn't going to agree to that, and was up front from the beginning about that. Don't blame anyone but yourself for thinking you could make a girl fall in love when she keeps telling you she only wants to date and have fun. ND isn't joining, and they aren't the reason the Big East collapsed. Blaming the collapse on their lack of a commitment to Big East football, when they have made it very clear they were never committed to Big East football, is intellectually dishonest and borderline pathetic.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Which is why you have to hand it to the ACC for their stance on the subject. Sure they would benefit financially from a nonFB deal with Notre Dame, but equality of membership is more important to them. They are fully capable of walking away from bad deal. The BE is not. If everyone's, BB included, interested in stability then ND has to go. You won't have it otherwise. The spectre of 4x16 will always be out there. I guess that's what we find so fascinating, "How will it end?"

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds