Swofford gives ND ultimatum?? | The Boneyard

Swofford gives ND ultimatum??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No idea how reliable this source is but it quotes Swofford as saying
We're an all-in, revenue-equal conference. ... That's what works for us.

The author seems to think that means ND needs to make a decision but more than likely I think it just means nothing is imminent.

Reaction Score
Makes sense because the ACC is all sports, equal revenue since 1953 and they're not going to change that. Also makes sense that ACC wants UConn + ND. ND will probably get some more time but if a domino starts to fall (Missouri to SEC) then ND may be forced to declare. We'll see.

Reaction Score
This is the guy that revealed the names and titles of the ACC expansion committee members. He's definitely legitmate.

More:

DavidTeelatDP David Teel

Well-played by #ACC. If Notre Dame wants in, bring football. If not, no hard feelings and have a nice life.
DavidTeelatDP David Teel

Question for Notre Dame becomes, how palatable is reconfigured Big East and how does that weigh w/football independence?
DavidTeelatDP David Teel

Biggest news from Swofford today: #ACC hoops tournament very likely to be 5 days, and Notre Dame need not apply without football.

DavidTeelatDP David Teel

@smoot1918 Yes, I believe Notre Dame and #ACC have talked. UConn gets ACC invite only if Notre Dame joins.

Reaction Score
That is, if true, bad news. There were reports that the ACC would take ND as a non-football member, and would take us with them if that happened. That was, I believe, our best bet to get out of this mess unscathed.

ND is not joining a conference for football in the near future unless we are going from 6 BCS conferences to 4 superconferences -- the reason being 4 superconferences will have a 4 team playoff, with their champions, that will exclude someone else. But we're not near that day yet. The Pac Ten's balking on taking OU and Texas puts that off until the Big XII media pooling agreement is over in a number of years. Until then, if the foregoing is true, nothing other than an SEC raid of the ACC will save us.

And, if the foregoing is true, it means the Big XII better fill Mizzou's spot (if it leaves) with BYU, because if they take Louisville this could get very ugly very quickly.

Reaction Score
Not as positive as if ND was being considered as an "affiliate" member, or whatever they would call it.

However, what will Notre Dame's options be if there is no viable Big East?

A lot of assumptions, but this has been the plan:

If Louisville,WVU and Cincy go, and the basketball schools break away, would Notre Dame be content with:

Nova, Georgetown, SJU, PC, SHU, DePaul, Marquette, maybe XU and another mid major?

If hoops break away, BE football takes Memphis and Temple.

Remember, it isn't just how those catholic schools are playing now, it's also how well will they fare in the future.

Aside from Villanova, Marquette and G'Town, that is a bad league. And even those 3 haven't exactly lit the world on fire.

Notre Dame's hand will be forced.

That is, if true, bad news. There were reports that the ACC would take ND as a non-football member, and would take us with them if that happened. That was, I believe, our best bet to get out of this mess unscathed.

Reaction Score
Not as positive as if ND was being considered as an "affiliate" member, or whatever they would call it.

However, what will Notre Dame's options be if there is no viable Big East?

A lot of assumptions, but this has been the plan:

If Louisville,WVU and Cincy go, and the basketball schools break away, would Notre Dame be content with:

Nova, Georgetown, SJU, PC, SHU, DePaul, Marquette, maybe XU and another mid major?

If hoops break away, BE football takes Memphis and Temple.

Remember, it isn't just how those catholic schools are playing now, it's also how well will they fare in the future.

Aside from Villanova, Marquette and G'Town, that is a bad league. And even those 3 haven't exactly lit the world on fire.

Notre Dame's hand will be forced.

Yes, but forced to go where? Does anyone really believe that if all they're getting is a be like everybody else deal they're not heading to the Big Ten? If the ACC wants them, they have to be offering more than the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
This will only make ND more determined to remain independent. They will remain independent until they absolutely would not be able to play for a national title without joining a conference.

Reaction Score
Yes, but forced to go where? Does anyone really believe that if all they're getting is a be like everybody else deal they're not heading to the Big Ten? If the ACC wants them, they have to be offering more than the Big Ten.

That makes me want to throw up. WVU and UL to B12, ND to B1G means RU to B1G as #14, and us with no home.

Reaction Score
If our wagon is hitched to ND's decision making process than we're screwed, because the only loyalty that will emerge for them is the bottom line $$. They have never been a good deal for us or the BE and this will be the final nail for letting them string us along with a few football matchups the last few years. They have a plan B and C and we don't even have a plan A. They're not sweating a bit over our situation.

Reaction Score
ND playing for a national title. Now that's some funny darn.

It's hilarious. It won't happen whether they join a conference or not but as long as the system doesn't make it impossible they will not join a conference for football. It's not going to happen.

Reaction Score
If the only two options available to Notre Dame are to join the Big 10 or ACC, I like those odds.

In the meantime Notre Dame is doing whatever it can to make sure its plaything stays alive.

The longterm deal signed with Navy puts Navy on the schedule every year. They aren't scheduled to play again. My guess is shows up on the schedule. I wonder whatever happened to those mythical contractually required 3 Big East games they are supposed to play each year? Are Marinatto and ND's President making sure that those games happen?:

Notre Dame's future schedule:

2013 1 Big East game scheduled (against Pitt)
2014 No Big East games scheduled (2 against ACC teams, including Pitt & SU)
2015 No Big East games scheduled (4 against ACC teams, including SU & Pitt)
2016 No Big East games scheduled (4 against ACC teams, including SU & Pitt)

It appears that the head of the realignment committee of the Big East, Father Jenkins of ND, sure is helping out the ACC more than the Big East.

Reaction Score
I actually don't think that Notre Dame is really thrilled at the prospects of going to the Big 10. In many respects they would be a fish out of water, much more than in the Big East or the ACC. every one of those schools is huge. Even Northwestern has 15,000 students compared to ND's 8500 or so. And while the Irish play them, they are in many ways culturally a very different beast. In other words they aren't a good match. They might end up there, but it will be more because they view the B-10 as the least bad choice. The ACC has its problems too, but with a mix of more modest sized public schools, and private ones as well as some highly regarded academic institutions both public and private, ND is probably a better fit. The problems are the southern focus and the location though that is changing obvioulsy, and the reputations of some of the members like Miami, Florida State and Clemson. Plus the fundamental question is which of your longtime rivals do you give up to play Wake Forest and Maryland?

Reaction Score
Just for the fact that it's Swofford, I'd like to hear that ND came back after a week with, "Well the board members, the President, and the AD are at an impass between two possible responses - 'No way' or 'Hell no'. Give us another week to pray over it."

Reaction Score
I think ND might be inclined to just stay with the catholics unless they really have to give up independence but who knows. What is more valuable to them? I think keeping ND would be the only way the BE basketball league would survive if all of the football schools left. They'd certainly still be able to be the boss. I could see them just bringing the BE hoops schools with them over to NBC and adding 2 or 4 more and not care at all about the BE football conference imploding.

Reaction Score
ND isn't going to the ACC and neither are we. I predict ND ultimately joins the Big 10 along with UConn, Rutgers and (?) Maryland. This gives the conference the eastern lean ND is looking for re recruiting and alumni contacts while providing some great matchups and academic synergies that both the conference and Susan Herbst is looking for. We are much more like the Big 10 schools, and ND, more than any other school, wants our BBall (Mens and Womens) in whatever conference they're in. It also provides UConn with the the impetus to upgrade its football--stadium, recruiting, coaching etc. It also helps with fundraising and building the endowment--trust me on how the money will flow. The stability of being with like minded universities, with real drawing power, finally makes The Rent the place to be on Saturdays in the fall. You can keep dismissing this scenario all you want but I can feel it in the air. Anyone want to climb on the wagon?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Ever since this latest merry-go-round has started I have felt the B1g to be our landing spot. It fits geographically and academically. IMO, UConn and Rutgers should be partnering to build our profile and capture the tristate market.

Reaction Score
ND isn't going to the ACC and neither are we. I predict ND ultimately joins the Big 10 along with UConn, Rutgers and (?) Maryland. This gives the conference the eastern lean ND is looking for re recruiting and alumni contacts while providing some great matchups and academic synergies that both the conference and Susan Herbst is looking for. We are much more like the Big 10 schools, and ND, more than any other school, wants our BBall (Mens and Womens) in whatever conference they're in. It also provides UConn with the the impetus to upgrade its football--stadium, recruiting, coaching etc. It also helps with fundraising and building the endowment--trust me on how the money will flow. The stability of being with like minded universities, with real drawing power, finally makes The Rent the place to be on Saturdays in the fall. You can keep dismissing this scenario all you want but I can feel it in the air. Anyone want to climb on the wagon?

With all due respect to Ms. Herbst, what she wants is simply not driving the bus here.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think both freescooter and Nostical make some good points. I'm not so sure ND to the B10 is automatic as among the expected four super-conferences. The ND alumni definitely have some serious resistance to joining the B10, and it is my understanding that they are the ones who quashed the move last time. The ACC has some demographic attraction for ND, and it would have a much better chance of performing well against its conference rivals in football there than it would in the B10. But Nostical's idea may not be far off, either. The thing I don't like about either scenario is that our fate is tied to Notre Dame; but we already knew that. Just doesn't feel like the safest place to be.

Reaction Score
It also speaks to having TV markets in the northeast to get better bang for the buck from the Big 10 Network. And whether most sports media folks like to admit it, UConn is a much better brand than Pitt or Syracuse.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score

Timely question, seeing as the past couple of months has apparently caused many UConn fans to fall off the wagon...

Reaction Score
With all due respect to Ms. Herbst, what she wants is simply not driving the bus here.

She may not be Ralph Cramden, but whatever Susan wants, Susan gets. It's just that it sounded like she was looking South with all her public pronouncements, when in reality all that so called "hard begging" was countered by her more private conversations.

Reaction Score

I'll get on that wagon - but pass me the pipe first.

B1G will go West before it goes East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds